GDT: Group B • Dec. 31 • Canada 5, Sweden 6 (SO) • Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
To be serious, the Swedes need to stop giving Canada bulletin board material. The comments by coach don't bother me, but make him look foolish, as you should always let sleeping dogs lie. Especially when the sleeping dog has crushed your dreams so many times over recent years. Do they never learn? If Canada and Sweden meet in the finals, I guarantee that coach will soil his pants, as if they lose, everyone will point at his comments, and he will look historically foolish.

What's wrong with him saying the Russian's were a harder opponent? It is his opinion, and I have to say I share it. Even though they didn't score any goals, they created a lot more chances and also defended better.
Again, saying Canada are not the best team in the tournament is not disrespectful, and it doesn't make you look stupid.

Trotzig

Oct 24, 2009
To be serious, the Swedes need to stop giving Canada bulletin board material. The comments by coach don't bother me, but make him look foolish, as you should always let sleeping dogs lie. Especially when the sleeping dog has crushed your dreams so many times over recent years. Do they never learn? If Canada and Sweden meet in the finals, I guarantee that coach will soil his pants, as if they lose, everyone will point at his comments, and he will look historically foolish.

Let's all look for arguments in non-arguments.
I gotta tell you, for being touted as "tough" Canadians sure are easily offended by their own imagination.

Btw, I still think refusing to shake hands afterwards was a lot more show of no class then claiming Russia and CZ where better then Canada.

Remember the ****storm a year ago when the ref allegedly ordered Sweden off the ice before shaking hands?
I guess it's only important to shake hands when Canada win.

Beezer

Trochek Was Tripped!
Jun 24, 2007
Orlando, Florida
Great game, was very entertaining. One of the most entertaining games I have seen in a couple years now, NHL included. Great plays by both teams and even though I was rooting for Canada, I found myself applauding the Sweds at the end of the game.

The Jumping Shrimp

Oct 28, 2009
Those medals are not worth much; Most hockey-people are aware of that the majority of theese last 10 tournaments have been held in Canada, whit Canadian refs, other Nations living in Barracks whit the Canadian hockeypoliticians and crowds against them and the typicall Canandian stuff like bordeline-cheating and unsportsmanhip against them as well. Remember, theese players are juniors and are more easy to intimidate than others. The Canadian hockey fed. knows this of course and have run this joke of a tournament accordingly for many years now .

I generally don't like to play the whole "we're playing with our B Team" card but if you insist on listing advantages given to Canada I think it's only fair we list the disadvantages as well.

I need only list one. Canada never has access to it's top players. Look back at 2005. That's what happens when Canada ices it's top team. As the 6 to 1 drubbing of the Russians in the gold medal game showed......it's not even close. 8 to 1 over the Swedes in the round robin. Come on. Really?

Pitlick*

What's wrong with him saying the Russian's were a harder opponent? It is his opinion, and I have to say I share it. Even though they didn't score any goals, they created a lot more chances and also defended better.
Again, saying Canada are not the best team in the tournament is not disrespectful, and it doesn't make you look stupid.

I'm not saying he's wrong. I'm saying that coaches generally give answers about opponents that highlight what they did well, or are vanilla. Example: Cameron: "Switzerland is a very good team, they almost beat the US, we have to be at our best or they could upset us". It's just what is normally done. Notice Cameron (and almost every other coach in hockey) didn't say, "the Swiss aren't in the same class as Russia / US / Finland / Sweden, we should beat them easily" even though it's probably true. Because if that opponent rises up later and beats the coach who put them down, there is the perception that his words motivated the team in the rematch, and he was a fool for talking.

So, I'm not saying the Swedish coach was wrong, but he was foolish for speaking that way. If he was smarter, he would have said "boy, that Canadian team sure was tough to play against, we definitely needed the bounces to beat them", even if he feels his team outclassed Canada thoroughly.

How did it turn out for Paajarvi?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I appreciate the Swedish coach's honesty. I like when people say what they really feel. Nothing worse than listening to standard middle of the road comments. Good or bad just say it and let the chips fall where they may.

mitch27

Sep 6, 2009
Windsor, Ontario
Swedish hockey is really growing on me. I love the way they play and I constantly find myself rooting for them (except for Friday obviously). I prefer losing to the Swedes than to the Americans or Russians. Congrats to the Swedes and here's to hoping we meet again in the gold medal game :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad