Euro: Group C: Germany vs. Poland, 6/16/2016

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Mario G is gonna get a lot of **** for his play unless he scores probably but not his fault he's being used as basically a target striker. That won't work, he's useful behind an actual striker.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Ozil and Goetze again ineffective. You wonder if a light will ever go on in Jogi's head regarding Goetze as a forward..

I'm sure Götze can be a good striker..... if you feed him low balls, which isn't happening. I'm sure if you pull him ten meters back and play without a striker, he'd be more effective.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I don't think Goetze in any scenario can be a stiker going up vs two central defenders twice his size, he doesn't even have the pace to be a counter attacking open space striker.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Yeah this Gotze experiment is a fail, Kroos and Khedira the only two non-defenders doing their job so far.

Also, all the Polish attacks coming against Germany's right side.....if Schweini and Lahm were still around then they'd be having none of that.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
No, but he can dribble. He's not going to outmuscle anyone.

A small dribbler like him is basically born to play behind a striker who opens space for him. I don't know if Loew really thinks he has the same ability as Messi (which is delusional) or if he simply can't stand the idea of having been proven wrong, who knows, either way it renders Germany's attack toothless.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
I'm not really unhappy with this first half. Decent control moving back. Offensively, the last pass has been missing, or the finish off half-chances have been weak (Kroos sliding shot, Khedira's volley). But I think the way the game's been going is going to give us a decent chance to win this.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
No, but he can dribble. He's not going to outmuscle anyone.

Fine, but that doesn't really make him suited as a striker. He isn't effective when playing with his back to the goal. Play him as a midfielder (for the anonymous Draxler for example) or not at all. But he really doesn't offer much as a striker.

Just Win

Nov 3, 2008
Stuttgart
Put Gomez in already or move Müller to striker and bring in Sane as right winger. Götze up front is not working in this setup.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
A small dribbler like him is basically born to play behind a striker who opens space for him. I don't know if Loew really thinks he has the same ability as Messi (which is delusional) or if he simply can't stand the idea of having been proven wrong, who knows, either way it renders Germany's attack toothless.

Agreed.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
How about Oezil is the one that is blamed? He's playing in his best position, and has been ineffective for the second straight game.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
Put Gomez in already or move Müller to striker and bring in Sane as right winger. Götze up front is not working in this setup.

Gomez might be Löw's last solution, so Müller might be a realistic option.

Our defence is way better that against Ukraine.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
How about Oezil is the one that is blamed? He's playing in his best position, and has been ineffective for the second straight game.

Yeah, he's most disappointing to me, again. Whatever development he's gone through at Arsenal, it hasn't translated to the Nationalmannschaft. Still old him.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Gomez might be Löw's last solution, so Müller might be a realistic option.

Poland aren't playing well at all going forward, that helps. In reality it's actually embarrassing Germany haven't created any meaningful shot on target given Poland's level of play.

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007

A lot of that is because of Kroos and Khedira playing much more conservatively - just like they did in the 2nd half of the Ukraine game. On the other hand that inhibits their offense. I'd still prefer to add a true holding midfielder shielding the defense so that those two can be more adventurous again. Just sub off Götze or Özil, they are far too anonymous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad