GDT: Group B - May 19 - Switzerland vs Russia

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
There are 0 russians on Team Latvia.

We dominated Russia in the 3rd period and Russia scored 2 of their goals due to miscalled penalties, and we missed 10 minutes of powerplay. And yet the score was still just 1-3. So we definitely had a chance.

The odds on Russia after the 1st period were 1.40, with the implied probability of a draw or a Latvian win to be near 30% according to bookmakers.
You are biased and you are what? Lying? I know Elvis is not a very russian name, but I know a whole lot of "Latvians" with the name Merzlikin here in Russia. And there are otherwise 7-8 players on the Latvian team who have those non-latvian names, so they could be the agents of evil. Point being stop looking for weird conspiracies. They are latvian hockey players, just like refs with whatever ethic roots are just refs. Did you know the evil Russia has it's agents with the czhech and swiss teams. Jashkin and Kurashev will fix games for us:sarcasm: It was also a diversion to not let Barkov participate for the Finns:laugh:

And to the main problem with your post. I know you are a fan, but at least try to be objective. Latvia has not dominated play in the game against Russia in any period. Russia also had a game against the Swiss the next day who objectively have a stronger team in this tournament. Russia wasn't coasting like against Italy for sure, but if you believe they played at 100% against Latvia you are mistaken. They could have put the foit on the pedal easily if need be. You could see it well against Switzerland. That was the first game when Russia went the pace for 60 minutes.

I understand the ambition, but in this group Latvia is obviously the 5th sttongest team BEHIND the Swiss. To make the QF Latvia would have to somehow be better than them and it's tough, because the Swiss are really, really good this time. They gave Sweden all they could handle and despite the result as I wrote Russia had to go really hard against them and it wasn't an easy win by any measure.

So stop looking for refs conspiracies. There are bunches of calls that go against Russia every game too, bad calls. Also in the game against Latvia. Now what?

Latvia 1 - Switzerland 3. That was the turning point of the tournament for Latvia. That was the game that decided which team joins the top 4 in the group.

Reactions: ranndino

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
You are biased and you are what? Lying? I know Elvis is not a very russian name, but I know a whole lot of "Latvians" with the name Merzlikin here in Russia. And there are otherwise 7-8 players on the Latvian team who have those non-latvian names, so they could be the agents of evil. Point being stop looking for weird conspiracies. They are latvian hockey players, just like refs with whatever ethic roots are just refs. Did you know the evil Russia has it's agents with the czhech and swiss teams. Jashkin and Kurashev will fix games for us:sarcasm: It was also a diversion to not let Barkov participate for the Finns:laugh:

And to the main problem with your post. I know you are a fan, but at least try to be objective. Latvia has not dominated play in the game against Russia in any period. Russia also had a game against the Swiss the next day who objectively have a stronger team in this tournament. Russia wasn't coasting like against Italy for sure, but if you believe they played at 100% against Latvia you are mistaken. They could have put the foit on the pedal easily if need be. You could see it well against Switzerland. That was the first game when Russia went the pace for 60 minutes.

I understand the ambition, but in this group Latvia is obviously the 5th sttongest team BEHIND the Swiss. To make the QF Latvia would have to somehow be better than them and it's tough, because the Swiss are really, really good this time. They gave Sweden all they could handle and despite the result as I wrote Russia had to go really hard against them and it wasn't an easy win by any measure.

So stop looking for refs conspiracies. There are bunches of calls that go against Russia every game too, bad calls. Also in the game against Latvia. Now what?

Latvia 1 - Switzerland 3. That was the turning point of the tournament for Latvia. That was the game that decided which team joins the top 4 in the group.
Elvis is Latvian. His mother is Latvian, his father died when he was a kid. His native language is Latvian. How is he Russian again? There are plenty of Polish sounding names as well - Cibulskis, Balinskis. They're not Polish too. Freibergs isn't German.

There are no Russians on our team.

Blueger is Ukrainian Jewish/Latvian. Kulda might have a Russian father, but he speaks Latvian. I don't know his family history. No one else has mixed heritage, as far as I know.

To accuse me of lying just tells everything about you and your preconceived opinions.

I know that Russian irridentism and the tendency to rewrite history is mainstream, but get a hold of yourself. You're seeing russians everywhere.

And there are no conspiracy theories here. Just facts.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Elvis is Latvian. His mother is Latvian, his father died when he was a kid. His native language is Latvian. How is he Russian again? There are plenty of Polish sounding names as well - Cibulskis, Balinskis. They're not Polish too. Freibergs isn't German.

There are no Russians on our team.

Blueger is Ukrainian Jewish/Latvian. Kulda might have a Russian father, but he speaks Latvian. I don't know his family history. No one else has mixed heritage, as far as I know.

To accuse me of lying just tells everything about you and your preconceived opinions.

I know that Russian irridentism and the tendency to rewrite history is mainstream, but get a hold of yourself. You're seeing russians everywhere.

And there are no conspiracy theories here. Just facts.
LOL you racial obsessions are so absurd.

Again. Barkov is 100% russian, yet he is a finnish citizen who plays for Finnland. What of it?

YOU started it by claiming the ethnic roots of a ref had influence on the outcome of a hockey game. Now you are telling me about rewriting history and whatnot? Look in the mirror.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
LOL you racial obsessions are so absurd.

Again. Barkov is 100% russian, yet he is a finnish citizen who plays for Finnland. What of it?

YOU started it by claiming the ethnic roots of a ref had influence on the outcome of a hockey game. Now you are telling me about rewriting history and whatnot? Look in the mirror.
Barkov was born in Finland. He plays for his country.

Maksim Sidorenko was born in Russia. His father is a well known Russian coach. Maksim refers to Russia as his home in interviews. He works and lives in Russia.

There is no conspiracy in assuming that his on-ice officiating in games involving Russia might be biased. It might not even be a conscious process, that's how our mind works.

It's got nothing to do with race.

How hard it can be for you to grasp that?

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019

Maksim Sidorenko was born in Russia. His father is a well known Russian coach. Maksim refers to Russia as his home in interviews. He works and lives in Russia.

There is no conspiracy in assuming that his on-ice officiating in games involving Russia might be biased. It might not even be a conscious process, that's how our mind works.

It's got nothing to do with race.

How hard it can be for you to grasp that?

And Georgyev was born in Bulgaria, knew it has no future for his Hockey career there so he let himself convinced to take Russian citizenship.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
And Georgyev was born in Bulgaria, knew it has no future for his Hockey career there so he let himself convinced to take Russian citizenship.
Right. Good for him. If he was playing against Bulgaria in a deciding game, he would probably feel a bit queasy.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
You claimed I was seeing "russians" everywhere, now you come up with the puny story of who went where to school. Again, find a mirror.

We had so much latvian influence on our national team lately. That subconcious bias was probably meesing up with their decisions big time:sarcasm: Just stop embarassing yourself.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
You sound like he got naturalized but he’s half Russian so he’s entitled to the citizenship

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
You claimed I was seeing "russians" everywhere, now you come up with the puny story of who went where to school. Again, find a mirror.

We had so much latvian influence on our national team lately. That subconcious bias was probably meesing up with their decisions big time:sarcasm: Just stop embarassing yourself.
You said there were russians on Team Latvia. And then you went on to accuse me of lying by saying there are 8 mythical russians playing for us, which is the weirdest thing I've heard in a while. Where are they?

Well, sure, your national team had a Latvian coach for years and we actually taught you to play hockey before WWII, but that's just us bringing knowledge, it's got nothing to do with bias. There are Latvian GMs and coaches not just in Russia, but also China, Uzbekistan.

We don't mind spreading the great teachings of hockey to nations lacking in tradition and expertise.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
wat? he lived in moscow since he was one year old and his mother is russian. what a load of crap you are spewing.

Last edited:

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017

Nationality does not depend on the place of birth or place of work. You mixed it up with a citizenship. Which is also a rare requirement these days. A person's nationality is defined by his/her parents nationalities. Both Barkov's parents are Russians. So it does not matter where he was born. He would be Russian even if he would not speak a word of Russian, never been to Russia and did have a Russian citizenship. It's that simple. He is 100% Russian. He is zero % Finn.

Last edited:

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Nationality does not depend on the place of birth or place of work. You mixed it up with a citizenship. Which is also a rare requirement these days. A person's nationality is defined by his/her parents nationalities. Both Barkov's parents are Russians. So it does not matter where he was born. He would be Russian even if he would not speak a word of Russian, never been to Russia and did have a Russian citizenship. It's that simple. He is 100% Russian. He is zero % Finn.
Nationality is literally a legal term and it basically means the same thing as citizenship in English.

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
Nationality is literally a legal term and it basically means the same thing as citizenship in English.
Well, you should check the second meaning. Since it is also means ethnicity and race.
It is especially funny that you pretended you don't know it. Despite the fact that like 60% of Riga speaks Russian. And in Russian language its a first meaning.

Last edited:

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Ethnicity is the group of people you are part of geneticaly

Nationality is the country you are from. Nationalities can be by right of blood (Switzerland) or by right of place of birth (USA) or both ... ! and you can get it if you live more than x years ... (various conditions various countries.)

Citizen can be the country you come from (as nationality, not as genetical lineage) or the country you live in even that you are not of this nationality (a foreigner living in a country)

Good luck to you guys !! the day you will understand that Russia has melanged so much !! diaspora has been extreme in Russia and in all the ex-eastern block and that at the end you are pretty close to each other even if you are not of the same ethnicity.

And realize also that , the culture of hockey was such in pre-perestroika Russian block (all eastern countries) that wheter you want it or not, it helped hockey develop in each of these countries. Inlcluding Czechia (who was Czechoslovakia) , Latvia, Belarus, .... !! So good luck to you. Mir :)

Reactions: ranndino and enj92

ranndino

Jan 18, 2008
Boston, MA
And because of that they should win it more. They have almost all their NHL-ers, while Swiss has like 2 NHL-ers (which matters something in NHL). Russia should have CCCP-ed Swiss.
First of all they have 6 NHLers & some very good ones. Also, a number of NHLers isn't the only way to judge a team. This Swiss team is a very good team.

Reactions: pukovnik

ranndino

Jan 18, 2008
Boston, MA
This whole argument is silly. I'm Latvian and I didn't think there was any bias. Latvia played well but lost to a superior team. They've actually played well against everyone but came up just short for making the quarterfinals. Nothing to be ashamed of. I really enjoyed how hard they played. Gave a tough game to every team, including those loaded with NHL stars.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad