Value of: Grubauer to Buffalo/NYI

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Because not making the move means you have zero chance of making the playoffs with your under performing goalies currently on your roster. It is not about paying just barely more then the next guy, it is about getting a goalie that can give your team the quality it needs in net to make the playoffs. If you don't see it that way I understand, but I would love to know who your goalie is on opening night?

It's an empty ultimatum you're threatening. Considering where Colorado & Vegas were this point last offseason, when people were making "who'll finish with a worse record - Vegas or Colorado?" threads - how did that turn out? This team will be reinvigorated playing under a new boss, so if all you have is predictions of doom for the Islanders moving forward, I suggest finding something else to say.

The assets we have - two 2nds, Nelson, Ho-Sang, Dal Colle, potentially Pelech, those will be the likely assets bandied about to find a goalie. With Sorokin playing out his KHL contract, I'll take the chance underpaying for a Lehner, or a Jimmy Howard instead of a high 1st rounder for Grabauer.

Want one of our picks? Offer up a youngish top-4 defenseman. All we offer is the best of luck trying to find another team willing to pay a high 1st for Grabauer.

Reactions: IODCPiper and SI90

BringBackLibertys

Oct 10, 2007
Middlesex, NC
@CodeE Based on that, your best bet may be signing someone like Cam Ward and rolling the dice I guess. Good luck selling that to JT though.

I think I asked this earlier in the thread, but who are the goalies the NYI fans are generally hoping to trade/sign for? I haven't gone to specific team forums other then NYR and CH recently.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
@CodeE Based on that, your best bet may be signing someone like Cam Ward and rolling the dice I guess. Good luck selling that to JT though.

I think I asked this earlier in the thread, but who are the goalies the NYI fans are generally hoping to trade/sign for? I haven't gone to specific team forums other then NYR and CH recently.

As I pointed out next year looks like a much better year to go after goaltending then this year. if we can get a 1 year stop gap that to me is probably the best move all while putting any good assests we have into a search to improve our defense

You keep mention good luck selling to JT, how do we sell him on a goalie that hasn't played a full season yet being our starter?

In terms of what we could get, trade for Anderson(OTT) or Howard(Det). Maybe Lethonen, Bernier or Ward on the UFA market to a short term deal. Rumor around that Nashville might want to go in a new direction from Rhinne(UFA 2019). Other potential goalies who team might look to trade as they may try go for Grubauer might be Varlmalov or Smith. Not my 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th choice but maybe the Jets might want to unload Mason

By the way word on the Street is Islanders are interested in Crawford so there is another option

Last edited:

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA

Or if Lou does want Grabauer, he finds out what other teams are offering and makes a comparable deal from an Islanders standpoint. Until your Rangers offer up 9th overall, or Edmonton offers up 10th overall, I doubt we'll ever need to match a deal with 11 or 12.

There are plenty of teams perfectly content with their starters, which means the bidding pool is pretty shallow - and gets even shallower if say Nashville decides to move on from Rinne and go with Saros moving forward. As long as Lou initiates talks with Sorokin's camp and comes up with a timeframe to get him into the NHL, we don't need to overbid for the most expensive goalie in a weak year for them.

Reactions: IODCPiper

BringBackLibertys

Oct 10, 2007
Middlesex, NC
Or if Lou does want Grabauer, he finds out what other teams are offering and makes a comparable deal from an Islanders standpoint. Until your Rangers offer up 9th overall, or Edmonton offers up 10th overall, I doubt we'll ever need to match a deal with 11 or 12.

There are plenty of teams perfectly content with their starters, which means the bidding pool is pretty shallow - and gets even shallower if say Nashville decides to move on from Rinne and go with Saros moving forward. As long as Lou initiates talks with Sorokin's camp and comes up with a timeframe to get him into the NHL, we don't need to overbid for the most expensive goalie in a weak year for them.

Again, it's not about matching another teams offer. If you think you can offer a second to Washington that is fine, but they have no reason to trade Grabauer unless it is overpayment. He is doing nothing to hurt them right now. Basically, what I am saying is having a plan of "We will get him but for much less" is not the best plan.

I have not heard anything of Rinne being done in Nashville, is there a thread on that somewhere, or just people talking because he had a not amazing playoffs this year? Isn't Sorokin signed for the next 2 years in the KHL? That would mean coming over in 20-21 at the earliest.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

BringBackLibertys

Oct 10, 2007
Middlesex, NC
Ah, Kypreos, I think he was just pushing his own narrative. He doesn't know that they are getting rid of Rinne. He does make for some fun reading when he goes off on his tangents though.

Also, Rinne has a NTC, so no way would he allow a trade to happen from a competing Nashville team on the last year of his very good contract (since a bad year could kill him on a different team in terms of future contract).

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
you have a limited audience for Grubauer's services and one of them offers you a second rounder (45'ish ov ) and your going to balk at that ?
Yeah, Grubauer is pretty good insurance for Holtby and Samsonov. The Caps don't HAVE to trade Grubauer. It's arguable playing Grubauer as much as the Caps did is precisely what is now allowing Holtby to play as well as he is after finding his game.

A 2nd is below market and the Isles are in the same division. You want Grubauer you're going to pay for him.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Ah, Kypreos, I think he was just pushing his own narrative. He doesn't know that they are getting rid of Rinne. He does make for some fun reading when he goes off on his tangents though.

Also, Rinne has a NTC, so no way would he allow a trade to happen from a competing Nashville team on the last year of his very good contract (since a bad year could kill him on a different team in terms of future contract).

I seen that opinion(I don't want to say speculation) a few places but that was the only thing I could find on here doing a quick search. I am just throwing that out as one of many options. While I get what you say about Rinne, he might be open to a trade and sign on July 1 where he is guaranteed a few more years, that way he doesn't have to worry about how good or bad his season is in NY.

I would classify this more as a long shot then an actual good chance, but I am just using it to prove their might be a few other options. I am guessing if you are trying to sell Tavares on a culture of change though, much easier with Rinne or Crawford then Grubauer.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
This is wrong. Goalie play fluctuates so much that there IS a chance that one of the guys the Isles have already puts up a decent year, or some reclamation project does. The idea that it is Grubauer or nothing just doesn't jibe with the history of the position that we've seen.
Assuming two guys nearing the twilight of their career are going to improve from one year to the next is quite different than expecting a 26yr old to maintain what has been a very good career tragectory since he was drafted. At their age and at this point in their respective careers expecting Greiss, Halak, Howard, Ward, Anderson, or any other vet coming off a down-year to outperform a hungry, young, seasoned and developed player is not prudent. I agree 11 or 12 for Grubauer alone is likely an overpay but I don’t think Lamoriello is going to take the “chance” that one of those older options can plug one of the major holes that sank the Isles this season.

Reactions: IODCPiper

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
How about the goaltender selection this year is terrible but next year their is alot of top end goalies worth holding out for.
Try telling that to Tavares and he’s likely to tell you “Okay you can worry about MY contract NEXT season as well. I’m sure whatever team I’m playing for will be happy to hold out until then.”

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Finally... a thread that's realistic.

Would think Nick Leddy and a 2nd/3rd gets Grubauer.
The Caps would not want Leddy in this scenario. We don’t need and won’t have room for his Cap Hit and if we’re trading Grubauer it’s likely we’ve resigned Carlson.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
why do this when you could just offer sheet hi m for less?
Also his situation is very similar to Bernier.
Grubauer= Jon Bernier
When traded Jonathan Bernier had played 62G and never more than 25G in any season with a 29:20 record, 0.912sv% (essentially his career average) and 2.36GAA on a very good defensive Kings team.

Grubauer has played 79G is 43:31 and has a 0.923sv% and 2.29GAA. Grubauer has played more and has better numbers in every category and a significantly better career sv% on a team that has had defensive issues, particularly this season, where he played 35G.

In short, NO Grubauer =/= Jon Bernier.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
As I said Islanders above would be better focusing on (nhl) defense this draft/summer and waiting till next year to find that #1 goalie when their will be a much better market. the 12 pick for an unproven goalie is terrible asset management, the 12th pick for a legit top 4 defenseman not so much.
Also, not so likely.

If you’re thinking anything other than an older Vet that can still play Top 4 it’s unlikely 12 is going to get anyone inspiring. You’re certainly not going to get a 1D or 2D for 11/12 alone and I don’t see too many teams with a 3D young enough and good enough to be worth 11/12 that are looking to trade that player.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I would do something around 12OA and Pelech for Grub and Niskanen.

For Grub stand alone—2nd and 3rd in 18?
No thanks on either. Niskanen alone is likely worth Pelech and 12OA so that’s a NO GO (people really don’t seem to understand Niskanen’s ability, importance, and value to the Caps).

For a Division Rival, Grubauer is also clearly worth more than what is basically a mid-2nd + mid-3rd.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
No thanks on either. Niskanen alone is likely worth Pelech and 12OA so that’s a NO GO (people really don’t seem to understand Niskanen’s ability, importance, and value to the Caps).

For a Division Rival, Grubauer is also clearly worth more than what is basically a mid-2nd + mid-3rd.

Ok so would you be interested in the 12OA for Niskanen.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I don’t think the Caps would do 12OA + Pelech for Niskanen, they’re certainly not going to do 12OA alone. Niskanen is not the droid you are looking for.

He’s a solid number 3, borderline top pairing. He’s what we are looking for.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
The problem with Grubauer is the Caps aren’t going to be looking to do the islanders any favores so his price to a division rival will be significantly higher imo and hes has great numbers and he’s ready to try and prove he’s a starter.

Grubauer is virtually in the same spot as Schneider was when Lou acquired him from VAN for the 9th overall pick. So it will be interesting.

Reactions: peterthegreat12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad