GDT: Group B • Dec. 31 • Canada 5, Sweden 6 (SO) • Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitz

Jul 27, 2009
-Congrats to the Swedes they were the better team today and deserved the win
-Poor goaltending from both sides, I've lost a lot of faith in Roy as a prospect after watching this tourney
-To the notorious Swede homer bringing up the lame registered hockey players argument... just quit your reputation precedes itself here

Good game!

Nordic.

Boom King

Dec 11, 2010
The Swedes dominated large parts of the game. Canada got a lot of lucky bounces and Sweden hit the post multiple times. The so called weak goals from Sweden were are all hard shots to the top corners while Canada got carems of the glass, soccer goals and an absolute glove botch job..

The shots to top corners could be described as weak because our goalie dropped way too soon. One shot was short side which any goalie should stop if he doesn't go down early. So just like how you described the Swedish goalie having a blotched glove job, the Canadian goalie blotched on his positioning on the other goal. That's all immaterial at this point anyways. Sweden won, they played better but hardly dominated. Canada lead the game 3 different times. Sweden controlled the play more the first 40 minutes but at no part in the game did they look like they were gonna "dominate" and run away with the game or at any point did Canada look like they had no chance.

nitz

Jul 27, 2009
I ****ing knew it, when we beat Canada the only thing the Canadians talk about are all the players they're missing and that they'd beat us easily if they were here.

:shakehead

And whenever Sweden loses, it's a big conspiracy by the refs to keep 'em down. Amirite? Amirite???

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
I'm quite certain I know myself better than you.

The competition was the best but the outcome was irrelevant.

I'm glad you're excited.

I'm hardly devastated because Canada is still in the tournament.

Much like in the 2002 Olympics, when Sweden blew Canada out of the water in the round-robin, Canada ended up with the gold medal anyway.

A bit early to be down.

Yeah that hurt my soul more than anything I've ever felt. Sweden was playing the best hockey I've ever seen for the games until the dreadful Belarus game. Canada was playing awful until then, Canada deserved to win that tournament because they won the games they needed to win but they werent the best team in the tournament. Much like Finland was the best team in the 2006 olympics until the very final game of the tournament.

I want another game like this in the tournament, this is why I love the WJC. Offensive as hell and all great fun

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Again sweden got there fair bounces don't make it seem like they did not.

Both teams had unbelievably fluky goals and both teams had sub-par(at best) performances by they goaltenders. Canada had an own-goal, an unbelieavable softie and once in a lifetime bounce in just the first period. Sweden had the 3-3 tie and the big softie to 4-3. But I think I can be pretty objective when I say Sweden carried most of the play and deserved the win in the end.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Sweden badly outplayed us this game. There speed and overall skill was on display the entire game. They had zonal control for prolly 75% of the game and lots of times when we would get the puck, they would strip us of it right back. I hate to say this but the past two years our overall team speed is becoming exposed by the trully elite nations. It happened last year against the USA and was badly apparent in todays game where it looked like Sweden was 1-2 levels faster. They were able to transition the puck thru the neutral zone with ease while it was quite the task and sloppy when we attempted too. Every single one of Swedens defencemen looks basically capable of moving the puck up the ice whereas we have guys like Olsen, Cowen, Gudbrunnson and Despres whos puck moving skills are questionable at best. Not bringing both or at least one of Ryan Murphy or Ryan Murray was a big mistake. Usually in years past our physicality thruout a game would wear down the opponent but two years in a row the opposing teams overall speed has actually wore us down. We are quite lucky to have such a home ice advantage with the crowd because its prolly worth at least one goal per game.

It's really becoming concerning how much better USA and Swedens speed and puck movement looks in comparison to Team Canada. Hats off to Sweden, they played one hell of a game and didnt back down one bit.

Antraxh

Jan 5, 2009
The shots to top corners could be described as weak because our goalie dropped way too soon. One shot was short side which any goalie should stop if he doesn't go down early. So just like how you described the Swedish goalie having a blotched glove job, the Canadian goalie blotched on his positioning on the other goal. That's all immaterial at this point anyways. Sweden won, they played better but hardly dominated. Canada lead the game 3 different times. Sweden controlled the play more the first 40 minutes but at no part in the game did they look like they were gonna "dominate" and run away with the game or at any point did Canada look like they had no chance.

If the goalie feels the need to close it at the ice he will most often leave a spot on the shortside. Far side should always be blocked though. Geometry...

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Correct.

Excuses are only okay when he makes them. Duh.

Sweden has been screwed by refs against Canada on numerous occasions, it's not exactly something new. But usually it doesn't mean that Canada wins due to it, just that they don't need the extra help since they are the better team even without it.

Boom King

Dec 11, 2010
Both teams had unbelievably fluky goals and both teams had sub-par(at best) performances by they goaltenders. Canada had an own-goal, an unbelieavable softie and once in a lifetime bounce in just the first period. Sweden had the 3-3 tie and the big softie to 4-3. But I think I can be pretty objective when I say Sweden carried most of the play and deserved the win in the end.

Exactly. Lucky bounces were had by both sides and a discussion saying one team got more bounces will just go around in circles. Sweden carried the play, deserved to win, simple.

MattiRuisma

Dec 12, 2010
Luleå, SWEDEN
Usually in years past our physicality thruout a game would wear down the opponent but two years in a row the opposing teams overall speed has actually wore us down. We are quite lucky to have such a home ice advantage with the crowd because its prolly worth at least one goal per game.

It's really becoming concerning how much better USA and Swedens speed and puck movement looks in comparison to Team Canada. Hats off to Sweden, they played one hell of a game and didnt back down one bit.

This is quite interesting. There are definetily a new wind blowing in Sweden how the approach the gameplay where more and more teams are focusing on speed due to the zero toleranse. For instance, my team Luleå Hockey has a sub par team player for player but the have mastered this new hockey really well and are in the top of the SEL.

This type of hockey focusing on speed is a red thread through out the whole national team system at the moment and time will tell if it will be successful.

I don´t think that Canada can rely on the physical game in the long run and if tonights game had been played on a big surface you would probably lost the game pretty much.

Klaus

Teemu!
May 8, 2010
Winnipeg, MB
Sweden has been screwed by refs against Canada on numerous occasions, it's not exactly something new. But usually it doesn't mean that Canada wins due to it, just that they don't need the extra help since they are the better team even without it.

LOL... no, they have not. **** calls/bad reffing go both ways, but really I guess there's really no point in trying to explain that to you. How is the argument that Canada having it's stars here would help them win not valid? Matt Duchene, Jeff Skinner on this team...? **** yeah.

An excuse is an excuse. Again, they're apparently only legitimate when you make them.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
I'm gonna be real pissed if Lander pluck a single lock from Fjäll's super awesome microphonic hairdo. :rant:

Boom King

Dec 11, 2010
So when the Swiss or USA beat Canada.... ok.. IF they beat Canada does that knock Canada out of medal contention ?

Preliminaries end tonight. After this, all games are elimination games.

Edit: The two teams that lose in the semis will play a bronze medal game.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
This is quite interesting. There are definetily a new wind blowing in Sweden how the approach the gameplay where more and more teams are focusing on speed due to the zero toleranse. For instance, my team Luleå Hockey has a sub par team player for player but the have mastered this new hockey really well and are in the top of the SEL.

This type of hockey focusing on speed is a red thread through out the whole national team system at the moment and time will tell if it will be successful.

I don´t think that Canada can rely on the physical game in the long run and if tonights game had been played on a big surface you would probably lost the game pretty much.

Speed kills under the new rules of hockey.

Its even why a rather weak talent team on paper like Phoenix can become a very good defensive team because they have the footspeed to win lots of races to loose pucks and generally be in good position because of strong skating. In tonights game the speed and puckmovement between the two teams was extremely evident when each respective teams defencemen would go back behind the net. Basically everyone outside of Ellis, Barrie and to a lesser extent De Haan, would retrieve the puck and just ring it around the boards whereas the Swede defenders would all basically skate back, grab the puck and turn it up the ice and do 90% of the work for the forwards instead of having to grab a fired around shot along the boards that almost always ends up in your feet and very hard to control. The gap in speed between the USA, Sweden and Russia compared to Canada is becoming very apparent. Even in the exhibition game against the Fins they gave us some fits the first two periods with there ability to skate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->