Guelph Storm 2019-20 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
I have my point of view ;;...and the integrity thereof..if you don't like it .... too bad.!..hava nice day!... fellers..

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
I have my point of view ;;...and the integrity thereof..if you don't like it .... too bad.!..hava nice day!... fellers..

The issue is that you have been saying the same thing over and over for months. Creating arguments where none exist and essentially having a conversation with yourself.

Reactions: battfan888

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Unfortunate for Daws that he didn't play last night due to upper body injury. Hope he has a smooth recovery, a busy stretch coming up for the Storm.

Reactions: storm surge

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
at game tonight.. thats a solid ...well coached Kitchener team..but I see signs of life returning to our Storm....

Reactions: LR8

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
200.webp

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
This weekends games I think are exactly how most expected this season to go back in August. Signs of life, yes, but outmatched by teams further along in their cycle/development. Three cheers for higher 2020 draft selections!!

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
they were riding a fine wave early to mid season.... I believe its still there..but a malaise is apparen't to me..they'll be back..with Daws in tune.. they have fine goaltentending....I think they are far better than expected..but need to get in that groove again..Has is a bonus...

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
I don't see it. Was a great first half of the season, but as a great coach once said, "they are who we thought they were".

Many teams loaded up and improved, Guelph got worse (which is fine) but it just means the last 26 games are going to be tougher than the ones that preceded them.

I just wish they had sold more. I don't see a real reason for keeping some of these players around they did, but then again, I'd make a horrible GM.

I see them finishing right around .500 by the end of the season....around 10 or so wins in the last 26 games. A better season than many had envisioned, but not when you consider they were in first place at or around Christmas.

Like Watcher said, yay for a higher pick!

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I don't see it. Was a great first half of the season, but as a great coach once said, "they are who we thought they were".

Many teams loaded up and improved, Guelph got worse (which is fine) but it just means the last 26 games are going to be tougher than the ones that preceded them.

I just wish they had sold more. I don't see a real reason for keeping some of these players around they did, but then again, I'd make a horrible GM.

I see them finishing right around .500 by the end of the season....around 10 or so wins in the last 26 games. A better season than many had envisioned, but not when you consider they were in first place at or around Christmas.

Like Watcher said, yay for a higher pick!

Your first half was a surprise to all considering the hit you took via graduation. You overachieved in large part due to the emergence of Daws and Gogolev.

Kudos to George for replenishing draft picks but I’d have sold harder at the deadline. I’d have shopped Daws and taken the best I could get for him. His value would never be higher than it was leading up to the deadline and with multiple teams looking for goaltending, surely they get a good return for him.

I understand George is rolling the dice that all three of Daws, Gogolev and Hillis will play OA seasons, but selling one or more of them off could have given you the best stocked draft cupboard in the conference.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
a great coach.. that'd be nice too.
Your first half was a surprise to all considering the hit you took via graduation. You overachieved in large part due to the emergence of Daws and Gogolev.

Kudos to George for replenishing draft picks but I’d have sold harder at the deadline. I’d have shopped Daws and taken the best I could get for him. His value would never be higher than it was leading up to the deadline and with multiple teams looking for goaltending, surely they get a good return for him.

I understand George is rolling the dice that all three of Daws, Gogolev and Hillis will play OA seasons, but selling one or more of them off could have given you the best stocked draft cupboard in the conference.
long held that cup teams are built from goal out..our tending future is great.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Daws and Gogolev will be back next year, you can quote me on it. Hillis is likely gone unless it's another Phillips.
If NTC's were in effect, as I suspect, the hope is getting a return for Gogolev and Daws next season. I agree Bennett will likely be a good future starter, but we would then have 0 backup had Daws left at the deadline. Leaving Bennett under fire after a hard sell.

So what you would be looking at in that instance is that George didn't trade away Hillis. Oh well, he's the captain on a very young team. Lalonde, Hawel, and Popovich trades still put us in O.K. asset shape, now it's up to good drafting and hopefully recouping a few more picks next year.

Reactions: storm surge

hocknow

Feb 13, 2016
Daws and Gogolev will be back next year, you can quote me on it. Hillis is likely gone unless it's another Phillips.
If NTC's were in effect, as I suspect, the hope is getting a return for Gogolev and Daws next season. I agree Bennett will likely be a good future starter, but we would then have 0 backup had Daws left at the deadline. Leaving Bennett under fire after a hard sell.

So what you would be looking at in that instance is that George didn't trade away Hillis. Oh well, he's the captain on a very young team. Lalonde, Hawel, and Popovich trades still put us in O.K. asset shape, now it's up to good drafting and hopefully recouping a few more picks next year.
Get Chayka off the pp. brutal

Smu fan

Jan 4, 2020
Ownership group made a huge mistake not unloading players at the deadline. Back to reality.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Ownership group made a huge mistake not unloading players at the deadline. Back to reality.

Again, the players they could unload will be back next year, at least this way they make the playoffs. They already unloaded 3 big names this year they just did it pre-deadline to make room for youngsters.

Reactions: dirty12

hocknow

Feb 13, 2016
Again, the players they could unload will be back next year, at least this way they make the playoffs. They already unloaded 3 big names this year they just did it pre-deadline to make room for youngsters.
Once Daws is back to himself we can cause a few upsets in the playoffs

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
I think George has played his hand rather nicely. Team is set up for next season, no pressure this year. Players will benefit from playoff experience. In a sense, he can't lose this year. That's an enviable position to be in for most clubs.

Northernstormfan

Apr 26, 2015
Northern Ontario
Get Chayka off the pp. brutal
In my opinion they need to sit Chayka for a couple of games. Not sure what is going on with him but his play or lack thereof is a detriment to the team. Way too many turnovers, lack of fight in the corners and just not enough of the wanting to play. I'm also seeing this happening with Wainman. It's very concerning. Obliviously there needs to be a different work ethic for the defensemen. They can't allow Daws or Bennett to be used as target practice all game long.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
In my opinion they need to sit Chayka for a couple of games. Not sure what is going on with him but his play or lack thereof is a detriment to the team. Way too many turnovers, lack of fight in the corners and just not enough of the wanting to play. I'm also seeing this happening with Wainman. It's very concerning. Obliviously there needs to be a different work ethic for the defensemen. They can't allow Daws or Bennett to be used as target practice all game long.
Agreed.. but liking the new D .. # 3.. more every day... the team seems to be flat.. the recipe is just not cookin up right...is it dressing room?.. coaching?.. it was all tikity boo before.. is it the tikity or the boo that needs a tuneup..they're gonna be OK ..?..

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Looking ahead to next year?

Lineup ideas?

Gogolev/Zhilkin/Uba
Papais/Sikic/McFarlane
Stevenson/Maillet/Bakanov
Draft/Walker/Bowman

Chayka/Has
Bianconi/Profaca
Terry/Hiebert
Draft