GDT: Group B • Dec. 31 • Canada 5, Sweden 6 (SO) • Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

romelson

Dec 19, 2007
Ornskoldsvik
Wikegard, swedish commentator expressed big surprise when Lindberg got to shoot the first penalty shot. Strange. He's a proven penalty shooter and proved it as late as the pre-WJC-game against Switzerland in which Lindberg also scored the game winning penalty shot. Shape up Wikegard.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
History says not, but you can come back and boast when you have 15 Golds.

To be fair, haven't all those medals come recently? I thought USA Hockey or whatever the name of the body for development is was revamped in the past few years and it really shows - in my opinion.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
To be fair, haven't all those medals come recently? I thought USA Hockey or whatever the name of the body for development is was revamped in the past few years and it really shows - in my opinion.

1986, 1992, 1997, 2004, 2007, 2010. I don't know looks pretty well spaced out, no back to back medalling years yet. Maybe this year will be the 1st.

Where as Canada is currently on a 12 year streak of medaling and medaled in 17 of the last 18.

BlackAces*

Ben Johnson told me to tell you hello.

Ohhhhh, one guy 20 years ago...ouch.:laugh:

As compared to a ridiculously large amount of American "heroes", both at the Olympic/Amateur, and professional level over that same time span.

Crazyhorse

Sep 2, 2006
Gothenburg
Yes we are the bad guys for wanting to help our neighbors and friends and a nation that was a part of our country, and that we share the same history as, for over 500 years.

Don't get into cultural debates that you have no ****ing clue about.

And bythe way i smell butthurt. Yoir tears tastes great.

No offense to any other Candian. Ilove you, you are nice. i'm drunk and have a happy new YEAR!!!!!

Don't feed the trolls. He obviously doesn't know anything about history.

Anyway, it was a great victory, but i think Canada will bounce back. I wouldn't be surprised to see us lose to them in the finals. As a Swede, I will smile today though.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Ohhhhh, one guy 20 years ago...ouch.:laugh:

As compared to a ridiculously large amount of American "heroes", both at the Olympic/Amateur, and professional level over that same time span.

I really shouldn't get involved in this part of the discussion but you do realize that many American track athletes were known drug takers and were still allowed to participate in International events.

Now back to hockey.

BlackAces*

I really shouldn't get involved in this part of the discussion but you do realize that many American track athletes were known drug takers and were still allowed to participate in International events.

Now back to hockey.

Yes, the US anti-doping governing body is a joke, common knowledge. Anyway, US "superiority" in other sports is highly dubious, so the opinion that all these amazing athletes are doing some other sport, clean, and that they would dominate the hockey world if they so chose, is entertaining.

Anyway, I am looking forward to a semi-final against the Americans, and a building that will overwhelmingly be in support of Team Canada.

wwvdw

Dec 22, 2009
Sweden
Now that pisses me off. No need for that...

Its the truth, both the Czech Republic and Russia created more chances then Canada did. Canada was just more prolific in front of goal and Lehner was awful the first two periods.

BlackAces*

Canada played terrible and took one of the better teams in the tournament, who was playing their best, to a shoot out.

I am fine with that.

marty 4 hart*

This game means nothing. Canada is still number one. We will win the gold.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
Now that pisses me off. No need for that...

Why? He's toning it down and saying that Canada didn't have a good game. I think most people expect Canada to come back and play better from here on. The Canadian media is presenting it out of context, like he just sat down and said "Canada wasn't the hardest challenge!".

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Canada played terrible and took one of the better teams in the tournament, who was playing their best, to a shoot out.

I am fine with that.
At some point there has to be a progression, though. Canada didn't play great but still beat Russia. The other games weren't big challenges. Canada didn't play great but still took Sweden to a shootout? When is the team suddenly going to step up? Maybe it won't/can't? Anyway, it's getting late for things to come together. Fingers crossed. But I don't see any reason for Canadian fans to be confident. Hopeful, sure. But confident, not at all. :dunno:

Kassian back will help. Imagine if the Kings hadn't sent Schenn back, though, yikes....

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
At some point there has to be a progression, though. Canada didn't play great but still beat Russia. The other games weren't big challenges. Canada didn't play great but still took Sweden to a shootout? When is the team suddenly going to step up? Maybe it won't/can't? Anyway, it's getting late for things to come together. Fingers crossed. But I don't see any reason for Canadian fans to be confident. Hopeful, sure. But confident, not at all. :dunno:

Kassian back will help. Imagine if the Kings hadn't sent Schenn back, though, yikes....

Goaltending appears to be the real issue. I think Cameron will be forced to go to Visentin, as Roy looks terrible.

Valic

BOOOOOOOOOO
Jun 12, 2007
Canada
Goaltending appears to be the real issue. I think Cameron will be forced to go to Visentin, as Roy looks terrible.

Four of the five goals were either crazy deflections, bats out of the air, or own goals. I don't see how you can say one way or the other if Visiten or anyone else for that matter makes those saves. He sure isn't playing up to his normal level though.

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
Four of the five goals were either crazy deflections, bats out of the air, or own goals. I don't see how you can say one way or the other if Visiten or anyone else for that matter makes those saves. He sure isn't playing up to his normal level though.

I think size would have made a difference on a few of those goals. 6'2 vs 5'10 is massive as a goalie. I know they list Roy as 5'11 but there is no way he is, he's smaller than Tokarski.

NAI77

Feb 18, 2006
NY
I really think that the Canadian fans need to calm down a bit; you lost to Sweden, which isn't exactly a bad team. There's no need to bring up Sweden's WWII history, claim that every American athlete is on drugs, etc. Just calm down, Canada could easily come back and win the tournament, or then again they could lose like they did last year. Whatever happens it will be fun to watch!

Your old Jofa helmet

Oct 2, 2006
Toronto
The difference in skill was hugely noticeable. Sweden impressed with their puck possession skills. They were immensely strong with the puck and good with their passing. Canadians were great in the hits department but it did not bring them any benefit. It was like watching a team of Sedins against the team of Phaneufs. And we all know who wins in this case...

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
The difference in skill was hugely noticeable. Sweden impressed with their puck possession skills. They were immensely strong with the puck and good with their passing. Canadians were great in the hits department but it did not bring them any benefit. It was like watching a team of Sedins against the team of Phaneufs. And we all know who wins in this case...

Then what does that say about sweden it took them to over time to win.They played a solid game but some are getting a bit carried away.

Trotzig

Oct 24, 2009

I am fine with that.

Then what does that say about sweden it took them to over time to win.They played a solid game but some are getting a bit carried away.

Canada didn't take anyone to a shootout, Lehner and that freak bounce did that just fine.

You create your own luck, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad