Guelph Storm 2016-17 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Bertuzzi, or perhaps Ryan Susuki, younger brother of Owen Sounds Nick, from the London Jr Knights. I think the question should be do you want the current GM and scouts in charge of the draft this year, after the last five years of failure (ie Locke, Craevich, Brown, Sicoly, Stevens, Hillis, Burles)? With the 2nd round pick of Barrie and the 3, third round picks, the Storm need at least 3 of the 4 picks to join a Bertuzzi or Suzuki on next years roster. Like one of my favourite posters said a Monkey could have picked Merkley, and perhaps even Ratcliffe. If they want to continue to pay the scouts with a jacket, a hat and a plastic license plate cover, don't expect too much!!

And the 2014 team was built almost entirely from the draft... but please, continue to beat a dead horse, we all enjoy being dragged into your personal beef so much. :sarcasm:

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Flint @ Guelph is a 2:00 start tomorrow. Can anyone tell me...is this early start because it's a "Student's Day" where the rink will be full of school-aged kids on field trips or anything like that?

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Flint @ Guelph is a 2:00 start tomorrow. Can anyone tell me...is this early start because it's a "Student's Day" where the rink will be full of school-aged kids on field trips or anything like that?

It a provincial holiday called Family Day most people have a day off or take one

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
I always pick Guelph over Flint and Flint always wins... so if I pick Flint to win, Guelph will, right? (c;

Flint wins 4-3, Colella GWG

Fudgeo

Feb 2, 2015
Flint with incessant nonstop yapping, will a single Guelph player do ANYTHING about it? My prediction is no, well get another period of passionless edgeless shotless boring hockey.
Unbelievable

Fudgeo

Feb 2, 2015
The third period was better than the first 2 but still, poor showing today.
Merkley shouldn't have to take matters into his own hands when opposing teams are yapping at him the whole game.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Can't believe I pay to watch that garbage. What a horrific game yesterday...and in front of a full house to boot. Embarrassing.

I don't know how many more of those efforts I can take this year before I just stop going. I mean the tickets are a sunk cost at this point, and I just don't enjoy watching that mess.

I see people referring to their play earlier in the weekend as "good". Honestly, I watched the third period of the Windsor game - they looked awful (I guess they were decent in the first two periods) - and I was on hand for the Barrie game Friday. While it was a nice win to be sure, I wouldn't put too much stock in beating the last place team.

I dunno. Looking forward to the year being over I guess...I would imagine the players are too. As an aside, I see Merkely is getting blasted again among scouts and analysts.....I mean I get it, but he's only 16 playing the role of a 20 year old. It seems it's the popular thing to do these days.

And to think there are so many other players who have been nothing short of invisible for all but maybe a handful of games this year. Blah.

Sorry for this late standings update....it's a big one, so as usual if you think I have missed something, please let me know!

TOTAL (Through 56 GP)

RCS 43
noobie1 32
StorminNorman 44
ChicoMaki 49
Stormforthewin 37
StormWatcher 42
battfan888 14
stormfan87 23
StormSurge9 7

StormFan87

Dec 19, 2014
There is a rumour GM Mike Kelly is set to retire!! And thoughts on this and maybe bad timing just before the draft?

noobie1

Oct 30, 2014
There is a rumour GM Mike Kelly is set to retire!! And thoughts on this and maybe bad timing just before the draft?
I heard the same thing on the weekend in Hamilton.
I think it is probably best timing, as he is going to stay to May and help hire his replacement from what I heard. That way his replacement can be involved in the draft.
If it is true, I wish him nothing but the best. He has bled Guelph Storm for many years and dedicated a lot of his professional life to JR hockey.
I did hear it is not a retirement per se, as much as slowing down as I think he is 65 and would like to spend more time with family. Guessing a scouting position in his future or something where he is not involved in all aspects of an organization.

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
As per Saxon's twitter it's official: Mike Kelly will be stepping down as Guelph Storm GM at the end of the season. His contract was set to expire at end of May.

I imagine any new GM will want to hire his own coaching staff, so I expect many changes between May and opening game night in September.

Chico Maki

Oct 27, 2014
The slogan makes a lot more sense now, "The Time Is Now"!!

While some think I was to critical of GMMK, ie Hockey decisions and drafting, I will say he did a fine job with some of his other duties, ie working with staff, billets, teachers and media members. May I be one of the first to wish him a happy retirement!

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Here's hoping the Storm goes out and gets a proven winning CHL GM and HC (if needed) and not go for "on the job training" that the route some other Mid-West team has miserably done for the last 10 yrs!

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Here's hoping the Storm goes out and gets a proven winning CHL GM and HC (if needed) and not go for "on the job training" that the route some other Mid-West team has miserably done for the last 10 yrs!

And what team might that be, Mr. Cornell :sarcasm:

I'm worried about this. Spending $$ is not really this ownership group's MO, so if I were a betting man, I'd expect an "up and comer" rather than a proven league GM. Time will tell. I heard yesterday from a little birdie that they already know who they'll be hiring, but won't be making an announcement on it until after the year is over and GMMK's time is officially done.

What really scares me, and this is the pessimist in me talking, but what's the first thing an new GM does when arriving at a new organization - "need to take some time to evaluate where we are as an organization and to formulate a plan moving forward" etc. Not to mention (as someone else already did), likely overhauling the coaches and scouting. For this team to hit it's "window", changes need to be made ASAP and the new GM needs to hit the ground running. I hope I am wrong on this....I don't want another down year...I'm sure no one does. Though perhaps a new voice and perspective will help "drain the swamp" within the team and organization. Let's hope.

All the best in retirement GMMK! I too have been critical of you in the past two years - pretty much all warranted, I may add - but you deserve full marks for being instrumental in bringing an OHL Championship to the Royal City. Enjoy retirement sir!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad