GDT: Group B - May 4 - USA vs Canada

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You believe Eberle was well liked in Edmonton during his final year? You don't think a lot of us wanted him gone?

Not sure what this means. I dont really care what a few fans thought of the player when he wanted out of the organization. He is a very skilled, scorer and that didnt change over night.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Not sure what this means. I dont really care what a few fans thought of the player when he wanted out of the organization. He is a very skilled, scorer and that didnt change over night.
"When a player is playing on your team they are great once they are gone they arent. Its pretty tiring" you literally just said this.

Solid backpeddle

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
"When a player is playing on your team they are great once they are gone they arent. Its pretty tiring" you literally just said this.

Solid backpeddle

Backpeddle? You are suggesting the player is no good. He is good, you're just bitter because he didnt work out for your team which honestly I feel bad for Oiler fans. Its brutal how management has handled all these young talented players and sucks for the fans because it is out of your control.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
There are lots of dinosaur Oilers fans that think if you don't play like prime Lucic you are soft. Eberle was lazy and he was a poor defensive player in Edmonton(at least for the last few seasons) but he's not soft and he certainly isn't a perimeter player which is the other random and obviously false criticism I hear somewhat often.

FWIW I think Strome is a little bit better than you guys advertised as well. He's not Eberle but he was a valuable contributor once he settled in. Also a pretty good penalty killer apparently.

I personally figured Strome needed a change of scenery and a different coach. Can't recall a time when he was used on the PK with any regularity, so that's a shining example of misuse on the Isles end if that's the case.

What's your definition of soft? Eberle is one of the softest former Oilers in recent memory. He can also be very lazy, look at last years playoffs for example.

I'm not really interested in re-hashing the whole Eberle vs Strome thing in this thread, just wanted to point out that Islanders fans were very pleased with the season he had.

Same story from some Oiler fans. When a player is playing on your team they are great once they are gone they arent. Its pretty tiring. Eberle is not what you described, I dont think he wanted to be in Edmonton much longer I believe there is some documentation of this. I personally think the big problem is Mclellan players dont seem to perform to the maximum of their capabilities.

Yep, both teams suffer(ed) from this immensely. Change of scenery for some guys is a good thing. If both teams have a fan base that's happy, then it was a good deal.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Backpeddle? You are suggesting the player is no good. He is good, you're just bitter because he didnt work out for your team which honestly I feel bad for Oiler fans. Its brutal how management has handled all these young talented players and sucks for the fans because it is out of your control.
Not bitter at all. Trust me, majority of Oiler fans don't miss Eberle. Hall, that's a different story for the majority.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Dude, Canada played like s*** to and still outshot the US by almost 20.

America will not win the tourney, I can guarantee you that.

Btw please don't pretend Johnson is some impact forward that will be getting added :laugh:

Fell free to quote me in a couple weeks
Good ol Canadian boy from Manitoba thinks USA won't win gold, more at 11.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
I edited it to say what you actually said, sorry.

Canada is falling off bruh, look at the top 10 prospects for the draft :sarcasm:
Canada is no where near falling off. Being in the top 10 of a draft doesn’t guarantee NHL success.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Jeez..... Pretty sub par analysis....by you...yep..... I figured I could go on the IIHF forum and not see people taking a **** on my NHL team....guess I was wrong.

Look at their previous point totals. Strome is exactly where he's always been, so is eberle. Stop trying to make it sound like eberle scored 80 points and carried the Isles. The trade is not that lopsided. I'd argue the hamonic trade is 5x worse, but it's not really relevant on a forum that has nothing to do with the NHL.

What NHL are you following? Strome PEAKED his FIRST FULL YEAR. Sub-par? Wouldn't trust you to manage my investments, that's for sure.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Now there's an honest man! - Woody Harrelson in White Men Can't Jump . . .

A frustrated man more like.

I suffered through a decade of rooting for the leagues biggest laughing stock only to watch a new GM throw away almost everything I suffered to gain in 3 trades.

I'm sure NYI fans can relate.

Reactions: PK Cronin

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
A frustrated man more like.

I suffered through a decade of rooting for the leagues biggest laughing stock only to watch a new GM throw away almost everything I suffered to gain in 3 trades.

I'm sure NYI fans can relate.

Suffering? Nah, you must have us confused with some other franchise that hasn't been relevant in nearly 30 years...

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
It kinda was, Canada put up 44 shots with ease, heavily outshooting the US. Only reason Canada didn't win this was because of the horrendous goalies we have this year.
Cakewalk of a loss. Bruce "the better team didn't win" Boudreau, is that you?

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
I have the same problem!

Not to take this thread off track, but Eberle was nothing like what many Edmonton fans were proclaiming on the main boards. Almost all Islanders fans were pleasantly surprised by his play all year due to how badly he was criticized before leaving Edmonton. It's possible something switched for him and I admittedly didn't watch a ton of him in Edmonton, but he's definitely better than his reputation and was better than anything we ever got from Strome.

I still like Strome and hope it works out for him, but there isn't a single Islanders fan I know who would have preferred to keep Strome instead of getting Eberle at this point.

And that's fair. Eberles faults were somewhat overstated, as is always the case with the red headed step child. Strome is what he is, and he's a nice piece if we do move RNH to the top line wing (also cheaper). I just find it silly and lazy to look at the Eberles points and Stromes points and say we totally lost the trade on value. They both produced exactly as they have in the past. Eberle didn't mesh with 97, so he got punted. I have a jersey with his name on it so I'm by no means an Eberle hater, but I've accepted the trade for what it was.

Now if we dump RNH for spart parts I'm going to be pissed. I like where he is at with his game.

Reactions: PK Cronin

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
There are lots of dinosaur Oilers fans that think if you don't play like prime Lucic you are soft. Eberle was lazy and he was a poor defensive player in Edmonton(at least for the last few seasons) but he's not soft and he certainly isn't a perimeter player which is the other random and obviously false criticism I hear somewhat often.

FWIW I think Strome is a little bit better than you guys advertised as well. He's not Eberle but he was a valuable contributor once he settled in. Also a pretty good penalty killer apparently.

Dinosaur fans. Haha, they fit right in with our dinosaur management. We should offer them a job....

Reactions: oXo Cube

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad