Guelph Storm 2016-17 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
Another one of those games where you think where was that effort all night?
From the moment Guelph killed off the Smith major (oh I'll get there) they were totally dominating the Firebirds and probably could have won it in regulation if not for A: some great saves from Forrest and B: our guys just not being able to hit the net (looking at you McEwan)

Sure it's nice to see them fight back but another one of those perhaps if you play like that from the start there wouldn't be a problem.
Herbst wasn't too bad last night, the first goal made me go ehhhh a bit but at the same time it was a good shot by Moore.

Givani Smith what is it with this guy. Smith had a great chance in front and was stopped and I get he was probably frustrated and got a shove from a Firebirds player but then he goes nuts and just fills the guy getting himself 2, 5, 10, 10 and a game. Does that get him suspended for next weekend?

Just crap that is so not needed and I am not sure why he keeps doing stuff like that.

Good to hear that Rhodes only has a charlie horse, looked much worse.
Also great to see Hall back last night, he had a decent game, been a while since the team has dressed 6 D.

Move onto the next one I guess, not much else to say.
Barrie with a 6 point lead now in the Hughes sweepstakes.

Stormforthewin

Sep 23, 2016
Bit of a side note, but was thinking about season tickets for next year.

Anyone who has them currently not going to renew?

I'm finding the 30 odd games a lot to get to, wish they had a 17 game option.

Just looking at some Jays tickets and they have so many options when it comes to tickets, 5,10, 20 games etc.

Anyway, just curious.

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
Bit of a side note, but was thinking about season tickets for next year.

Anyone who has them currently not going to renew?

I'm finding the 30 odd games a lot to get to, wish they had a 17 game option.

Just looking at some Jays tickets and they have so many options when it comes to tickets, 5,10, 20 games etc.

Anyway, just curious.

I'll be renewing - it gets me through the winter.

I thought in the past they offered 15 game packs - I see on the website they are offering 7 game "hat-packs" at the moment. Maybe a call to the box office to see if there other options along the lines you are thinking?

The time is now.

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
Guelph 5 NB 2 Merkley

Let's have a big weekend Guelph!!!

North Bay will be right in your wheel house, not very good most nights, Guelph could pick up 2 points, as long as they don't have bus legs and stay in the game early. BTW .......Does Merkley still have that " Im the best", bad body language ?

StormFan87

Dec 19, 2014
Guelph 4 - NB 2 GWG Schnaar
Guelph 0 - SSM 4 GWG Senyshyn
Guelph 2 - Flint 3OT GWG Kirwan

StorminNorman

Dec 3, 2015
Guelph 4 NB 3 GWG Schnarr
Soo 6 Guelph 1 GWG Senyshyn
Flint 4 Guelph 3 GWG Moore

Last edited:

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
BTW .......Does Merkley still have that " Im the best", bad body language ?

Yes, he does. It's only getting worse the more games this team loses. I think he needs an attitude adjustment big time. Healthy scratch for a game or two should be in order.

EDIT: I should add, it's not even just body language anymore. He's out there flat our giving up on some plays and was kicked off the bench for chirping at coaches a couple weeks ago.

EDIT #2: I didn't add my predictions.

4-2 NB - Harland GWG
6-1 SSM - Senyshyn GWG
5-3 FLNT - Sherwood GWG

Last edited:

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
North Bay will be right in your wheel house, not very good most nights, Guelph could pick up 2 points, as long as they don't have bus legs and stay in the game early. BTW .......Does Merkley still have that " Im the best", bad body language ?

As expected !

noobie1

Oct 30, 2014
Guelph 3 ssm 2 michnac
Guelph 4 flint 3 Ratcliffe
Staying positive on this weekend. Go Storm!

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Hawel last night, probably

giphy.gif

Congrats, kid!

First of many!

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
As nice as it was to see the boys win last night I was a tad deflated to see them give up the shutout so late in the game seeing as the Storm have yet to post one this year, shorthanded to boot. Not a big deal just one of those ahhhh damn moments.

Nice to see Hawel finally get his first goal since the trade from the Hounds, I guess he just needed to get back up north. McEwan with a pair of goals, first time he's done that since October 8 in Hamilton, those two along with Michnac did all the scoring last night, hopefully they can keep rolling in he future, could be a turning point for Hawel.

Parade to the penalty box early in the third period made me groan a tad, especially that Smith penalty with the cross check across the arm of the Battalion player, he just cant let any shove go.

Expectations not exactly sky high for the Soo tonight but they did have a very strong showing up there on new years eve, all I can ask for is a good effort, if they put in a good effort but still lose I will have no problem with that.
Flint on Sunday but make no mistake the boys could sweep this weekend and I have lost all hope for the playoffs. Firebirds are 12pts ahead with 18 games to go, even under normal circumstances thats probably too big of a gap but looking at the schedule Guelph has to finish this season with there is just no way in hell its happening. I am a realist and the reality is for the first time in Storm history they are going 2 years straight without the playoffs.

Before the season started I said I would be happy with 25-30 wins. 30 wins is very highly unlikely, 25 they have an outside chance if they can actually beat the lower teams they still have to play like Barrie, Saginaw, Flint and Sarnia and then hope to steal one or two more against the top teams, they have beaten Erie, Owen Sound and Windsor already this season.

I'm just going to try and enjoy what hockey we have left.

Northernstormfan

Apr 26, 2015
Northern Ontario
Yes, he does. It's only getting worse the more games this team loses. I think he needs an attitude adjustment big time. Healthy scratch for a game or two should be in order.

EDIT: I should add, it's not even just body language anymore. He's out there flat our giving up on some plays and was kicked off the bench for chirping at coaches a couple weeks ago.

EDIT #2: I didn't add my predictions.

4-2 NB - Harland GWG
6-1 SSM - Senyshyn GWG
5-3 FLNT - Sherwood GWG

I have been saying that for most of the year and I get taken to task about it every time. He's young, he'll learn, he's just a rookie are just a few of the comments I hear back but I think if he hasn't learned by now from his mistakes he never will. I and a lot of other fans cringe when he steps out on the ice. He's a showboat plain and simple. We're sick of the fancy moves that he trys and ultimately fails at that 9 times out of 10 end up in the back of our net. He's lazy on the backcheck, he waits for his teammates to step in and do the job he's supposed to do. Yes the coaching staff didn't take care of this issue early enough, or maybe they did and he just thinks he's better or knows more than anyone else. The Storm team doesn't need that type of player on its roster. If he's going to be a good player in the future than he needs to have a serious attitude adjustment now. Easier to learn the tough lessons early rather than later.
That said, Merkley isn't the only player that needs to be taken to task for their attitude out on the ice. Many players have not playing to the best of their abilities.

TrueBlueStorm

Apr 25, 2014
Merkley

second worst +/- in the league at -27
And IMHO he's getting worse -4 against SSM Friday
Seems like he doesn't care- no commitment to defence, quick to attack, no hustle getting back
If there aren't serious changes over the last 17 games I would suggest either he goes or the coaches go, and I favour the coaches- if they can't control a 16 yo, what are they doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad