GDT: Group B • Dec. 31 • Canada 5, Sweden 6 (SO) • Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magicman

Mar 18, 2008
First i think of is not Luleå nothing against Luleå they are great this year this Swedes team remind me how Detroit Red Wings build there teams.

Speed skill all 4 line can produce a great D:yo:

They built their early cup winners through the fall of the Iron Curtain.

Had the young Commies been available when they were draft age, Fedorov is top 3 probably #1, no way he is a 6th round pick or whatever late round he was in.

The others drafted late as well.

Lidstrom was a great pick, but talk at the time was he had no interest in the NHL due to system in place at the time. He could have stayed and made more money at home. But watching Detroit win the cup and seeing/hearing how good the players were treated in Detroit, he signed.

Like drafting players the Comies wouldn't allow to come over, they took a chance. And lets face facts that late in the draft is any pick a waste?

Then it took Bowman to come in, put Yzerman in his place, bring in Murphy and Coffey and then they gelled.

Without that, Detroit is still a ****-Hole

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Overall, I say that Sweden played better than Canada today.

Lehner gave up a bad goal to Howden off the rush on the 2-2 goal. Got unlucky 2 goals with both Hamilton goals, one bad bounce off the glass and the other that goes off his skate an in. But, he came up big in the end.

Roy was shaky in the game. Gave up several rebounds on easy shots. Rebounds are ok if you can get them to your D to clear out, but the rebounds went to the Swedes. Roy also was beaten high when the went down early into his butterfly.

Cameron, when he picked the team, wanted his D to keep it simple, off the glass and out type of guys. That may cost him later, because if Ellis went down, the team would be in bad shape on the blueline in terms of mobility.

Overall, the loss isn't a terrible thing. The other pool, will see the USA, Finland, and the Swiss advance. So, Canada will get one of those teams.

Tavaresmagicalplay*

Canada has more players to choose from.

And in USA there are many sports that attracts more athletes than hockey, in Canada that's pretty much all they've got.

And I included Sweden to show you that it's possible to beat Canada despite them having more than 800% more players registered.

30 million vs 300 million. Both programs are on par right now don't fool yourself.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Was expecting something like that lol. Sweden has lots of great music that isn't in any way near ABBA, but people are stuck on that for some reason. Time for a hateful music discussion.

Sweden is a world power when it comes to music aswell. Third largest exporter after US and GB/UK.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
Nordic
Thats not true at all in terms of hockey and thats it below is all offered in canada.

Curling
Soccer
Football
Rugby
Baseball
Volleyball
Field Hockey
Lacrosse (Box)
Lacrose (Field)
Basketball

Thats just a short list and soccer is getting bigger and bigger.

Moridin

Apr 8, 2007
Lidstrom was a great pick, but talk at the time was he had no interest in the NHL due to system in place at the time. He could have stayed and made more money at home. But watching Detroit win the cup and seeing/hearing how good the players were treated in Detroit, he signed.

Ehhh... Please don't post again before you learn anything about icehockey.

Lidström was not even BORN the last time Detroit won the cup before he joined the team.

1) Detroit won their last pre-lidström cup in 1955
2) He was drafted in 1989, 3rd round.
3) He joined the NHL extremely early for a swedish player, in the 91-92 season.
4) They won the cup in his 6th season in NHL, after scoring scoring over 300 points in the regular season.

Magicman

Mar 18, 2008
Nordic
Thats not true at all in terms of hockey and thats it below is all offered in canada.

Curling
Soccer
Football
Rugby
Baseball
Volleyball
Field Hockey
Lacrosse (Box)
Lacrose (Field)
Basketball

Thats just a short list and soccer is getting bigger and bigger.

Understand that Lacrosse is the National sport of Canada, not Hockey.

But, clearly the 3 top three in Canada are as follows, and order depends on what time of day

Playing Hockey
Drinking Beer
Having Sex

The rest are activities you do while not doing any of the above.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
congrats to Sweden on winning the game.

i don't know why people are saying this is an upset.it's not like Canada lost to Norway.

Sweden has always been a great hockey country ever since i can remember.

maybe we as Canadians expect to win but you have to play the games to determine a winner . :nod:

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
congrats to Sweden on winning the game.

i don't know why people are saying this is an upset.it's not like Canada lost to Norway.

Sweden has always been a great hockey country ever since i can remember.

maybe we as Canadians expect to win but you have to play the games to determine a winner . :nod:

You have to remember that Canada always wins. even when they don't win they always win. Even if Sweden were to win gold this tourne, Canada is still number one in the Canadians own mind.

SurMartin

Jul 26, 2010
København/Skellefteå
He's sloppy, slow and plays with no passion at all. I was glad to see him getting crushed in the first period. Was hoping for him to wake the **** up, but he didn't..
Well, the shift after getting pushed into the net Larsson skated into the offensive zone, got the puck from one of the opposing defenders and almost scored single-handedly. This, (together with that post about the wrong Erixon) leads me to belive that you sometimes do not think before you post..
That is to say, he was too passive on the 4-4 equalizer and really shouldn't have taken that penalty in the third, pretty invisible after that. Still, he had an ok game. Lot's of good plays, good passes on the breakout and some nice shots from the blue. Good in the first, ok in the second, bad in the third. (Hmm.. well in a way he was not ok, as Larsson should be great the whole game..)

Nemeth was the best defenceman on team sweden today, followed by Erixon. They must have played like 80% of the last 5 minutes + OT..
I'm in love with Cehlin. Just thought I'd get it out there.
Predators have themselves another "mattias ekholm"-surprise.
And Friberg will play in SEL next year.

Lindberg is a sneaky shootout master.. Lander = CAPTAIN!!! :yo:
This is what you get Canada for scoring in just the second the new year started in sweden! Annoying like hell!
Happy new years btw! Beer is good..
Seconded.

Last edited:

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
After the group stage I'd say Russia was the most dangerous opponent so far. Lucky bounces and crappy goals kept Canada in this game. Sweden was clearly better at everything but goaltending. I wouldn't count Russia out at all. Think they could be able to snatch a victory aginst the NA teams.

Exalted User
Dec 14, 2010
Babylon
I studied this crap. Quick hits from Wiki
As part of the Paris Peace Treaty, Finland was classified as a belligerent and fascist power. The Soviet Union imposed heavy war reparations on Finland and took the Porkkala area near the Finnish capital Helsinki as a military base. The reparations were initially thought to be crippling for the economy, but a determined effort was made to pay them. They were actually paid off years in advance, in 1952. Porkkala was returned to Finnish control in 1956.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_history_of_Finland_during_World_War_II

When, in September 1939, Germany attacked Poland, and both France and Britain declared war on Nazi Germany, Sweden declared itself a neutral country in regard to this escalating situation. On the outbreak of the Winter War between Finland and the Soviet Union in November 1939, Sweden declared itself to be ”non-belligerent” in regard to this particular conflict, actively siding with Finland. This allowed Sweden to aid Finland economically, and with armaments. Sweden and Finland also jointly laid minefields in the Sea of Ã…land to deter Soviet submarines from entering the Gulf of Bothnia.[11]

Yes we are the bad guys for wanting to help our neighbors and friends and a nation that was a part of our country, and that we share the same history as, for over 500 years.

Don't get into cultural debates that you have no ****ing clue about.

And bythe way i smell butthurt. Yoir tears tastes great.

No offense to any other Candian. Ilove you, you are nice. i'm drunk and have a happy new YEAR!!!!!

8BostonRocker24

Feb 8, 2006
Silicon Valley
pretty funny that americans coming in here and predicting the end of hockey in canada.

I think it's inevitable that canada will not always win everything. When the Czechs won the juniors, the Olympics and the world championships in '98 were we fearing the end of Canadian hockey talent? hells no.

I can see the U.S. having a brief showing like that at one point, but Canada will hang around and then be dominant for another period of time.

I just don't see how the U.S. can ever replace Canada as a main hockey superpower. It's too much a part of our culture.
10 times the population. USA Hockey has done a great job getting elite young athletes in the 3 most important states California, Texas and Florida to consider hockey over football, baseball and basketball. The pool of young talent in the United States is growing rapidly while Canada's is kind of flatten.

Canada is still the super power when it comes to hockey and producing NHL players, but it might not always be this way.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
I was at this game, one of the best I've ever been to. I was presently surprised with the intensity and how polite the Canada fans were. I was expecting it to be like watching a game in Philly especially because I had my Sweden shrit on. The only bad experience I had with a Canadian fan was during the USA game, some ***** was yelling to the American bench "Hey remember 9/11". That pissed me off but I didn't experience another ******* fan through both games. Good work.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
"Hey remember 9/11". That pissed me off but I didn't experience another ******* fan through both games.

Wow! Sorry you had to hear such a disgusting remark. Hopefully someone followed him out into the parking lot after the game and taught him some respect, if you catch my drift.

Glad you had such a great time. I have tickets for the semi's and have my fingers crossed for a Canada/U.S. game. May the best team win.

Grave

Mondo Cool
Jun 23, 2009
Northern California
Sweden is a world power when it comes to music aswell. Third largest exporter after US and GB/UK.

531aw4.jpg

Win.:yo:

Jaysfanatic*

Congrats Sweden. Never give up every time they were down. Gotta admire that kind of courage.

Also, Olivier Roy is brutal.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
10 times the population. USA Hockey has done a great job getting elite young athletes in the 3 most important states California, Texas and Florida to consider hockey over football, baseball and basketball. The pool of young talent in the United States is growing rapidly while Canada's is kind of flatten.

Canada is still the super power when it comes to hockey and producing NHL players, but it might not always be this way.

So wouldn't that apply to every sport?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad