World Cup: Group D: Nigeria vs. Argentina, Iceland vs. Croatia, 6/26/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
lol I thought Argentina was out already after the first two games. Shows how much I've been paying attention I guess. Argentina-Portugal or Uruguay in the quarters would be juicy for different reasons.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Yeah early in the game. It was arguable.

I don't think the handball was a handball either. He headed it into his own hand which was a foot away and clearly on accident.

That being said I have no idea how Ighalo missed. It was a perfect chance.

I was expecting the call as well, even if it would've been harsh. I anticipated VAR pulling it back.

Brutal, brutal, brutal miss.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
As the resident Mod, you’ve got to be out of your mind to root for that QF. Haha. The place will meltdown.

That part's true, but you know, we deserve to see these two play a big international game against each other. Nothing against France or Uruguay as I like both these teams, definitely both better than Portugal anyway.

This is owed to us.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
These announcers on TSN heaping praise on Messi, and I just don't understand it. He scored a brilliant goal no doubt, but I lost count of how many times in that second half he lost possession. Saying he was the best player on the pitch is ridiculous. Didn't look like himself at all, and man, this team keeps sneaking through. Credit to Rojo though, that was a gorgeous strike. I can't see them getting through France, but they'll have the pressure to win lifted from them somewhat, as not many will have them beating France. That could work in their favor, going to be a fun game to watch either way.

Yeah, apparently you don't understand it. He had a very good first half. He scored an excellent goal, he forced a save on another excellent effort and put in a nice through ball for somebody too. Second half he wasn't as good and I think he gave the ball away a few times where he shouldn't have. Still without that goal, which few players make, they don't go through. It wasn't the match winner but it was equally as important. Imagine were they down 0-1 in the second half when Nigeria scored. I would also note the ridiculous ESPN coverage from the American contingent (both match commentary and post match) where they said twice that Rojo carried Argentina on his shoulders completely disavowing Messi's goal and contribution.

Credit to Rojo though? So you credit Rojo but don't understand how Messi's performance could be praised? Messi's goal as I said was equally important because again they don't go through without it, and it was a much better goal.

If that had been Ronaldo the performance would be hyped to be at least twice as good as it was. They showed Messi talking to the team at halftime in the tunnel. Had that been Ronaldo the result would have been 99% that team talk.

I'm coming up late to the thread, but has there been an outcry of the total incredible non call of a penalty for the handball?
Imagine if it was the other way around and Argentina wouldn't go through because of a ref mistake?

Not sure which one you're referring to, but there was nothing to call. It was a clumsy play, but he headed it onto his own arm which was in a natural position considering he was going up for a header. It also didn't look intentional. In fact it actually feel very nicely for the Nigerian player as a result. And just moments before one of the Nigerian players controlled the ball purposely to his keeper where I thought he in part used him arm. I'd want to see the play again as I only saw it once, but I recall it looking pretty clear.

Reactions: Luigi Habs

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I also recommend people watch what Sampa did on the sideline in this game and the last one. There is no way he had any impact on the game other than deciding which subs were to come in and at what time. There was nothing resembling managerial organization or motivation. Only the players had any impact at all. In that regard it is easy to see why Banega was inserted into the lineup, it is like putting another coach on the field.

It was a massive, massive contrast to the pacing, almost shirtless man we saw freaking out and over-managing the game against Croatia. Today he just stood there and abandoned his team coming out of the tunnel and went in the locker room right after the game ended.

The goal was also scored by a center half who flew into the box as the furthest forward player. Like there were no tactics at all by that point.

Reactions: Panteras

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Argentina's defence was so disorganized that Nigeria could've probably scored another if they hadn't gone into shell mode.

Also, they did defend well for chunks but left so much room on the wings, far too compact that those Argentine wingers got crosses in with time to spare. Victor Moses was great so good on him I guess. What a predictable result though, I knew those Latin cheats would go through.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Argentina's defence was so disorganized that Nigeria could've probably scored another if they hadn't gone into shell mode.

Also, they did defend well for chunks but left so much room on the wings, far too compact that those Argentine wingers got crosses in with time to spare. Victor Moses was great so good on him I guess. What a predictable result though, I knew those Latin cheats would go through.

They weren't the ones who cheated in this game. Iheanacho rolling around faking that he got kicked in the face was one of the worst moments of this WC. Meanwhile Mascherano kept playing while bleeding all over the place.

Reactions: Luigi Habs

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
It was a massive, massive contrast to the pacing, almost shirtless man we saw freaking out and over-managing the game against Croatia. Today he just stood there and abandoned his team coming out of the tunnel and went in the locker room right after the game ended.

The way he left the field at the end was odd. Didn't celebrate with anyone or didn't seem to shake hands with the Nigerian staff.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The way he left the field at the end was odd. Didn't celebrate with anyone or didn't seem to shake hands with Nigeria staff.

They can't actually fire him due to monetary constraints but the team has done a mutiny on him. I believe that story completely now. They won't fire him, he'll be a passenger until after the Copa or he'll quit, but he's not the coach anymore.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
I also recommend people watch what Sampa did on the sideline in this game and the last one. There is no way he had any impact on the game other than deciding which subs were to come in and at what time. There was nothing resembling managerial organization or motivation. Only the players had any impact at all. In that regard it is easy to see why Banega was inserted into the lineup, it is like putting another coach on the field.

The goal was also scored by a center half who flew into the box as the furthest forward player. Like there were no tactics at all by that point.
Yup pretty much what I said before the game... until the so called Nostradamus of Argentina in these forums said all the news was BS and I would embarrass myself for brining up Banega as proof.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Dybala was garbage last game, let Aguero play

Yes, he should be judged on those 15 minutes when the team was in complete disarray... let Pipita continue to bottle his 1v1's. LOL

Argentina needs to fire Sampaoli regardless of outcome. If, in his own words, Messi is the one who sets up the team then they a)dont need him and b) he is detrimental with his team decisions.

But I dont recall a team ever firing a coach going into the R16

Ah the resident coach with multiple licenses has arrived... fire the coach in midst of a WC campaign. What a smashing idea. I think you should get your money back from those institutions. Was it the Trump university?LOL

Dybala AND Aguero. You have that sort of fire power on the bench during a must win game. It makes me wonder if Messi has problems with thise guys

Yes, he has a problem with Kun... the guy who's been his roommate for each tournament since 2008. His closest friend and the guy that start both games prior to this. Also the Dybala kid for some reason... maybe jealous of his good looks? No problems with Higuain the guy that deprived him of 3 trophies. I repeat my friend get your money back.

Come on Croatia, do us a solid.

Absolutely undeserved for Argentina going into the next round.

They deserved it more than any other team in that group... but you know f*** it.

You're a lunatic.

Yup pretty much what I said before the game... until the so called Nostradamus of Argentina in these forums said all the news was BS and I would embarrass myself for brining up Banega as proof.

See above.

Now bear in mind I have a massive headache and I have busted up my knee during the game. So, I'll try to keep this simple for you.

Banega's inclusion =/= Messi and company coaching the team. There is no correlation, you know why? For one thing at CM he's better than the alternative Biglia/Perez. Lo Celso should start but Banega on his day is a class CM. He showed it today. I still think they're better off with the kid and Banega is overrated by some here but again his inclusion doesn't mean Sampa is out. I have no idea where you even got this notion.

As for LITN's post, it's all speculative. Sampa did at times start running around on the touchline. He was just more reserved today and as he should be. A coach needs to be clam at times. Even Simeone knows that.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
In 10 years, Canada will be able to beat Argentina lol

Yup. Argentina is going to go way way down and Canada is rapidly improving. If we can cap tie some players in the next year or two things will look really good.

The team is Messi. Legitimately. They'll drop 40 spots when he's done. They've already dropped a ton in this World Cup alone.

I didn't think people would take 10 years as an exact either.

Says 10 years but doesn't mean 10 years... We'll be generous and assume 40 years. Still it will not happen.

In 4 years they look to be having a better team on paper.

Do you expect Ryan's, John's and Gary's to be all of sudden soccer mad and forget hockey? Coaching, funding from the youth level to be completely revamped and reshaped? Argentina's D team would wipe the floor with Canada right now. Again, please don't embarrass yourself.

Reactions: John Pedro

TJ21

SURVIVED JIMBOCALYPSE - 12/5/2021
Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
Yeah, apparently you don't understand it. He had a very good first half. He scored an excellent goal, he forced a save on another excellent effort and put in a nice through ball for somebody too. Second half he wasn't as good and I think he gave the ball away a few times where he shouldn't have. Still without that goal, which few players make, they don't go through. It wasn't the match winner but it was equally as important. Imagine were they down 0-1 in the second half when Nigeria scored. I would also note the ridiculous ESPN coverage from the American contingent (both match commentary and post match) where they said twice that Rojo carried Argentina on his shoulders completely disavowing Messi's goal and contribution.

Credit to Rojo though? So you credit Rojo but don't understand how Messi's performance could be praised? Messi's goal as I said was equally important because again they don't go through without it, and it was a much better goal.

If that had been Ronaldo the performance would be hyped to be at least twice as good as it was. They showed Messi talking to the team at halftime in the tunnel. Had that been Ronaldo the result would have been 99% that team talk.

Don't quite know what you're getting at here. There's nothing in my post talking about the first half. Thought it was clear I was referencing his second half performance that the announcers were pointing out was a great half for him, which even yourself pointed out it wasn't. I'm not denying his first half goal wasn't important, so no idea where you got that from.

And yes..? Credit to Rojo? I credited his goal, which was nice, and said nothing about his performance. So again, no idea where you got the sense I was holding him to higher regard than Messi :laugh:

I'm not even going to touch your Ronaldo comments. Ive seen too many "but if it was X player it would be different!" arguments whenever any criticism is brought on toward certain players that it's gotten old, and seems like a silly last resort. Just looks ridiculously defensive for no reason, and I'd be happy to wait for you to show me at any point in my post where I compare Ronaldo to Messi. By all means.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo

936.jpg

Panteras

Sep 14, 2009
See above.

Now bear in mind I have a massive headache and I have busted up my knee during the game. So, I'll try to keep this simple for you.

Banega's inclusion =/= Messi and company coaching the team. There is no correlation, you know why? For one thing at CM he's better than the alternative Biglia/Perez. Lo Celso should start but Banega on his day is a class CM. He showed it today. I still think they're better off with the kid and Banega is overrated by some here but again his inclusion doesn't mean Sampa is out. I have no idea where you even got this notion.

As for LITN's post, it's all speculative. Sampa did at times start running around on the touchline. He was just more reserved today and as he should be. A coach needs to be clam at times. Even Simeone knows that.

Banega only come on as a sub against Iceland, did not play against Croatia. He was not on Sampa's plans. What I'm trying to tell you is literally that Messi asked for him. It was a Messi decision. The notion is talked about by every news outlet close to the Argentinian camp that is there in Russia unlike you...Banega was brought up as starter right after the team meeting when Nigeria beat Iceland..

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Don't quite know what you're getting at here. There's nothing in my post talking about the first half. Thought it was clear I was referencing his second half performance that the announcers were pointing out was a great half for him, which even yourself pointed out it wasn't. I'm not denying his first half goal wasn't important, so no idea where you got that from.

And yes..? Credit to Rojo? I credited his goal, which was nice, and said nothing about his performance. So again, no idea where you got the sense I was holding him to higher regard than Messi :laugh:

I'm not even going to touch your Ronaldo comments. Ive seen too many "but if it was X player it would be different!" arguments whenever any criticism is brought on toward certain players that it's gotten old, and seems like a silly last resort. Just looks ridiculously defensive for no reason, and I'd be happy to wait for you to show me at any point in my post where I compare Ronaldo to Messi. By all means.

LOL, really? For starters you referenced Messi's goal, which happened in the first half. Second, your post said nothing about TSN's commentary referencing only his second half performance. So of course the first half is valid. I can't you'd actually even make the above comment, but I suppose after your initial post I shouldn't be surprised.

This is what you said:

"Saying he was the best player on the pitch is ridiculous. Didn't look like himself at all, and man, this team keeps sneaking through. Credit to Rojo though, that was a gorgeous strike."

Do you not understand the words you're using? I've not even called out your statement that Messi being the best player on the pitch is somehow a ridiculous opinion, though of course it begs the question who was better? Back to the point though, I never said you said that held him in higher regard than Messi. Still what I just quoted above is really telling. You question Messi behind the best player on the ptich and go so far as to say it's ridiculous. On top of that you say "credit to Rojo though."

I wasn't referring specifically to you with the Ronaldo part.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Banega only come on as a sub against Iceland, did not play against Croatia. He was not on Sampa's plans. What I'm trying to tell you is literally that Messi asked for him. It was a Messi decision. The notion is talked about by every news outlet close to the Argentinian camp that is there in Russia unlike you...Banega was brought up as starter right after the team meeting when Nigeria beat Iceland..
Banega wasn't fit and didn't participate in the preparations. It's quite clear Lo Celso was the placeholder sadly. But again please tell more about the team where I haven't missed a match from the past decade+.

Enzo Perez went from not making the team being an emergency call up to starting 2 straight games... Messi pick as well? And his closest friend what about him?

So, yeah please do continue with this narrative it's quite comical.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Argentina, your next coach just finished up with Peru today. I think Gareca would do wonders for them.
Should Messi pay him to? I beginning to think all those years evading taxes was in order to pay for the AFA. God bless him. He was aware of it the whole time and did for his country. Playing chess while everyones playing checkers.

Panteras

Sep 14, 2009
Banega wasn't fit and didn't participate in the preparations. It's quite clear Lo Celso was the placeholder sadly. But again please tell more about the team where I haven't missed a match from the past decade+.

Enzo Perez went from not making the team being an emergency call up to starting 2 straight games... Messi pick as well? And his closest friend what about him?

So, yeah please do continue with this narrative it's quite comical.

exactly and that's why Banega was not in Sampa's plans. I don't care about Enzo Perez, I never talked about anyone other than specifically specifically Banega, again ..literally..Messi asked for him to start because he likes playing for him. Everyone's reported it that Messi asked for this.
Also it was Beccacece who put Aguero in. Sampa didn't even look at him much less talk to him.
It was the same at the press conference.
I don't care how long you've watched or how much you know about the team, it's obvious you're still clueless or thick headed and don't want to admit there is an obvious situation in the team where there's tension and Sampa does not have 100% full control of staff and players. Did you see the post match conference? Sampa and Messi didn't even look at each other.
Similarly other posters have voiced the same thing, the body language tells it all.

So things we even fans through videos can see + reports from various analysts/news outlets etc including ones close to the Argentina camp are validating this...but no, you're stance is COMPLETE BS, why? Because I'm a know it all I've watched Argentina for 10 years lol you sound like a stubborn kid. Suit yourself I could care less if Argentina crash out of this WC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->