• Total voters

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
00285950-C76F-4FBC-AD87-099CB771F9BA.jpeg

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I wouldn't say England has been relatively impressive, more on par with what they should be doing against the competition they have had. Could be a serious wake up call when they come up against better quality teams.

To be fair, they’ve been burned so many times I think they are legitimately trying to keep expectations low.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I wouldn't say England has been relatively impressive, more on par with what they should be doing against the competition they have had. Could be a serious wake up call when they come up against better quality teams.

Yeah, I keep wanting to say something about Belgium and England. They took care of business, but just look at who they played. The US failed to qualify as we know, but the US also beat Panama 4-0 right before the disaster in Trinidad. They are not a good team and not a good judge of how Belgium and England will play against good teams.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Who cares if it ends up with Ronaldo vs Messi. Not even close to the two best players in the WC these days.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

TJ21

SURVIVED JIMBOCALYPSE - 12/5/2021
Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
These announcers on TSN heaping praise on Messi, and I just don't understand it. He scored a brilliant goal no doubt, but I lost count of how many times in that second half he lost possession. Saying he was the best player on the pitch is ridiculous. Didn't look like himself at all, and man, this team keeps sneaking through. Credit to Rojo though, that was a gorgeous strike. I can't see them getting through France, but they'll have the pressure to win lifted from them somewhat, as not many will have them beating France. That could work in their favor, going to be a fun game to watch either way.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Facing Messi
I'm more nervous with France's play.
If they play like they can, Argentina won't be much of a trouble. If they don't, anything can happen, but at this point, I'd rather lose to Messi if we suck than scrap a poor win against Nigeria.

Reactions: Luigi Habs

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Yeah, I keep wanting to say something about Belgium and England. They took care of business, but just look at who they played. The US failed to qualify as we know, but the US also beat Panama 4-0 right before the disaster in Trinidad. They are not a good team and not a good judge of how Belgium and England will play against good teams.

Also out of the 6 goals, there were the 2 pens and 1 lucky deflection. Does not convince me in anyway that this England team is different than the ones in other recent major tournaments.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I can't see Argentina's defense holding up against France in theory. With the way France's attack has looked though, they could make Argentina's D look like that of 98 French WC team.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I'm coming up late to the thread, but has there been an outcry of the total incredible non call of a penalty for the handball?
Imagine if it was the other way around and Argentina wouldn't go through because of a ref mistake?

Reactions: Ivan13

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
These announcers on TSN heaping praise on Messi, and I just don't understand it. He scored a brilliant goal no doubt, but I lost count of how many times in that second half he lost possession. Saying he was the best player on the pitch is ridiculous. Didn't look like himself at all, and man, this team keeps sneaking through. Credit to Rojo though, that was a gorgeous strike. I can't see them getting through France, but they'll have the pressure to win lifted from them somewhat, as not many will have them beating France. That could work in their favor, going to be a fun game to watch either way.

KJ and Steven have been accused of being Ronaldo/Portugal apologists (which must be as rare as an actual blue moon amongst English/American pundits), while overly critical of Argentina and Messi. That’s why they added this third guy now.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
I'm coming up late to the thread, but has there been an outcry of the total incredible non call of a penalty for the handball?
Imagine if it was the other way around and Argentina wouldn't go through because of a ref mistake?
I mean Nigeria got away with a blatant red card when Di Maria was in the clear and got tripped.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014

I was amazed really. I mean, I didn't think it should've been a penalty either, but I was sure he would call it

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Yeah early in the game. It was arguable.

I don't think the handball was a handball either. He headed it into his own hand which was a foot away and clearly on accident.

That being said I have no idea how Ighalo missed. It was a perfect chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad