Guelph Storm 2016-17 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Didn't see the hit. Thought there wasn't even a penalty on the play. Sometimes bad stuff just happens. But like I said, I didn't see it.

Also, I don't really care. At this point the more losses the better, I guess. Maybe it should have been 20, lol.

GUE 3 SAR 2 (Schnarr)

Saw it live. Just that time, no replay. No call on the play. Phibbs was breaking down the left wing, step or two ahead of McFadden who was catching him at an angle from center ice. Just as McFadden was about to catch him, Phibbs pulled up and went to cut back towards center ice. McFadden nailed him. It happened fast obviously. I don't think there was vicious intent and I don't there was head contact on the hit. I don't like the blindside hit rule much but it was pretty much textbook blindside hit and I don't know how the refs didn't call that. There was another later in the game that wasn't called either. Phibbs also did little to protect himself and left himself vulnerable on the play. I don't think 8 games is justifiable. It looked bad and Phibbs was stretchered off, but I DO NOT like basing suspensions on the injury as opposed to the action itself. Game or 2 or 3? Sure. 8 seems excessive based on the play itself. I'd like to see it again to be sure though. As far as the complaints on Merkley, you guys should come watch him in Flint. He looks to be the Storm's offensive catalyst on our ice. Only seen him twice though. Great skater and puck mover, maybe not quite a defensive standout but he's a 16yo D. He may come around to being a solid all around D. He's had 2 really solid games here.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Saw it live. Just that time, no replay. No call on the play. Phibbs was breaking down the left wing, step or two ahead of McFadden who was catching him at an angle from center ice. Just as McFadden was about to catch him, Phibbs pulled up and went to cut back towards center ice. McFadden nailed him. It happened fast obviously. I don't think there was vicious intent and I don't there was head contact on the hit. I don't like the blindside hit rule much but it was pretty much textbook blindside hit and I don't know how the refs didn't call that. There was another later in the game that wasn't called either. Phibbs also did little to protect himself and left himself vulnerable on the play. I don't think 8 games is justifiable. It looked bad and Phibbs was stretchered off, but I DO NOT like basing suspensions on the injury as opposed to the action itself. Game or 2 or 3? Sure. 8 seems excessive based on the play itself. I'd like to see it again to be sure though. As far as the complaints on Merkley, you guys should come watch him in Flint. He looks to be the Storm's offensive catalyst on our ice. Only seen him twice though. Great skater and puck mover, maybe not quite a defensive standout but he's a 16yo D. He may come around to being a solid all around D. He's had 2 really solid games here.

Thanks for that. Seems pretty rational....what are you doing on these boards :D

Anyway, that description matches the one I got second hand from another fan who saw it live.

As for Merkley, I'm not nearly as critical as others. He's a tremendous offensive player....just needs to understand that if he can use that speed and awareness on the defensive side of things, it will be the catalyst to turn things back offensively. He's still so raw and he's got a long way to go, but I think he has the potential to be a star in this league.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Lifelong Red Wings fan here, and I gotta say...you all have me worried that the Wings may have blown a 2nd round pick with the way your assessments of Smith are going. I remember being at a Whalers game two years ago and taking note of that guy because of the way that others on the ice seemed to always need to be aware of him and where he was (mostly because it seemed they didn't want to be anywhere nearby). Saw the same thing from him at Flint's games against Guelph last year, and was excited to see that the Wings had picked him. Now it seems that the guy is a loose cannon, and most of the talk on here seems to support that. Seems like he's let the aggression that was an asset to his game become a huge problem. Do you think he's gonna be able to reel that in, or is he spiraling downward???

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
Thanks for that. Seems pretty rational....what are you doing on these boards :D

Anyway, that description matches the one I got second hand from another fan who saw it live.

As for Merkley, I'm not nearly as critical as others. He's a tremendous offensive player....just needs to understand that if he can use that speed and awareness on the defensive side of things, it will be the catalyst to turn things back offensively. He's still so raw and he's got a long way to go, but I think he has the potential to be a star in this league.

Last night was the first time I was able to watch Merkley play. He reminds me allot of DeAngelo. He is very talented offensively. As for defence, that is another story. I noticed he was out of position allot. He seemed to always be looking to break up ice instead of playing defence. The other thing I noticed with him last night, is he goes down very easy when an opposing player has a stick on him.

He's young and he has allot to learn, but wow is he going to be an exciting player to watch for the next couple of years.

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
Lifelong Red Wings fan here, and I gotta say...you all have me worried that the Wings may have blown a 2nd round pick with the way your assessments of Smith are going. I remember being at a Whalers game two years ago and taking note of that guy because of the way that others on the ice seemed to always need to be aware of him and where he was (mostly because it seemed they didn't want to be anywhere nearby). Saw the same thing from him at Flint's games against Guelph last year, and was excited to see that the Wings had picked him. Now it seems that the guy is a loose cannon, and most of the talk on here seems to support that. Seems like he's let the aggression that was an asset to his game become a huge problem. Do you think he's gonna be able to reel that in, or is he spiraling downward???

When the Storm first acquired Smith from Barrie 2 years ago I think I speak for most when I say he was great, after not doing much of anything for the Colts he instantly started finding the back of the net and most of last year became an offensive leader on the team that played with an edge but just enough of one where it didn't hurt your team, just a classic power forward.
Getting close to the end of last season he started taking dumb penalties much more frequently and this season it has just shot up.
First half of this season he took dumb penalties nearly every night but was still scoring goals so you took the good with the bad. Since new years he has nearly all but stopped scoring, yes he had a goal last night but since New Years thats just his 2nd goal that wasn't into an empty net. Yet he continues with the dumb penalties almost nightly.
He just seems to have a temper about him now. Last week after a whistle he got the smallest of shoves from an opposing player, I've seen way bigger shoves go ignored countless times every game. Smith's reaction was to turn around and break his stick over said players arm while the Storm had a 2 goal lead in the third. Luckily Guelph was playing North Bay who seems to be having an even rougher stretch than the Storm are so Guelph held on for the win but do that against most teams and that sparks a comeback.

To me the last couple months he has been more of a determent to the team than the leader everybody figured he should be developing into this season.

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
Barrie tomorrow night.
Should Guelph win I think that eliminates any realistic chance of this team finishing last and getting #1 pick. A Storm win in regulation tomorrow gives them an 8 point gap over Barrie. While I am sure Barrie is capable on winning a couple games down the stretch we are talking about a team thats lost 11 of their last 12 and only has 14 wins all season, I doubt they can make up 8pts in a month assuming Guelph gets a win here or there.

Now should Barrie win tomorrow night in regulation that closes the gap down to 4pts between the two. Barrie still very well could finish last but a loss by Guelph tomorrow certainly keeps them in the #1 overall pick game.

North Bay is just 1 point ahead of Guelph, Ottawa is 3pts ahead, Niagara 5pts ahead and Saginaw is 7pts ahead.
It should be noted that the 4 non playoff teams pick in the first 4 spots regardless of point totals. So right now Saginaw who is out of the playoffs in the west has more points than the last 2 playoff teams in the east. Regardless if the draft was today Saginaw would still pick 4th overall despite the fact they should be picking 6th if we went purely by points.

So seeing as in my mind its unlikely Guelph catches Saginaw in the standings the Storm should be picking 2nd or 3rd in this years draft, unless of course they can really outsuck Barrie for the final month of the season.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Barrie tomorrow night.
Should Guelph win I think that eliminates any realistic chance of this team finishing last and getting #1 pick. A Storm win in regulation tomorrow gives them an 8 point gap over Barrie. While I am sure Barrie is capable on winning a couple games down the stretch we are talking about a team thats lost 11 of their last 12 and only has 14 wins all season, I doubt they can make up 8pts in a month assuming Guelph gets a win here or there.

Now should Barrie win tomorrow night in regulation that closes the gap down to 4pts between the two. Barrie still very well could finish last but a loss by Guelph tomorrow certainly keeps them in the #1 overall pick game.

North Bay is just 1 point ahead of Guelph, Ottawa is 3pts ahead, Niagara 5pts ahead and Saginaw is 7pts ahead.
It should be noted that the 4 non playoff teams pick in the first 4 spots regardless of point totals. So right now Saginaw who is out of the playoffs in the west has more points than the last 2 playoff teams in the east. Regardless if the draft was today Saginaw would still pick 4th overall despite the fact they should be picking 6th if we went purely by points.

So seeing as in my mind its unlikely Guelph catches Saginaw in the standings the Storm should be picking 2nd or 3rd in this years draft, unless of course they can really outsuck Barrie for the final month of the season.

At the moment the Storm would pick 2nd overall behind the Barrie Colts unless the Colts pick up 7 points in their last remaining 15 games likelihood Storm fans can expect 2 overall pick in the draft

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
Barrie tomorrow night.

I guess the real question is, is Tag Bertuzzi worthy of a 2nd/3rd overall pick? :sarcasm:

Chico Maki

Oct 27, 2014
I guess the real question is, is Tag Bertuzzi worthy of a 2nd/3rd overall pick? :sarcasm:

Bertuzzi, or perhaps Ryan Susuki, younger brother of Owen Sounds Nick, from the London Jr Knights. I think the question should be do you want the current GM and scouts in charge of the draft this year, after the last five years of failure (ie Locke, Craevich, Brown, Sicoly, Stevens, Hillis, Burles)? With the 2nd round pick of Barrie and the 3, third round picks, the Storm need at least 3 of the 4 picks to join a Bertuzzi or Suzuki on next years roster. Like one of my favourite posters said a Monkey could have picked Merkley, and perhaps even Ratcliffe. If they want to continue to pay the scouts with a jacket, a hat and a plastic license plate cover, don't expect too much!!

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Wondering aloud....I wonder if part of Smith's issues are twofold:

1) Frustration with this hot mess we have had here for the past two years

2) The crackdown on fighting has other teams goading him and cheap-shotting him after the whistle knowing he likely can't/won't do anything about it.

I know the argument is that he should be able to play through that, and in general I agree, but he's also human and if I am as frustrated as I am as a fan, I can imagine the players aren't exactly giddy to get to the rink everyday. Still, you hope that as a drafted player, he'd show a little more leadership/discipline.

As for drafting, I don't see this team finishing last. However if they keep playing like they have been, I guess anything is possible. I still think it will be 2nd/3rd.

This draft will be another important one....I'm not convinced GMMK has the ability to lead this team through another one....not based on the last couple of years.

Happy Almost Family Day Everyone!

GUE 4 BAR 2 (Ratcliffe)

WSR 5 GUE 2 (Vilardi)

FLT 4 GUE 2 (Sherwood)

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
Bertuzzi, or perhaps Ryan Susuki, younger brother of Owen Sounds Nick, from the London Jr Knights. I think the question should be do you want the current GM and scouts in charge of the draft this year, after the last five years of failure (ie Locke, Craevich, Brown, Sicoly, Stevens, Hillis, Burles)? With the 2nd round pick of Barrie and the 3, third round picks, the Storm need at least 3 of the 4 picks to join a Bertuzzi or Suzuki on next years roster. Like one of my favourite posters said a Monkey could have picked Merkley, and perhaps even Ratcliffe. If they want to continue to pay the scouts with a jacket, a hat and a plastic license plate cover, don't expect too much!!

You know this team probably leans the way of Bertuzzi regardless of who's running the show. He would instantly be a fan favourite and that = revenue.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
You know this team probably leans the way of Bertuzzi regardless of who's running the show. He would instantly be a fan favourite and that = revenue.

I'm not suggesting you are saying otherwise, but give me the better player.

Enough with the sizzle. I want the steak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce