Guelph Storm 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

StorminNorman

Dec 3, 2015
You have 4 OAs listed (Daws, Gogolev, Uba & Stevenson), so one cannot return. If there is a trade, that could return a replacement. A third 16 year old could take that spot.

I think the centre position lacks experience. Someone else is needed to shelter the young players. If not, it could isolate the wingers, forcing them to play without the puck. I would pick up an OA centre to complement Gogolev and have Daws in net.

Reactions: StormWatcher

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
You have 4 OAs listed (Daws, Gogolev, Uba & Stevenson), so one cannot return. If there is a trade, that could return a replacement. A third 16 year old could take that spot.

I think the centre position lacks experience. Someone else is needed to shelter the young players. If not, it could isolate the wingers, forcing them to play without the puck. I would pick up an OA centre to complement Gogolev and have Daws in net.

OA centres seem like a scarce commodity. I'd have to sew faceoff stats of Zhilkin, Maillet, Sikic, Walker. A young team for sure, but as long as they're working on what they need to and developing good habits it's where we are at. I like what Uba brings. Obviously it would be likely that Gogolev and maybe Daws are moved out by the OA deadline. Drafting a centre with the 1st round pick would be wise. I like how Zhilkin is emerging.

Reactions: storm surge

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
Daws and Gogolev will be back next year, you can quote me on it. Hillis is likely gone unless it's another Phillips.
If NTC's were in effect, as I suspect, the hope is getting a return for Gogolev and Daws next season. I agree Bennett will likely be a good future starter, but we would then have 0 backup had Daws left at the deadline. Leaving Bennett under fire after a hard sell.

So what you would be looking at in that instance is that George didn't trade away Hillis. Oh well, he's the captain on a very young team. Lalonde, Hawel, and Popovich trades still put us in O.K. asset shape, now it's up to good drafting and hopefully recouping a few more picks next year.
oh Nooooooo;.. trade Capn Cam?........the bloom is off the rose from last year it seems.. that game gainst the green thing from the dastardly offensive Lord smirking Merkleys forest abode down the shire path;....was HO rendous..The pixy dust is off the crew tw'ood appear..Saw some moves that I would be exasperated by from a tier 2 team of wood dwarves.. ..1 shot one goal....ho hummmmm.... next my (sad to say Gogo lev)..throws puck across HIS blue .. nothing but ice in front of him to the foresters goal..and right to the last opposing player to his right.. in green....who nearly works it with His lordship of Smirk vale;.. for a goal..Hope this team wakes up .. or we could be seeing last place.. high pick standing and nobody wants much off our roster.. ..wear a surgical mask #3.. you still appear clear of the virus...

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
oh Nooooooo;.. trade Capn Cam?........the bloom is off the rose from last year it seems.. that game gainst the green thing from the dastardly offensive Lord smirking Merkleys forest abode down the shire path;....was HO rendous..The pixy dust is off the crew tw'ood appear..Saw some moves that I would be exasperated by from a tier 2 team of wood dwarves.. ..1 shot one goal....ho hummmmm.... next my (sad to say Gogo lev)..throws puck across HIS blue .. nothing but ice in front of him to the foresters goal..and right to the last opposing player to his right.. in green....who nearly works it with His lordship of Smirk vale;.. for a goal..Hope this team wakes up .. or we could be seeing last place.. high pick standing and nobody wants much off our roster.. ..wear a surgical mask #3.. you still appear clear of the virus...

Cam will be in the AHL next year.

Reactions: StorminNorman

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
So I'm reading that the vets were kept because of some combination of blocking trades and the want to have them back (possibly) for OA years....

But then I'm also reading that they can be shipped out before next year's trade deadline....

When exactly does that mean this team aims to contend? I had thought it was next year, but I guess now we are looking at 21/22?

And while I'm preeeeeety sure this team won't fall into 9th/10th, the way this they're playing, the playoffs are no guarantee.

To me, this is starting to feel like previous years....no real plan.....goal posts keep moving.....players held on to for too long.

At least last year was a blast! Prove me wrong (again) GMGB!

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
So I'm reading that the vets were kept because of some combination of blocking trades and the want to have them back (possibly) for OA years....

But then I'm also reading that they can be shipped out before next year's trade deadline....

When exactly does that mean this team aims to contend? I had thought it was next year, but I guess now we are looking at 21/22?

And while I'm preeeeeety sure this team won't fall into 9th/10th, the way this they're playing, the playoffs are no guarantee.

To me, this is starting to feel like previous years....no real plan.....goal posts keep moving.....players held on to for too long.

should Hugo-Has return next season, the storm will have two 19 yr old skaters; next season was never considered a contending one. That should have been realized when Burnett shipped out (2001 born 1st, 2nd, 3-3rd picks) last year for a championship.

Last edited:

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013

'01-'02 is always the year I've predicted. Chayka's 4th year. We have no '01 forwards so next year was never the year in my opinion.

Reactions: RoyalCitySlicker

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
should Hugo-Has return next season, the storm will have two 19 yr old skaters; next season was never considered a contending one. That should have been realized when Burnett shipped out (2001 born 1st, 2nd, 3-3rd picks) last year for a championship.

What they said. Sorry, I posted my reply before reading yours.

Reactions: dirty12

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Fair enough. I guess I had hoped they would be able to bring back an '01 at the deadline to change that. 21-22 it is!

This year was always supposed to be a tough one, but it would be nice to end the season with some momentum.

Let's hope they can shake it off.

stormtracker

Apr 29, 2006
Guelph
That 5-1 win over the Soo was needed. Still a tight race. Going to be uphill to get to having home ice advantage in the first round but a winning streak could help.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
I ask a simple question and get attacked? He was noted for this behaviour in Guelph. That he didn't shows he may be maturing under Hunter, which is a good thing, for London but mostly for Merkley. Feel better troll?
thengs is gitten a bit daffy round here .. eh true?..

Northernstormfan

Apr 26, 2015
Northern Ontario
he can be amazing... on both ends of the spectrum.... my heart goes out to him at times..but whatever.....
I'll give you that offensively he has a great mind but he's so focused on scoring that goal and making the highlight reel that he forgets that he's a defender and doesn't play his position and it's left up to his teammates to cover for him over and over again leaving their own positions unguarded. Not fair to them or the goalie.

Reactions: storm surge
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad