Value of: Grubauer to Buffalo/NYI

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
A second = grubs , A second + Pelech = Niskanen .

not offended if you dont like proposal :)
Yeah I'm not sure you know what "=" means but this is not it. Also Grubauer for a 2nd? You've got one more strike and you're out.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Yeah cause offersheeting is never a good idea

My 2 cents about a 4M offersheet(1 year)

1. it screws over the Capitals(caphit)
2. basically gives Grubauer a year to prove himself (on a plus side for him he gets a high salary, plus UFA status in a year, on the negative side for him no security) so we can decide in 2019 if we should extend that deal or not
3. Worst case scenario we lose a 2nd round pick for a 1 year rental
4. If caps match the deal we can go after him next year as a UFA

Last edited:

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
It's all good. I am a Ranger fan but I am trying to speak from what you need and would do well with here. I am not trying to throw your team under a bus. We personally have no need for a goalie, it is one of our strongest prospect positions, and we still have Lundy for at least 2-3 more competitive years (although I don't think he is what he was 3-4 years ago). Sorry if I hit a nerve simply because I root for a rival team. The same can be said about the Caps, they have been more our rivals then the NYI over the past few years to be totally honest. I dislike them both equally as organizations, but I still like talking hockey no matter who the team is.

1st round picks are not baseball cards or action figures or whatever, where if you have one green power ranger figure you don't need another. I'm sure as a Ranger fan you're eager to see who is available at #9 and who your team takes, we have two choices to bring in two high-level young prospects, the result of a patient year where we didn't move the Calgary pick. The flexibility to bring in two forwards, a forward & a defenseman, or two defenseman - it's extremely valuable and we're going to need a player a heck of a lot more valuable than Grabauer to move it.

If there's a bidding war for Grabauer, nobody else is ponying up 12th overall value for him. 12th overall does not equal Buffalo's 2nd and a "good" prospect. The closest I've seen is an Avs fan offering 16OA, but they've got Varly in the fold already, do the majority of Avs fans go along with that deal or prefer to keep their pick?

Either way, it boils down to why should the Isles pony up an overpayment when there's zero threat of it being beaten?

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Yeah I'm not sure you know what "=" means but this is not it. Also Grubauer for a 2nd? You've got one more strike and you're out.

you have a limited audience for Grubauer's services and one of them offers you a second rounder (45'ish ov ) and your going to balk at that ?

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
you have a limited audience for Grubauer's services and one of them offers you a second rounder (45'ish ov ) and your going to balk at that ?

your acting like they have to trade him. what reason do they have to do that?

BringBackLibertys

Oct 10, 2007
Middlesex, NC
Either way, it boils down to why should the Isles pony up an overpayment when there's zero threat of it being beaten?

Because not making the move means you have zero chance of making the playoffs with your under performing goalies currently on your roster. It is not about paying just barely more then the next guy, it is about getting a goalie that can give your team the quality it needs in net to make the playoffs. If you don't see it that way I understand, but I would love to know who your goalie is on opening night?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
My 2 cents is if Caps are demanding a first for Grubauer, I would just ask Ottawa what they want for Anderson or Detroit for Howard. I know people are saying this year is bad for UFAs but I am guessing Lehtonen, Ward or Bernier can be had for decent short term deals

Because not making the move means you have zero chance of making the playoffs with your under performing goalies currently on your roster. It is not about paying just barely more then the next guy, it is about getting a goalie that can give your team the quality it needs in net to make the playoffs. If you don't see it that way I understand, but I would love to know who your goalie is on opening night?

Our defensive(goals allowed) problems went way beyond bad goaltending. We could have had the best goalie in the league and our goals allowed would maybe have went from worst to 3rd-5th worst

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

This is wrong. Goalie play fluctuates so much that there IS a chance that one of the guys the Isles have already puts up a decent year, or some reclamation project does. The idea that it is Grubauer or nothing just doesn't jibe with the history of the position that we've seen.

BringBackLibertys

Oct 10, 2007
Middlesex, NC
This is wrong. Goalie play fluctuates so much that there IS a chance that one of the guys the Isles have already puts up a decent year, or some reclamation project does. The idea that it is Grubauer or nothing just doesn't jibe with the history of the position that we've seen.

The problem is that this is not a goalie in a vacuum situation. Are you saying Lou is negotiating with JT and telling him "Don't Worry, Greiss will turn it around next year and we will give you your chance at the cup." This is more then just about hoping Greiss is going to turn it around, this is about showing JT why he should stay.

Or you can just tell him you don't plan to make any major changes, draft two kids that wont be ready for the next year or two, and hope he doesn't walk away on 7/1.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
The problem is that this is not a goalie in a vacuum situation. Are you saying Lou is negotiating with JT and telling him "Don't Worry, Greiss will turn it around next year and we will give you your chance at the cup." This is more then just about hoping Greiss is going to turn it around, this is about showing JT why he should stay..

How about the goaltender selection this year is terrible but next year their is alot of top end goalies worth holding out for.

BringBackLibertys

Oct 10, 2007
Middlesex, NC
How about the goaltender selection this year is terrible but next year their is alot of top end goalies worth holding out for.

What would you say if you had a chance to play at a place that was set up to win (Say SJ) or a team that said this year will be bumpy but hey next year, next year will be the year we get someone. BTW, this is after years of him being told next year will be the year. Both offer you the same offer...

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
What would you say if you had a chance to play at a place that was set up to win (Say SJ) or a team that said this year will be bumpy but hey next year, next year will be the year we get someone. BTW, this is after years of him being told next year will be the year. Both offer you the same offer...

I am not sure I would view making an move for the sake of making move the right choice. If I am signing 8 years I would want to know what the 8 year plan is, in which case waiting out a year for a better option(s) seems like a good move.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
The problem is that this is not a goalie in a vacuum situation. Are you saying Lou is negotiating with JT and telling him "Don't Worry, Greiss will turn it around next year and we will give you your chance at the cup." This is more then just about hoping Greiss is going to turn it around, this is about showing JT why he should stay.

Or you can just tell him you don't plan to make any major changes, draft two kids that wont be ready for the next year or two, and hope he doesn't walk away on 7/1.

Those are the only 2 choices? Boy Lou has lost his touch if the only thing he can think of is trade a 1st for Grubauer OR go with Greiss and use the picks to draft someone.

I mean, I guess it's impossible to get any other goalie. Or impossible to trade either one of those picks for a player at another position.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
If there is one position that Lamoriello needs to fill, it's in net. Unfortunately the UFA market is trash, the Isles in house options are not ready and the trade market is pretty thin.

If Washington were willing to swap firsts and take the Isles 3rd rounder (72) for Grubauer, I'd personally do it.

12 oa
72 oa

For
Grubauer
31oa
why do this when you could just offer sheet hi m for less?
Also his situation is very similar to Bernier.
Grubauer= Jon Bernier

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Those are the only 2 choices? Boy Lou has lost his touch if the only thing he can think of is trade a 1st for Grubauer OR go with Greiss and use the picks to draft someone.

I mean, I guess it's impossible to get any other goalie. Or impossible to trade either one of those picks for a player at another position.

My 2 cents is Islanders need to use one or both those picks on top 4 defense

BringBackLibertys

Oct 10, 2007
Middlesex, NC
I am not sure I would view making an move for the sake of making move the right choice. If I am signing 8 years I would want to know what the 8 year plan is, in which case waiting out a year for a better option(s) seems like a good move.

I can see we won't be able to come to an agreement. Saying going to San Jose is making a move to make a move is short sighted. It would be making a move because the other team is MUCH better over recent history and more prepared to go forward from today. The NYI had three playoffs in the last what, 10? I think you look at both teams, and see that SJ has a better roster today, with better young players overall (although one could argue Barzal is the best OF the young players, we will see).

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I can see we won't be able to come to an agreement. Saying going to San Jose is making a move to make a move is short sighted. It would be making a move because the other team is MUCH better over recent history and more prepared to go forward from today. The NYI had three playoffs in the last what, 10? I think you look at both teams, and see that SJ has a better roster today, with better young players overall (although one could argue Barzal is the best OF the young players, we will see).

As I said Islanders above would be better focusing on (nhl) defense this draft/summer and waiting till next year to find that #1 goalie when their will be a much better market. the 12 pick for an unproven goalie is terrible asset management, the 12th pick for a legit top 4 defenseman not so much.

BringBackLibertys

Oct 10, 2007
Middlesex, NC

I am not saying those are the only two choices, I was responding to someone who said that you should just keep both picks and get two players that help you later. So my response was geared to what we were discussing. Of course you can get a different goalie, or even a different player. But you NEED to get a better goalie, that part I am pretty certain of. I think Lou is as well.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I would do something around 12OA and Pelech for Grub and Niskanen.

For Grub stand alone—2nd and 3rd in 18?

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
It's all good. I am a Ranger fan but I am trying to speak from what you need and would do well with here. I am not trying to throw your team under a bus. We personally have no need for a goalie, it is one of our strongest prospect positions, and we still have Lundy for at least 2-3 more competitive years (although I don't think he is what he was 3-4 years ago). Sorry if I hit a nerve simply because I root for a rival team. The same can be said about the Caps, they have been more our rivals then the NYI over the past few years to be totally honest. I dislike them both equally as organizations, but I still like talking hockey no matter who the team is.
Im not an islanders fan. Im a neutral fan who thinks any team playing a top 15 pick for a goalie straight up who has yet to play 50% of a season is crazy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad