NDP (lock)
Ratcliffe (lock)
L. Stevens (lock)
Ralph (lock)
Schnarr (lock)
Burghardt (unsure, but I think a lock)
Bricknell (bait?)
Hotchkiss (bait?)
#2 OA Import (I'd be shocked if a F isn't picked here)
?
?

In the mix for the last two will be: Phillips, maybe Stevens as an OA, perhaps the second import pick, Gallant (?), Brown (?), Jared Nash (?), and perhaps another player from this coming draft.

I don't see a spot for West or Buckely based on limited viewings this year. But, hey, what do I know?!?!?

D - 8

McFadden
Garcia
Carroll
Hanna
Rhodes
#1 OA (likely)
?
?

In the mix for these two spots are: Hall and Tetrault (I like Levi more, but that might be because Hall has seemingly been unable to stay healthy), Mannara (?), Jake Payette (?), and perhaps another player from this coming draft.

G - 2

?
?

Your guess is as good as mine here.

So, it appears there might be some room on the roster, albeit only a little bit (and under the assumption that some of the players from this year are not brought back).

Will be easier to get an idea after the two drafts of course, but what's the fun in waiting? lol

Perhaps a package deal of some sort - Hotchkiss & Garcia for a F? I dunno.

So, what does everyone else think?

Watcher: How about for the tie breaker some kind of playoff prediction or draft prediction to keep things interesting?

Fudgeo

Feb 2, 2015
OK, here goes.

In the mix for the last two will be: Phillips, maybe Stevens as an OA, perhaps the second import pick, Gallant (?), Brown (?), Jared Nash (?), and perhaps another player from this coming draft.

What does Stevens bring to the team that would make him worthy of an overage slot? His hands of stone? His constant slashing penalties? He doesn't bring anything to this team that we couldn't get from a younger better player.
Phillips brings toughness so he's worth holding on to. Players most likely to get traded (imo) are:
Hotchkiss
Bricknell
Burghardt
Sicoly
Tetrault
one of Hall or Rhodes
It's not that I want all of them gone, I just feel that they're are most likely to go if anyone does go. McEwan could also be trade bait at the deadline, there's definitely something he could bring to a contender next year.
I also doubt Buckley, Mieritz or West will make the roster next year.
It should be an exciting camp and preseason this year (I've probably said this every year..) and I'd hate the be the guy who has to make the final cuts.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
What does Stevens bring to the team that would make him worthy of an overage slot? His hands of stone? His constant slashing penalties? He doesn't bring anything to this team that we couldn't get from a younger better player.
Phillips brings toughness so he's worth holding on to.

Did Marc steal your lunch money or something? lol

Seriously though, I know what you are saying....team needs veterans though, and Marc fits that bill. I would prefer an upgrade obviously, but I think him and CJ are the only OA candidates, so I don't see them being outright released or anything. Maybe Stevens goes the way of many other OHL players who are victims of the numbers game - the Caledonia Corvairs? I dunno....I did say maybe, after all.

I like Phillips too, but I don't know if he's better suited as a F or a D....I know I like him better on the wing, and in terms of roster composition he fits better there, but I don't know what he or the team thinks. I don't have an issue keeping him, but with some combo of Smith, Rhodes and even Bricknell, I don't think this team needs a whole lot more toughness. There's no room for the designated policeman anymore, so if Phillips sticks, he'll have to contribute in other ways as well.

I'm very interested to see how it all shakes out...if nothing else, it might make camp pretty competitive in August/September.

Fudgeo

Feb 2, 2015

Seriously though, I know what you are saying....team needs veterans though, and Marc fits that bill. I would prefer an upgrade obviously, but I think him and CJ are the only OA candidates, so I don't see them being outright released or anything. Maybe Stevens goes the way of many other OHL players who are victims of the numbers game - the Caledonia Corvairs? I dunno....I did say maybe, after all.

I like Phillips too, but I don't know if he's better suited as a F or a D....I know I like him better on the wing, and in terms of roster composition he fits better there, but I don't know what he or the team thinks. I don't have an issue keeping him, but with some combo of Smith, Rhodes and even Bricknell, I don't think this team needs a whole lot more toughness. There's no room for the designated policeman anymore, so if Phillips sticks, he'll have to contribute in other ways as well.

I'm very interested to see how it all shakes out...if nothing else, it might make camp pretty competitive in August/September.

Sorry if I came off sounding bitter or angry and I have no problems with him personally, I just don't think he's a good enough hockey player to take up a roster spot on a young team that's about to get injected with some high end talent.

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT

I could see Marc headed to UoG to play with his brother for a couple years.

Phillips I think is 100% a forward at this point. He's a decent skater when going north/south but really lacks quickness laterally. It's an issue that is much easier to hide as a winger. I also see a kid that really needs to work on his hands and decision making if he wants any chance to stick in the OHL.

stormfanone

Nov 30, 2013
Toronto Born in Gue.

The GOJHL is going to make changes regarding 20 years old players .So he might not be able to play there There was a article about it on Our Sports Nation I think.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Watcher: How about for the tie breaker some kind of playoff prediction or draft prediction to keep things interesting?

Sure, how about first round Western Conference playoff predictions... series winners and number of games - The # of games it takes is the tie-breaker (i.e. closest to correct win/loss if we have the same teams.) We'll have to post before tomorrow night's games if we're a go. :handclap:

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Sure, how about first round Western Conference playoff predictions... series winners and number of games - The # of games it takes is the tie-breaker (i.e. closest to correct win/loss if we have the same teams.) We'll have to post before tomorrow night's games if we're a go. :handclap:

Sounds good to me. I'll take a look at the series and I'll make sure to post before 7. Good luck!

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Western Series:

SAG vs ERIE ---> ERIE (4)

SOO vs SAR ---> SAR (5)

OS vs LON ---> LON (4)

WSR vs KIT ---> WSR (6)

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
So - a pretty reliable poster in the OHL Draft thread has word that both Jenkins and Wilde have committed to the USNTDP.

Kinda sucky, but can't say I am surprised....I'd be shocked if one or both don't end up in London at some point, but I digress.

So, what are the Storm to do? Take one of them anyway? Take Merkley? Take another player, likely a F/C?

What does everyone think.

Personally, I'd love a F/C, but I think you have to just go BPA and that seems to be Merkely if you take out the Americans.

Part of me wants to take an American anyway, but that might backfire.

mcreferee

Jun 6, 2011
So - a pretty reliable poster in the OHL Draft thread has word that both Jenkins and Wilde have committed to the USNTDP.

Kinda sucky, but can't say I am surprised....I'd be shocked if one or both don't end up in London at some point, but I digress.

So, what are the Storm to do? Take one of them anyway? Take Merkley? Take another player, likely a F/C?

What does everyone think.

Personally, I'd love a F/C, but I think you have to just go BPA and that seems to be Merkely if you take out the Americans.

Part of me wants to take an American anyway, but that might backfire.

Saw Saxon tweeted this as well. Very good question.

My thoughts...with the first overall pick I don't gamble. If Wilde or Jenkins are sketchy on commitment then I take BPA, which is Merkley. This would present to me an interesting situation where having Merkley then makes McFadden a piece to move as they are both OFD and McFadden might fetch the forward the team can use.

The gamble on taking a player that you'd have to declare defective is that you won't get the first overall pick again. I suppose you could fetch a ransom in other picks, but the Storm have 5-6 picks in the first three rounds of the next four or five drafts. Then you turn into Peterborough 2.0. The team needs to make this pick count and continue the build for two seasons from now.

I take Wilde or Jenkins if I'm drafting 4th or after though...at that point the impact players available start to diminish and having the windfall of extra picks and the extra first rounder next year makes sense. Just my nickels worth.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Saw Saxon tweeted this as well. Very good question.

My thoughts...with the first overall pick I don't gamble. If Wilde or Jenkins are sketchy on commitment then I take BPA, which is Merkley. This would present to me an interesting situation where having Merkley then makes McFadden a piece to move as they are both OFD and McFadden might fetch the forward the team can use.

The gamble on taking a player that you'd have to declare defective is that you won't get the first overall pick again. I suppose you could fetch a ransom in other picks, but the Storm have 5-6 picks in the first three rounds of the next four or five drafts. Then you turn into Peterborough 2.0. The team needs to make this pick count and continue the build for two seasons from now.

I take Wilde or Jenkins if I'm drafting 4th or after though...at that point the impact players available start to diminish and having the windfall of extra picks and the extra first rounder next year makes sense. Just my nickels worth.

All valid points, especially the one about potentially turning McFadden into a F through trade.

I'm not going to lie though. I'm skeptical about taking a small offensive d-man first overall. Take it with a grain of salt though, since I have not seen him play....but we already drafted "the next Ryan Murphy" and while he's been a contributor, I think that comparison is and was a little bit of a reach, to put it mildly.

A predicament to be sure.

OHLFanFriendly

Jul 30, 2014
I agree- 100% would not take a small offensive defenseman with the #1 pick.

However, if i KNEW he wasnt going to commit, i would gamble on the Defective option and hope to turn the defective (non-reporting) small defense man into a bundle of high rounds picks. This does makes sense to me as there is not a consensus "STUD" forward available to draft this year at #1 overall.

OHLFanFriendly

Jul 30, 2014
Also, on another note..am i the only one that CANT STAND the new look OHL website?

Yes- it does provide more detailed info and neat gimmicks, but it is BUTT UGLY. Especially on a mobile device. Looks like they have taken a step back in time with some ugly and plain graphics etc.

Sorry to rant, but my word!!!

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
I agree- 100% would not take a small offensive defenseman with the #1 pick.

However, if i KNEW he wasnt going to commit, i would gamble on the Defective option and hope to turn the defective (non-reporting) small defense man into a bundle of high rounds picks. This does makes sense to me as there is not a consensus "STUD" forward available to draft this year at #1 overall.

People keep bringing up this option of trading a defective player for a boat load of assets? That isn't going to work with Wilde or Jenkins. It really only works for a player that wants to play in the OHL, just not with the team that drafts him (Ie. McLeod, Brown).

No team is going to give up a bundle for a guy who is signing with the USNDP for the next two years.

noobie1

Oct 30, 2014
People keep bringing up this option of trading a defective player for a boat load of assets? That isn't going to work with Wilde or Jenkins. It really only works for a player that wants to play in the OHL, just not with the team that drafts him (Ie. McLeod, Brown).

No team is going to give up a bundle for a guy who is signing with the USNDP for the next two years.

I heard from a pretty reliable person, not with Guelph for that matter, that wilde needed a commit before last week or he was signing with usntp, so that leads me to believe Guelph was going in another direction with the pick. And if he was not going first, he was not going OHL right away... so my guess is it is going to be Merkley... just my guess based on what I had heard...

stormfanone

Nov 30, 2013
Toronto Born in Gue.
I heard from a pretty reliable person, not with Guelph for that matter, that wilde needed a commit before last week or he was signing with usntp, so that leads me to believe Guelph was going in another direction with the pick. And if he was not going first, he was not going OHL right away... so my guess is it is going to be Merkley... just my guess based on what I had heard...

That is strange , because Larry said several times on his pregame show that he was told those players would report if drafted.

noobie1

Oct 30, 2014
That is strange , because Larry said several times on his pregame show that he was told those players would report if drafted.

They won't be now with them singing with USNTDP... it will have to wait until next year or year after...

noobie1

Oct 30, 2014
Additionally to that... guelph will be picking someone who will be here this year, not someone who is a year or 2 away... someone will take a chance with a second or third round pick with them though..

the dog

May 16, 2014
Kirill Nizhnikov is also top player....

noobie1

Oct 30, 2014
Kirill Nizhnikov is also top player....

Absolutely he is, I just feel they will go for the Stud D-Man as they are tough to come across... and i think we will have more depth and strength up front over the next 2-3 years then D... Only my opinion though... who knows what they might be thinking... and realistically me seeing them play 2 times each means absolutely nothing compared to teams seeing these guys dozens of times...

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
I just hope the team ends up taking who they think is BPA, and not taking someone based on needs. Needs can change quickly over the course of 2-3 years.

I personally think drafting Merkley plus a high end forward in the import draft will work out just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad