Value of: Grubauer to Buffalo/NYI

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
What's the value here? These are the only two places that either have a hole at 1G or don't trust anyone else in the system to be a #1 goalie next season. Detroit isn't a fit due to Howard's contract. Could the Islanders be the fit here since Lou loves solving goalie issues (Schneider/Andersen)?

Could a early 2nd + good prospect from Buffalo or 1st rounder from Calgary be the right fit here?

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
What's the value here? These are the only two places that either have a hole at 1G or don't trust anyone else in the system to be a #1 goalie next season. Detroit isn't a fit due to Howard's contract. Could the Islanders be the fit here since Lou loves solving goalie issues (Schneider/Andersen)?

Could a early 2nd + good prospect from Buffalo or 1st rounder from Calgary be the right fit here?

Colorado chimes in... with some combination of Avs 1st/Avs 2nd/NSH 2nd

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Andersen at the very least had some playoff success to his resume as well as multiple seasons as a starter before only garnering like the second last pick in the first round. Grub doesn’t come close to that. Think more along the lines of Talbot, if that.

Reactions: Rasmus Reichel

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Andersen at the very least had some playoff success to his resume as well as multiple seasons as a starter before only garnering like the second last pick in the first round. Grub doesn’t come close to that. Think more along the lines of Talbot, if that.

from an islanders POV I would think 41st and maybe a 3rd/4th round pick?

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014

Eh. Schneider had similar GP as Grubauer did at similar ages.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Value wise, you could look at what Raanta, Darling and Jones fetched.

Darling was traded for a 3rd rounder.
Jones was traded for a 1st rounder.
Raanta was part of a bigger deal, can't really say what exactly his value was.

Grubauer should be worth around a 3rd + B prospect. Howard's contract isn't really an issue, Detroit needs another goalie and Howard is bound to get injured.

PHI 3rd + Saarijarvi would be my offer from DET.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Colorado chimes in... with some combination of Avs 1st/Avs 2nd/NSH 2nd

I thought of you guys, but with Varlamov still on the books I don't know how you can afford to pay 9 million or so even for one year as a tandem.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
That’s actually a pretty good offer imho. A 2nd a 4th this draft. Isles platoon Greiss Grub until Grub solidifies his start spot by mid point of the season

Maybe I am over estimating this draft because the Islanders are drafting higher then normal but I do think this draft has good depth so that 41st pick should have decent value

Reactions: IODCPiper

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY

As a Sabres fan zero interest in overpaying for Grubauer. It's got a very high potential to end up turning out exactly like the Lehner deal. See what we have in Ullmark first, if he disappoints after this season maybe you look to make an improvement in net.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
It's probably not going to happen, but assuming the Caps keep Carlson, they can't match a grubauer offer sheet that's above 2,029,659 and lower than 4,059, 322 it would only cost the team a 2nd, which might be the return anyways.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
As a Sabres fan zero interest in overpaying for Grubauer. It's got a very high potential to end up turning out exactly like the Lehner deal. See what we have in Ullmark first, if he disappoints after this season maybe you look to make an improvement in net.

I see your team signing Bernier/Hutton to tandem with Ullmark assuming Lehner isn't given the QO. Isles with Lou make more sense TBH

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
It's probably not going to happen, but assuming the Caps keep Carlson, they can't match a grubauer offer sheet that's above 2,029,659 and lower than 4,059, 322 it would only cost the team a 2nd, which might be the return anyways.

why not?

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014

Long term cap? Grubauer doesn't want to be the backup forever there. Talbot/Darling/Jones/Raanta are guys like him that were traded to be the guy elsewhere and the teams did right by them. If samsonov progresses the way like he should, he's gone anyways.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
All it takes is one buyer willing to do it, but I don't see anyone doing that for Grubauer.

Talbot got a late 2nd, 3rd and 7th.
Darling a pending UFA got a 3rd

I'm not including Jones/Andersen since those guys were perceived as higher value, but the talbot trade is likely what they'll get in return.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
He can be a UFA next summer if he signs a 1 year deal (7 or 27 UFA rule).

Shame Islanders don't have their own 2nd rounder next year else I would offer sheet him to like a 4M(2nd rounder comp) 1 year deal

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Talbot got a late 2nd, 3rd and 7th.
Darling a pending UFA got a 3rd

I'm not including Jones/Andersen since those guys were perceived as higher value, but the talbot trade is likely what they'll get in return.
They might. They might get more. They might get less. While prior deals can give you a general idea, it isn't perfect.

The price they'll get is the price that 1 buyer is willing to pay, and what a different buyer paid for a different player in a different year doesn't freeze the price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad