World Cup: Group D: Nigeria vs. Argentina, Iceland vs. Croatia, 6/26/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
All teams can advance, with Croatia already having done so. Our first group where this is the case.

Nigeria advances automatically with a win, they also advance with a draw and Iceland failing to win. They also advance if they draw and Iceland does not win by two goals.

Argentina advances with a win, most likely a win greater than Iceland wins against Croatia.

Iceland advances with a win and it has to be greater than Argentina's. If Argentina doesn't win or draw and they win, they need to win by two.

Draw is only good enough for Nigeria.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
I’ll copy what I wrote in the other thread

With Nigeria win this mother ****er better start for next game: Armani, Mercado, Otamendi, Fazio, Tagli, Mascherano, Lo Celso, Messi, Dybala, Di Maria/Pavon, Aguero.

I fully expect Sampaoshit not to start Dybala and Nigeria to beat Argentina.

Reactions: les Habs

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
I’ll copy what I wrote in the other thread

With Nigeria win this mother ****er better start for next game: Armani, Mercado, Otamendi, Fazio, Tagli, Mascherano, Lo Celso, Messi, Dybala, Di Maria/Pavon, Aguero.

I fully expect Sampao**** not to start Dybala and Nigeria to beat Argentina.

I don't know if you saw my post yesterday but if they don't come out with this lineup (or at least start Dybala, Pavon and Lo Celso) I will root for Nigeria. Especially so now that they're still alive....

Reactions: Luigi Habs

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I'm glad there's a chaos group.

I'm in the camp that thinks Croatia will win with their deserves, or at least get a draw, which would destroy Iceland's chances. So, I'll be watching Argentina-Nigeria, which could really go either way. I will be betting on Nigeria to win if the odds are even slightly as enticing as I hope, but that isn't a prediction.

I think Argentina will win and advance.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Dream scenario for entertainment till the end: heading into 5-min extra time in each match, Iceland are leading 1-0 but have had 3 guys sent off for the last 30 mins, and with no subs left, are hanging on for their dear lives. And Argentina are leading 1-0.

So both Argentina and Nigeria need frantically to score or they're both out. And then Croatia and Argentina or Nigeria get a penalty in the 95th minute...

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area

I'm in the camp that thinks Croatia will win with their deserves, or at least get a draw, which would destroy Iceland's chances. So, I'll be watching Argentina-Nigeria, which could really go either way. I will be betting on Nigeria to win if the odds are even slightly as enticing as I hope, but that isn't a prediction.

...just to play France..

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
France should win, but depending upon how Argentina plays, they could figure it out the game before. Like in 2006 with France.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ

Nigeria ML sitting at +561 on my book right now.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I expect Argentina to come out angry blazing to redeem themselves.

Nigeria might be in trouble

If their attackers continue to refuse to do anything in the final third but to stand around & wait for Messi-brilliance, how angry they are won't matter, nor will any lineup changes.

They either need big tactical changes to better structure their midfield; or they need to accept that not having Paredes to start with Lo Celso & Mascherano, means that Leo has to play in the midfield for them and the attackers will have to create a goal for themselves one of these days.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
DAECEEE2-C16F-4475-87E3-492387B7C3A4.jpeg

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
The Argentina players should tell the gaffer to go hit the pub for a few hours and let them take care of the lineup and tactics.

Still can advance to the knockout stage, don’t f*** it up.

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
The second one is good. I can almost believe it's real.
The details are ridiculous, he even has the Messi badge around his neck.:laugh:

So, silly question but would Argentina be allowed to throw piles of money at Chulo to take over Argentina for the rest of the tournament? I know it won't happen but is he contractually able to do this?

Last edited:

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
per Martin Liberman , one of the most famous sportscasters in Argentina who is in Russia right now for Fox Argentina.

-all the talk about any special meetings by the team after the Croatia game are false.
-all the talk about the players asking Sampa to quit are false
-all the talk about Burruchaga coaching are also false

now, after the Nigeria game and team meal, they did have a meeting. The 23 players, the full coaching staff and the AFA president.
To talk about what is going on and what is not working etc.
-the players have indicated to Sampaoli they don't understand what is the plan, and Sampaoli tried to explain his plan.
Liberman goes on to say that the players "assumed their responsibilities" not sure how to best translate that, but essentially says that the players swore to win next game. This is assumed now that Sampaoli is basically going to listen to players and they can play however they feel comfortable.

-Mascherano was the most outspoken in that meeting

Reactions: Luigi Habs

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Obviously the Iceland result matters, but I cannot help but think of the last time Argentina had to win, while playing horrible tactics in the games before that. It was only one year ago and Messi did the carryjob of a lifetime. Ecuador and Nigeria are at about the same level and this was in Ecuador, where they were already down 1-0. Didn't matter, he won the game by himself.

The question is whether or not he can do that again. The difference in this tournament is that he has been used so far away from goal it's basically sickening.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I've been up these mother f***ing steps before with the disappointment in qualifying. Expect Argentina to win and advance but at least France will hopefully f*** them up the next round. And I do feel dirty cheering for a French side but just cannot bring yourself to cheer for a South American side these days can you unless they're a Pervuian type of underdog.

Reactions: robertmac43

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad