GDT: Group B - May 19 - Switzerland vs Russia

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
like Chimp said earlier in the thread, back to back games for the Swiss... they put up a good fight yesterday vs a contender and a good fight today vs a contender
this tournament definitely hasn't disappointed... only getting more intense as it goes on

ranndino

Jan 18, 2008
Boston, MA
Is this the best Russia world's team in a very long time? They're very impressive not just on paper but playing with so much intensity and team play. None of the individualism that plagued them for many years after a lot of their players joined the NHL. Really good combination hockey in the old Russian traditions and super fun to watch.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Well that's that, not the quality of game I was hoping for but it was a clean win for Russia,credit where credit is due, they look pretty damn good.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Is this the best Russia world's team in a very long time? They're very impressive not just on paper but playing with so much intensity and team play. None of the individualism that plagued them for many years after a lot of their players joined the NHL. Really good combination hockey in the old Russian traditions and super fun to watch.

Looks like, great scorers, also a good defensive effort, two great goalkeepers. I don't see a team who can really compete at the same level.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
It was a good game !!

Russia stacked and very intense !
(first time i saw them like that !! realy volutary and serious )
I love them ... but not today :)

And we, Swiss, didn't play that well but still ok. Obviously we don't have Russia's talent ... But we are in QF and all is permited.

Room for improvement.

And for our young guys coming from the NLA ...good they experience how it is to play Ovechkin, Kovalchuk or Orlov !! next game will be approached differently thant we approached it on the 1st tier.

teaching between yesterday and today for the Swiss : We are not favorite, but if we bring our A game, we can beat anyone over 1 game.

Antonglk

Dec 28, 2012
Moscow, Russia
It was a good game !!

teaching between yesterday and today for the Swiss : We are not favorite, but if we bring our A game, we can beat anyone over 1 game.

Swiss now at that position when top teams don't look at Swiss as at outsiders. So every top team well prepared. That is well deserved place for Swiss, but require now more effort to win the games. Anyway, I agree very good game from both sides.

Reactions: REM17

ranndino

Jan 18, 2008
Boston, MA
Looks like, great scorers, also a good defensive effort, two great goalkeepers. I don't see a team who can really compete at the same level.

Yeah, even the 3rd goalie, Georgiev, is not too shabby. This was his second game & he's yet to allow a goal.

The understanding between Kucherov & Gusev is telepathic. Would be cool to see them on the same NHL team some day.

The biggest change is the attitude. None of that laze faire style they used to be known for. Canadin-like intensity. Very professional. Clearly came here with an intent to win.

On the other hand, Canada looks weaker than usual this year. USA is looking better & better with every game & Sweden is always strong. Those 3 look like the favorites to me now. Having said that can never discount Canada. They often take a while to get going & gell by the knockout round.

ranndino

Jan 18, 2008
Boston, MA
It was a good game !!

Russia stacked and very intense !
(first time i saw them like that !! realy volutary and serious )
I love them ... but not today :)

And we, Swiss, didn't play that well but still ok. Obviously we don't have Russia's talent ... But we are in QF and all is permited.

Room for improvement.

And for our young guys coming from the NLA ...good they experience how it is to play Ovechkin, Kovalchuk or Orlov !! next game will be approached differently thant we approached it on the 1st tier.

You guys have nothing to be ashamed of. Used to be an easy 3 points for everyone at the top level but improved so much over the past 10-15 years. Lots of players in the NHL now. Super impressed by the Swiss program.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Yeah, even the 3rd goalie, Georgiev, is not too shabby. This was his second game & he's yet to allow a goal.

The understanding between Kucherov & Gusev is telepathic. Would be cool to see them on the same NHL team some day.

The biggest change is the attitude. None of that laze faire style they used to be known for. Canadin-like intensity. Very professional. Clearly came here with an intent to win.

On the other hand, Canada looks weaker than usual this year. USA is looking better & better with every game & Sweden is always strong. Those 3 look like the favorites to me now. Having said that can never discount Canada. They often take a while to get going & gell by the knockout round.
I don't know what games you have been watching. There are some very knowledgeable team U.S posters on the U.S board who would beg to differ with this statement.

They've been very passive and unimpressive as a team for the most part and today was no better really.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
I am very dissapointed with Russia. Expected much bigger win from them. Poor...

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

You can't call this team the best, while it's just the only line, that scores all goals.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Because it was obvously wrong !

They are talented and damn intense !!

And because of that they should win it more. They have almost all their NHL-ers, while Swiss has like 2 NHL-ers (which matters something in NHL). Russia should have CCCP-ed Swiss.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Georgiev truly developed into an elite goalie. He’s gotta be Rangers #1 from now on. He was very impressive.

Btw, what’s the record for goals allowed in round robin ? Russia has 3 in 6 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad