Value of: Grubauer to Buffalo/NYI

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Why do folks think the Caps are interested in trading their good players for futures?

Just playing w the idea. The original rationale was to clear space to re-sign Carlson.

Why do people get so f***ing defensive about trade banter that isn’t going to happen any way. Always amazes me.

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
Just playing w the idea. The original rationale was to clear space to re-sign Carlson.

Why do people get so ****ing defensive about trade banter that isn’t going to happen any way. Always amazes me.
I don't think I'm being defensive. LMAO

I just don't see the logic. There is a difference.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015

Why do people get so ****ing defensive about trade banter that isn’t going to happen any way. Always amazes me.
No I see where you’re coming from and I have no problem with your inquiries, Niskanen would be a great fit for exactly what the Isles need. Unfortunately the Caps also need him and most non-Caps fans don’t understand that he has been understatedly fantastic for us since we signed him. Combined with his extremely reasonable contract, he’s a keeper and, as Peter^ said a few posts before, the Caps probably aren’t looking to trade from their core for futures right now.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
No I see where you’re coming from and I have no problem with your inquiries, Niskanen would be a great fit for exactly what the Isles need. Unfortunately the Caps also need him and most non-Caps fans don’t understand that he has been understatedly fantastic for us since we signed him. Combined with his extremely reasonable contract, he’s a keeper and, as Peter^ said a few posts before, the Caps probably aren’t looking to trade from their core for futures right now.

Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense, losing him would make you paper thin on the blueline.

Still interested in Grub, just not sure of his starter potential.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada

my fav line so far , ''its not like they have to trade him''

its just a bloody trade conversation about Grubs and now your taking him off the table lol !

anyways - if the caps can move orpik (1 year left @ 5.5 )it probably gives them the extra salary flex to keep wilson,carlson and offer Grubauer a decent 1 year deal before he hits free agency / keep him as insurance for Holts

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Sabres 2018 2nd + Sabres 2019 2nd
for
Grubauer and Florida 2018 2nd

You get a 2nd rounder upgrade this year by 14 spots and 2019 2nd to give us Grubauer. Think it's fair value on bith sides if you are interested in picks.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
NO Try Again. He’s an arbitration-eligible RFA. At this point the Caps have nearly as much say in where he plays as he himself does.

I meant to say he's going to be UFA next year unless he signs more than a 1 year deal which I'd be shocked.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Sabres 2018 2nd + Sabres 2019 2nd
for
Grubauer and Florida 2018 2nd

You get a 2nd rounder upgrade this year by 14 spots and 2019 2nd to give us Grubauer. Think it's fair value on bith sides if you are interested in picks.
I'd say take out the Florida 2nd and the Caps probably trade Grubauer to Buffalo. Two 2nd rounders would be good value if a team isn't willing to dish out a 1st. I still think someone is willing to part with a later 1st rounder for him though. His numbers have been great

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
my fav line so far , ''its not like they have to trade him''

its just a bloody trade conversation about Grubs and now your taking him off the table lol !

anyways - if the caps can move orpik (1 year left @ 5.5 )it probably gives them the extra salary flex to keep wilson,carlson and offer Grubauer a decent 1 year deal before he hits free agency / keep him as insurance for Holts

My fav is posters staunchly rejecting trades as if they are the GM of the teams they speak for. This is an internet message board, most of this trade stuff is fantasy anyway; fun conjecture among fans.

Grubs is still in play I would think.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
What's the value here? These are the only two places that either have a hole at 1G or don't trust anyone else in the system to be a #1 goalie next season. Detroit isn't a fit due to Howard's contract. Could the Islanders be the fit here since Lou loves solving goalie issues (Schneider/Andersen)?

Could a early 2nd + good prospect from Buffalo or 1st rounder from Calgary be the right fit here?

Lou Lamoriello once traded a 9th overall for Corey Schneider.

Does anyone seriously think Grubauer holds the level of prospect status that Schneider did at the point in time he was acquired?

In addition, the Devils at that time had nothing in their system like Soderstrom on the prospect front, much less Sorokin.

I would hope Lou has another plan for solving the NYI goaltending equation.

JMHO...

Efactor

Dec 10, 2002
hfboards.mandatory.com
NO Try Again. He’s an arbitration-eligible RFA. At this point the Caps have nearly as much say in where he plays as he himself does.

There are plenty of teams in Europe that would pay him several million to be their goalie. He won't sign with the Caps again to be a backup for low money. A trade this offseason WILL happen.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
There are plenty of teams in Europe that would pay him several million to be their goalie. He won't sign with the Caps again to be a backup for low money. A trade this offseason WILL happen.

He could just stick it to the Caps and accept his Qualifying offer, if he goes to arbitration their is a chance they force him to take a 2 year deal

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I can't imagine the Sabres giving up another high pick for a goalie right now.

They just recently spent a #21 pick in a deep 2015 draft on a goalie. Most Sabres fans still have a bad taste in our mouths from that trade, so I don't see many agreeing to this trade.

Plus, Buffalo spent a high 2nd drafting a goalie just last year.

And Jason Botterill seems kinda high on Linus Ullmark. He already said that Ullmark will be one of Buffalo's 2 goalies and will "absolutely get the opportunity to compete for the starting job next year".

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
They better not trade 2 firsts for a goalie. That’s insane.

Yeah I have to agree, better be one of the best goalies in the league on a fair contract for both.

All that being said Schneider for 12th(+ Greiss) would be fair

Reactions: SI90

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Yeah I have to agree, better be one of the best goalies in the league on a fair contract for both.

I’d do that. A lot of people seem down on Schneider because of his health but he’s a legit starter and not at a terrible age.

BringBackLibertys

Oct 10, 2007
Middlesex, NC

Cory has a no trade clause on one of the up and coming teams in the Metro that plays the way the game needs to be played to win right now (fast all day long). Why would he wave to go to a team that may or may not be as good as the Devils next year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad