Guelph Storm 2016-17 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
Merkley wont change, he is a product of the GTHL, where he has been recruited and told how great he is from a very young age.
Coaches in the G only care about winning and trying to keep players like Merkley on their team the following year, so he has never been held accountable by anyone.
Sad really, because he has great skill , but his character will keep him from playing pro.

TrueBlueStorm

Apr 25, 2014
Interesting comment

Prophet
I seem to recall an article from a few years ago lamenting the fact that even though the GTHL was the largest minor hockey association in Canada, they had a relatively low percentage of players make the NHL.
I know recruiting has always been a problem, I wonder if this also contributes to future success/failure as players move on.

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
Prophet
I seem to recall an article from a few years ago lamenting the fact that even though the GTHL was the largest minor hockey association in Canada, they had a relatively low percentage of players make the NHL.
I know recruiting has always been a problem, I wonder if this also contributes to future success/failure as players move on.

Not all cases, but with Merkley yes, he has never been a good team mate, always a great player, and his minor coaches never took him to task, in his mine, he is acting normal.
The past coaches and other adults in his life have done him no favors.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Not all cases, but with Merkley yes, he has never been a good team mate, always a great player, and his minor coaches never took him to task, in his mine, he is acting normal.
The past coaches and other adults in his life have done him no favors.

Just find it curious when a poster says a player is not a good team mate. How would you know something like that? Most people don't have a clue how players on OHL teams respond to each other.?

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
Just find it curious when a poster says a player is not a good team mate. How would you know something like that? Most people don't have a clue how players on OHL teams respond to each other.?

Very good question Bobber. Suggests some type of insider knowledge?
Merkley scored tonight. Sometimes he looks like he thinks he needs to do things by himself. Maybe there's a reason for that. Just sayin'.

Thoughts are welcome.

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
I have been saying that for most of the year and I get taken to task about it every time. He's young, he'll learn, he's just a rookie are just a few of the comments I hear back but I think if he hasn't learned by now from his mistakes he never will. I and a lot of other fans cringe when he steps out on the ice. He's a showboat plain and simple. We're sick of the fancy moves that he trys and ultimately fails at that 9 times out of 10 end up in the back of our net. He's lazy on the backcheck, he waits for his teammates to step in and do the job he's supposed to do. Yes the coaching staff didn't take care of this issue early enough, or maybe they did and he just thinks he's better or knows more than anyone else. The Storm team doesn't need that type of player on its roster. If he's going to be a good player in the future than he needs to have a serious attitude adjustment now. Easier to learn the tough lessons early rather than later.
That said, Merkley isn't the only player that needs to be taken to task for their attitude out on the ice. Many players have not playing to the best of their abilities.

I'll be honest, I was one of those people that sided with those excuses. There is no way a 16 year old rookie playing top pairing D and huge minutes wouldn't struggle defensively.

My biggest issue now is that he's been getting worse it seems as opposed to improving. That is not a good look for him. I see the coaching staff talking to him a lot during games, and nothing is changing.

noobie1

Oct 30, 2014
I think what people are seeing from Merkley is squarely on the coaching staff. This is a 16 year old kid. Talent beyond belief. But that also needs to be honed and developed into a more complete game. Only doing his future hockey career a disservice by not holding him accountable. So some minor hockey coaches let get away with it.... guess what, 3 former pro players on the staff should have a better handle on what is needed to get to the next time level and what is good for the team. You would have thought anyways. Top 2 minutes as a 16 year old. Now how do you go forward to reward a kid based on merit when he has been used to those minutes without really deserving them. No doubt ting what he can do and what he is capable of, but it is going to be awfully tough to rein the kid in 80% of the way through his rookie season and go back and teach him more accountability in his game and to his team.

Northernstormfan

Apr 26, 2015
Northern Ontario
Noobie1 you can't put the blame solely on the Storm coaching staffs shoulders. Maybe not even his other coaches. We don't know what has transpired between them and Merkley. For all we know they have talked to him until they're blue in the face. I have teenage sons and I know first hand that sometimes talking to a teenager is like talking to a wall. And I have also learned that actions do speak louder and clearer. Tough love and hard lessons are needed to wake them up. Sitting him down for a few games will do more than sitting him for a few minutes or yelling at him. Make him see that he is not the be all end all of this team.

noobie1

Oct 30, 2014
Noobie1 you can't put the blame solely on the Storm coaching staffs shoulders. Maybe not even his other coaches. We don't know what has transpired between them and Merkley. For all we know they have talked to him until they're blue in the face. I have teenage sons and I know first hand that sometimes talking to a teenager is like talking to a wall. And I have also learned that actions do speak louder and clearer. Tough love and hard lessons are needed to wake them up. Sitting him down for a few games will do more than sitting him for a few minutes or yelling at him. Make him see that he is not the be all end all of this team.

You just reinforced my whole point on the coaches.... you went on to say they need to hold him accountable and actions speak louder than words etc... that is my point, they have not done that all year and they should have been doing just that. But his play has been the same all year and nothing has been done, so how do you decide to do something about it now and expect to get an appropriate response.

rangersblues

Mar 21, 2010
Here's a thought.....and one that is purely speculative.. what if the coaching staff have their hands tied by upper management in how they can deal with Merkley?

I think some people are expecting a lot from one talented 16 year old defenseman who is playing on a team with not many good players.

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
I think some people are expecting a lot from one talented 16 year old defenseman who is playing on a team with not many good players.

Here's a thought.....and one that is purely speculative.. what if the coaching staff have their hands tied by upper management in how they can deal with Merkley?

Rangersblues - that is exactly what is going on, but Northernstormfan also has a point that might be quite correct. When Merkley was drafted first overall, he was touted as The Saviour that the team would be built around - much fanfare and publication of his coming to the Storm. How does that not fill a 16 year old head? It might just be that it was directed to put him on the top two D, and that's a lot of expectation for a 16 year old rookie to fulfill. It may also be that with this team underperforming as to what was expected, he takes on a lot of the responsibility unto himself, and with that the frustration of being unable to turn things around as touted - could explain the body language out there. He does try to do too much sometimes and that's when the glaring errors happen.

AllhockeyOHL

Aug 27, 2015
Kicking Tires

So now that we are all kicking the tires on this clunker of a season why are all of you focused on just one part.Ryan Merkley is the most talented player on this team and will get opportunities because of this talent that virtually non of his team-mates will get. What is my point? You guys are kicking the wrong tires. Lets be honest about the uncoachable's on this team, Smith, mcFadden, Hotchkiss, Deakin-Poot, etc. etc. All drafted to be main contributors for this team, all either over valued, underskilled or just plain uncoachable with little hockey sense (see Smith) i'll take a team of players like RM and you can have the rest. I'll kick your butt, ps. your kicking the wrong tires

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
So now that we are all kicking the tires on this clunker of a season why are all of you focused on just one part.Ryan Merkley is the most talented player on this team and will get opportunities because of this talent that virtually non of his team-mates will get. What is my point? You guys are kicking the wrong tires. Lets be honest about the uncoachable's on this team, Smith, mcFadden, Hotchkiss, Deakin-Poot, etc. etc. All drafted to be main contributors for this team, all either over valued, underskilled or just plain uncoachable with little hockey sense (see Smith) i'll take a team of players like RM and you can have the rest. I'll kick your butt, ps. your kicking the wrong tires

Good post. The kicking of other tires is exactly why I haven't commented much on the board this year - I've got a bit to say on each of those players you've listed, and I didn't want to go into the negativity. . Maybe I'll do a year end wrap up when it's all over.....:sarcasm:

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
Allhockey making a good point.

As frustrating as Merkley has been at times this year we need to stop and remember he is only 16, its not to say he can't improve but I'm willing to give him more time. I wasn't impressed with Ratcliffe that much last year and look at him now.

Givani Smith is the player I've been beyond frustrated with. It's not just the stupid penalties but before he had scoring to at least off set that a bit. He has one non empty net goal since new years. 5 goals total since the start of December. Not good for a guy who was supposed to be an offensive leader. Nice to see Skalde finally call him out for his dumb penalties.

Friday could be a real decider if this team gets 1st overall or not. Barrie is not good at all and if the Storm win Friday and get an 8 point lead on the Colts I think Barrie would be hard pressed to make that up. A Colts win and its a 4 point gap and it makes things possible.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
My thoughts - straight to the point.

1) Merkley is 16. Let's not blame the whole season on a kid who was essentially given no time to adjust and was thrown directly into the fire. I think he'll be fine. Not sure about him as a pro, but he should be able to have a great OHL career.

2) I'm not intending to beat a dead horse here, but as I have written numerous times, Smith should have been dealt at the deadline. It would have been better for him and for this team in so many ways.

3) Coaching needs to be re-evaluated. Ideally by someone who didn't hire them, but I guess that's unlikely. Either they aren't promoting the message properly, or the team is not listening. Either way, can't go into next year with a divide between the players and coaches. Some of the players need to go, but since that is hugely unlikely, it's probably got to be the coaches. This young team needs some discipline, and this staff has not been able to get that job done. It's plain to see, regardless of the reason.

4) This team has to be better at the draft table. Too many early round disappointments. I don't need to name names, we all know who they are.

5) The Storm will not finish last. I'm pretty confident it will be either 19th, or more likely, 18th. That said, wherever they finish, they need an impact player. Period. Or this team needs to use some of it's picks over the summer to deal for an impact player. This is not a contending team next year in my opinion. Also might want to look at the goaltending position, although the teams defensive woes are IMO, a team effort. They're all not great.

This team has a lot of issues moving forward. Can GMMK swallow his pride and cut loose some of his mistakes, or will he double down on them and go into next year with the same roster (which apparently he likes for some reason) and expect different results.

The current slogan is "A New Dawn" but this looks a lot like the same crap we've seen for the last couple of years. But hey, at least the ticket prices are going up again :help:

Northernstormfan

Apr 26, 2015
Northern Ontario
So I believe that most everyone on here is in agreement about this years team and where it needs to go next year if the Storm want to have a team to make it to the playoffs or at least place in the top 10. I am in total agreement about Smith. I was crossing my fingers at trade time that he would be moved on. No such luck, but to be honest who would want him in his current frame of mind and would we get anything for him besides a bag of pucks? I think a complete house cleaning from the GM down is what we need to see happen if the Storm want to move forward. A fresh perspective.

noobie1

Oct 30, 2014
My thoughts - straight to the point.

1) Merkley is 16. Let's not blame the whole season on a kid who was essentially given no time to adjust and was thrown directly into the fire. I think he'll be fine. Not sure about him as a pro, but he should be able to have a great OHL career.

2) I'm not intending to beat a dead horse here, but as I have written numerous times, Smith should have been dealt at the deadline. It would have been better for him and for this team in so many ways.

3) Coaching needs to be re-evaluated. Ideally by someone who didn't hire them, but I guess that's unlikely. Either they aren't promoting the message properly, or the team is not listening. Either way, can't go into next year with a divide between the players and coaches. Some of the players need to go, but since that is hugely unlikely, it's probably got to be the coaches. This young team needs some discipline, and this staff has not been able to get that job done. It's plain to see, regardless of the reason.

4) This team has to be better at the draft table. Too many early round disappointments. I don't need to name names, we all know who they are.

5) The Storm will not finish last. I'm pretty confident it will be either 19th, or more likely, 18th. That said, wherever they finish, they need an impact player. Period. Or this team needs to use some of it's picks over the summer to deal for an impact player. This is not a contending team next year in my opinion. Also might want to look at the goaltending position, although the teams defensive woes are IMO, a team effort. They're all not great.

This team has a lot of issues moving forward. Can GMMK swallow his pride and cut loose some of his mistakes, or will he double down on them and go into next year with the same roster (which apparently he likes for some reason) and expect different results.

The current slogan is "A New Dawn" but this looks a lot like the same crap we've seen for the last couple of years. But hey, at least the ticket prices are going up again :help:

I think everything I have mentioned others have comes down to point number 3... either Re evaluated or they need to hold this whole team more accountable. I think it is the root of most issues we are seeing. I am guilty of possiblyour sounding like I am being hard on Merkley, that was not my intention. My intent is to point out the lack of accountability him and other kids on this team are demonstrating which comes down to the staff.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
I think everything I have mentioned others have comes down to point number 3... either Re evaluated or they need to hold this whole team more accountable. I think it is the root of most issues we are seeing. I am guilty of possiblyour sounding like I am being hard on Merkley, that was not my intention. My intent is to point out the lack of accountability him and other kids on this team are demonstrating which comes down to the staff.

It's not even about holding the team accountable...there is only so much they can do. Who knows the directive from above them. I mean let's say coach Skalde has approached GMMK about sitting one of Smith or Merkley to send a message....if management isn't on board, coach really only has two options... 1) get fired when he benches one of those two players 2) continue trying to talk to the players but without any real consequence to hold over them.

I really believe the staff is trying to do what they can, but for whatever reason, the players are just tuning them out.

As far as coaching, I don't know enough about systems to know what they are trying to do vs what's actually being done. I do know that I've seen very little improvement over the year, and they look as disorganized as they ever have.

The effort level from many of the players seems to be lacking too. Not sure if it's the effect of losing so much and so badly with seemingly no concern or help coming from management, or maybe they are frustrated with the coaches and their methods? I don't know but from where I sit, many of the players look uninterested and uninspired when the puck isn't on their stick.

I'll say it again....something is not right in Storm land. I don't know what it is, but they've got to figure it out before the season starts next year. I would imagine these results and lack of action from the team is starting to grind on the team's loyal fans....I know I'm starting to get frustrated. I'm not sure fans will suffer through another year like this....nor should they. If this team wants to turn a corner, they're going to have to stop talking and start doing.

the tl:dr version: team is not good....in virtually every aspect...changes need to be made prior to next year.

noobie1

Oct 30, 2014
It's not even about holding the team accountable...there is only so much they can do. Who knows the directive from above them. I mean let's say coach Skalde has approached GMMK about sitting one of Smith or Merkley to send a message....if management isn't on board, coach really only has two options... 1) get fired when he benches one of those two players 2) continue trying to talk to the players but without any real consequence to hold over them.

I really believe the staff is trying to do what they can, but for whatever reason, the players are just tuning them out.

As far as coaching, I don't know enough about systems to know what they are trying to do vs what's actually being done. I do know that I've seen very little improvement over the year, and they look as disorganized as they ever have.

The effort level from many of the players seems to be lacking too. Not sure if it's the effect of losing so much and so badly with seemingly no concern or help coming from management, or maybe they are frustrated with the coaches and their methods? I don't know but from where I sit, many of the players look uninterested and uninspired when the puck isn't on their stick.

I'll say it again....something is not right in Storm land. I don't know what it is, but they've got to figure it out before the season starts next year. I would imagine these results and lack of action from the team is starting to grind on the team's loyal fans....I know I'm starting to get frustrated. I'm not sure fans will suffer through another year like this....nor should they. If this team wants to turn a corner, they're going to have to stop talking and start doing.

the tl:dr version: team is not good....in virtually every aspect...changes need to be made prior to next year.

the same can be said for the directive coming from even higher than GMMK as well I suppose. I am sure there are a lot of frustrated people in that back office. The rumours have been out there a long time that ownership is more involved than they should be. Any way you look at it... someone, or some group is not holding the kids accountable. I can only say that as a lifelong Storm fan, I have seen Mike Kelly operate and not holding people accountable is not part of his Modus Operandi. He has always been one to hold people accountable. May not agree with all his decisions, but that is somewhere he is very good. Skalde and Staff I can't say other than what I see from the stands, and I don't see a lot of it in my view. Ownership, there has always been talk of medling with coaches, GM's etc...

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
McFadden sits for 8 games. Sound about right?

Didn't see the hit. Thought there wasn't even a penalty on the play. Sometimes bad stuff just happens. But like I said, I didn't see it.

Also, I don't really care. At this point the more losses the better, I guess. Maybe it should have been 20, lol.

GUE 3 SAR 2 (Schnarr)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad