Guelph Storm 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
First game for me since all the acquisitions arrived. I was pleasantly surprised with how much the game was ratcheted up and was totally impressed with Durzi and Suzuki. Considering this team hasn't really had much practice together, I can't wait for another couple of weeks to see how many of the plays that were reacted to yesterday become actual expected set plays. And, if we get the injured ones back, there will be that much additional talent on the roster. This is going to be fun.

BrunoDaBear

Jan 27, 2017
Once again, the midwest is stepping it up a notch....even with a little cannibalism.

I honestly thought Ottawa would grab the opportunity. I don't think I was alone on that thought.

Then again.....I had thoughts last year about what the Attack should be doing ....and the year before....that I also wasn't alone on. GM's are just people. People make huge mistakes. Coaches, fans, and players pay the price.

Ottawa GM misses opportunity provided by Owen Sound GM missed opportunities. What goes around.......never touches London.
Attack took the Soo to 7 games, almost put them out. We understand you hate Dale Degray. He had a good team last year and they just couldn't beat a strong Soo team.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Exciting game last night. Obviously the 2nd period was awful. What I enjoyed the most though was the interviews with Durzi and Hawel in the intermissions.

Hawel's post-game comments reflected disappointment in how they played in the second period, despite winning. He said that they can't let that happen in the playoffs so they have to figure it out.

Durzi's comments in the 1st intermission: "We know we have the talent, we have to work hard... you know the saying 'Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.'"

THAT is the attitude that will make them a success this season. I can't wait for the playoffs.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Fans on the PETERBOROUGH forum indicated that Ryan Merkley received a misconduct for talking too much to the officials in the game against Ottawa. Then he was benched later in the game.

Old Watcher

Dec 30, 2018
Attack took the Soo to 7 games, almost put them out. We understand you hate Dale Degray. He had a good team last year and they just couldn't beat a strong Soo team.
Goaltender.

He had a Memorial Cup winner at the start of the season without a proper goaltender. He would not/could not do what was required.

I don't hate DD.

I just don't trust him with the job he has or his allegiances.

Again,

tell me as a parent why I should send my kid where you would never go....even if they payed you to go there.

Last edited:
Ironic considering he isn't even 6ft.

He has so much potential.

If he had the work ethic of Marner, he could have been something special, but it's clear that he doesn't care.
Entitled. Bottom line

Bob McKenzie Nailed it

"There’s been some question about his attitude both on and off the ice. Now when I say “off the ice”, we need to make something clear: When people start talking about off-ice issues, we immediately start thinking of lifestyle concerns. That’s not what we’re talking about here. The concerns that NHL scouts have with Ryan Merkley is not what he does away from the rink, it’s what he does in the rink: On the ice and off the ice – as in, on the bench, in the dressing room, those types of things… (What we’re talking about here is) we have an extremely immature hockey player with a massive amount of offensive ability. He’s been described as petulant, and at times I think he’s made his own life in hockey difficult…he’s had poor self-awareness, and a real lack of accountability."

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
Textbook example of a player who believes he's bigger than the game
Agreed. But if GB can move Chayka up to forward (dumb)..then why couldn't they have moved Merkley up .. he would have at least have had 2 D behind him to cover for his inevitable "idiosyncrasies".. and would have HAD to be disciplined in the ways of a 2 way game..I blame mgmt mostly on that score......now GB moves Chayka up..... wusup George?..wrong move ...wrong player.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
Entitled. Bottom line

Bob McKenzie Nailed it

"There’s been some question about his attitude both on and off the ice. Now when I say “off the ice”, we need to make something clear: When people start talking about off-ice issues, we immediately start thinking of lifestyle concerns. That’s not what we’re talking about here. The concerns that NHL scouts have with Ryan Merkley is not what he does away from the rink, it’s what he does in the rink: On the ice and off the ice – as in, on the bench, in the dressing room, those types of things… (What we’re talking about here is) we have an extremely immature hockey player with a massive amount of offensive ability. He’s been described as petulant, and at times I think he’s made his own life in hockey difficult…he’s had poor self-awareness, and a real lack of accountability."
might have been half Marners value.. as a more mature...frwd.

NamesAreHardToChoose

Sep 22, 2018
Agreed. But if GB can move Chayka up to forward (dumb)..then why couldn't they have moved Merkley up .. he would have at least have had 2 D behind him to cover for his inevitable "idiosyncrasies".. and would have HAD to be disciplined in the ways of a 2 way game..I blame mgmt mostly on that score......now GB moves Chayka up..... wusup George?..wrong move ...wrong player.

Chayka was playing forward because we were short on the bench.

Reactions: StormWatcher

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
Chayka was playing forward because we were short on the bench.
hope your're right ... but after 3 yrs of Smerkly out of position ..and classic bonehead mismgmt.... ..there are others could be called up... I smell classic GB Storm ..somethins afoot..of all the D to move up...why Chayka.?..

TrueBlueStorm

Apr 25, 2014
If you are going to move a 7th D up to 4th line, why not Terry instead? We lose 5 Dmen next year- why cut back the ice time of a player who will be a top 2 D next year?
And what will GB do when (if?) Haney returns? Sit Chayka?

Reactions: storm surge

BrunoDaBear

Jan 27, 2017
Goaltender.

He had a Memorial Cup winner at the start of the season without a proper goaltender. He would not/could not do what was required.

I don't hate DD.

I just don't trust him with the job he has or his allegiances.

Again,

tell me as a parent why I should send my kid where you would never go....even if they payed you to go there.
Memorial cup winner? Really??? Smh

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Anyone have any updates on injury status? I can't wait to see the depth...

Ratcliffe/Suzuki/Entwistle
Gogolev/Hawel/Schnarr
Ralph/Hillis/Toropchenko
Roberts/Commisso/Stevenson
Collins

Samorukov/Durzi
Hanley/Phillips
Gordeev/Chayka/Lalonde

Last edited:

TrueBlueStorm

Apr 25, 2014
Collins ahead of Roberts? I think GB goes with the veteran but I like how Collins has progressed lately.
Real logjam on defence- all should play. Will Hanley be back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad