GDT: Group B - May 4 - USA vs Canada

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Hmm, so it's totally different from the nhl. Never mind

I can never find a website that actually posts stats.... haha

I have the same problem!

I would say so. He has two 60 point seasons with edm and one 50 point season. He also played with an 80 point centre, which outside of mcdavid, we never lined him up with.

Strome also had what looks like an average season by his previous production. Both players didn't really step outside of their standard levels of play, imo. I'm not a huge Strome fan, but if he can be a 3rd lie centre at 40-50 points I don't really see a reason to laugh about the trade.

You wanna laugh about hall/larsson go ahead. Hall is a hart candidate. Eberle is what we thought he was....

The US "was who we thought they were....and we let'em off the hook"
- Dennis Green

Not to take this thread off track, but Eberle was nothing like what many Edmonton fans were proclaiming on the main boards. Almost all Islanders fans were pleasantly surprised by his play all year due to how badly he was criticized before leaving Edmonton. It's possible something switched for him and I admittedly didn't watch a ton of him in Edmonton, but he's definitely better than his reputation and was better than anything we ever got from Strome.

I still like Strome and hope it works out for him, but there isn't a single Islanders fan I know who would have preferred to keep Strome instead of getting Eberle at this point.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
I have the same problem!

Not to take this thread off track, but Eberle was nothing like what many Edmonton fans were proclaiming on the main boards. Almost all Islanders fans were pleasantly surprised by his play all year due to how badly he was criticized before leaving Edmonton. It's possible something switched for him and I admittedly didn't watch a ton of him in Edmonton, but he's definitely better than his reputation and was better than anything we ever got from Strome.

I still like Strome and hope it works out for him, but there isn't a single Islanders fan I know who would have preferred to keep Strome instead of getting Eberle at this point.
What were Oiler fans saying about Eberle that isn't true?

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
This was supposed to be a cakewalk for Canada so anything is possible!

It kinda was, Canada put up 44 shots with ease, heavily outshooting the US. Only reason Canada didn't win this was because of the horrendous goalies we have this year.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
What were Oiler fans saying about Eberle that isn't true?

That he was soft and lazy. I didn't really see much of that this season at all. That's not to say he's a Selke candidate or anything, but he wasn't soft or lazy.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
we just beat the best team playing like ****...yeah, not a stretch anymore lol

Lol ok man. You won because one goalie was terrible and one was great in a shootout without Canadas best player able to shoot. No way Kuemper plays much after that performance.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
That he was soft and lazy. I didn't really see much of that this season at all. That's not to say he's a Selke candidate or anything, but he wasn't soft or lazy.

There are lots of dinosaur Oilers fans that think if you don't play like prime Lucic you are soft. Eberle was lazy and he was a poor defensive player in Edmonton(at least for the last few seasons) but he's not soft and he certainly isn't a perimeter player which is the other random and obviously false criticism I hear somewhat often.

FWIW I think Strome is a little bit better than you guys advertised as well. He's not Eberle but he was a valuable contributor once he settled in. Also a pretty good penalty killer apparently.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Lol ok man. You won because one goalie was terrible and one was great in a shootout without Canadas best player able to shoot. No way Kuemper plays much after that performance.

You're right. Time for Curtis McElhinney!

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
lol, you lost....how on Earth can you say this stuff???

It was a cakewalk because even though Canada played poorly we still peppered your goal with 44 shots, and potted 4 goals. Imagine if Canada actually showed up today.

If you've ever followed international hockey you will notice that pretty much every Team Canada puts north of 40 shots on goal a game, heavily outshooting our opponents.

For a country to beat Canada 9/10 its a case of their goalie putting on a show, which is what Kinkaid did today, nothing more nothing less. I wouldn't look too far into this win for the US.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
What's your definition of soft? Eberle is one of the softest former Oilers in recent memory. He can also be very lazy, look at last years playoffs for example.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
What's your definition of soft? Eberle is one of the softest former Oilers in recent memory. He can also be very lazy, look at last years playoffs for example.

Same story from some Oiler fans. When a player is playing on your team they are great once they are gone they arent. Its pretty tiring. Eberle is not what you described, I dont think he wanted to be in Edmonton much longer I believe there is some documentation of this. I personally think the big problem is Mclellan players dont seem to perform to the maximum of their capabilities.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Better to get out 1st loss of the tournament out of the way early on. I think most would agree this edition of TC wasn't going to go undefeated. Makes me that much more confident of beating the US if we need to play them a second time.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Same story from some Oiler fans. When a player is playing on your team they are great once they are gone they arent. Its pretty tiring. Eberle is not what you described, I dont think he wanted to be in Edmonton much longer I believe there is some documentation of this. I personally think the big problem is Mclellan players dont seem to perform to the maximum of their capabilities.
You believe Eberle was well liked in Edmonton during his final year? You don't think a lot of us wanted him gone?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad