GDT: Group B • Dec. 31 • Canada 5, Sweden 6 (SO) • Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
LOL... no, they have not. **** calls/bad reffing go both ways, but really I guess there's really no point in trying to explain that to you. How is the argument that Canada having it's stars here would help them win not valid? Matt Duchene, Jeff Skinner on this team...? **** yeah.

An excuse is an excuse. Again, they're apparently only legitimate when you make them.

These are the teams availible, we're also missing 4 players that would be the best 4 on our team. That's just the way it is, just deal with it.

There wouldn't be a buzz about the reffing in games between Canada and Sweden, if there wasn't some truth in it. Just look at the exhibition game before the JWC. It didn't mean anything (aside from perhaps a psychological advantage) but the refs practically handed Canada the game. This game was pretty evenly reffed, which doesn't happen too often.

Anyway, why continue argue about this - you have your opinion, and I have mine. I'm not trying to make you change your mind, I'm just telling you how I see it.

What do you want to hear. We won, but you have the better junior team? We did, and you have, but that isn't the point:)

Happy new year:handclap:

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
Canada looked tired tonight, constantly slow, behind the play or bobbling the puck in some way. I think that the entire team played poorly, never mind just Roy - who, I thought isn't getting nearly the credit he should. Canada gave up a lot of primo shots from the slot and he fared quite well on them. Several goals were unstoppable, and some were tipped but it wasn't easy to tell on the broadcast. I think everyone's only teeing off on Roy because McGuire kept doing it during the game, and people just keep parroting that.

The whole Canadian team looked poor out there with the exception of Foligno, and the better team definitely won.

Klaus

Teemu!
May 8, 2010
Winnipeg, MB
These are the teams availible, we're also missing 4 players that would be the best 4 on our team. That's just the way it is, just deal with it.

There wouldn't be a buzz about the reffing in games between Canada and Sweden, if there wasn't some truth in it. Just look at the exhibition game before the JWC. It didn't mean anything (aside from perhaps a psychological advantage) but the refs practically handed Canada the game. This game was pretty evenly reffed, which doesn't happen too often.

Anyway, why continue argue about this - you have your opinion, and I have mine. I'm not trying to make you change your mind, I'm just telling you how I see it.

It's not there because there's truth to it, it's there because there's always going to be butthurt fans, such as yourself and nearly every other Swede on here, who need to console themselves for a loss in some way.

What do you want to hear. We won, but you have the better junior team? We did, and you have, but that isn't the point:)

Happy new year:handclap:

I don't want to hear anything. Sweden clearly outplayed Canada tonight and deserved the win. Hopefully we can tweak things in our QF.

Happy New Year.

Last edited:

outofrange

Feb 6, 2007
Swedish coach:

We got a tougher competition from the Czechs and the Russians.

:facepalm:

Very cocky bunch considering their country hasn't won since 1981.

Haha seriously.

Also post game Mckenzie said Schenn got hurt on the PK even though he managed to help tie the game up seconds later. Any news on that? And is there any possibility that he might not play? He looked like he was feeling it in a bad way in the third.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Swedish coach:

It's really not that far fetched though.. I'd say canada played better than the Czechs but the russians certainly played better against Sweden than Canada did.

R

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Swedish coach:

He's right, we did. At least from the Russians.

But saying that publicly isn't the smartest thing for a Swedish head coach. If we happen to face Canada again, they'll be furious.

Garyboy

Oct 31, 2010
Toronto
Speed kills under the new rules of hockey.

Its even why a rather weak talent team on paper like Phoenix can become a very good defensive team because they have the footspeed to win lots of races to loose pucks and generally be in good position because of strong skating. In tonights game the speed and puckmovement between the two teams was extremely evident when each respective teams defencemen would go back behind the net. Basically everyone outside of Ellis, Barrie and to a lesser extent De Haan, would retrieve the puck and just ring it around the boards whereas the Swede defenders would all basically skate back, grab the puck and turn it up the ice and do 90% of the work for the forwards instead of having to grab a fired around shot along the boards that almost always ends up in your feet and very hard to control. The gap in speed between the USA, Sweden and Russia compared to Canada is becoming very apparent. Even in the exhibition game against the Fins they gave us some fits the first two periods with there ability to skate.

Beautifully put.

It's a good thing Canada left Ryan Murphy off the roster. A fast and shifty defenseman that could carry the puck end-to-end surely would be of no use on the D when they can play the likes of Depres, Gudbranson, Cowan, and Olsen.

They say they built this team big to combat the U.S.A - I guess they failed to realize it wasn't size, but speed that did them in last year, as it did today.

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
It's really not that far fetched though.. I'd say canada played better than the Czechs but the russians certainly played better against Sweden than Canada did.

R

He's right, we did.

But saying that publicly isn't the smartest thing for a Swedish head coach. If we happen to face Canada again, they'll be furious.

Dave Cameron is sitting right beside him while he's saying that. Come on.. Canada gave Sweden much more of a test than the Czechs. There's a reason the game went to shootout. It could've easily gone the other way.

It's clear he's trying to stir things up. I like it... Canada should listen to that, and avenge the loss.

EDIT: It's clear that the Swedes really hate Canada.. Why wouldn't you? They have been beaten a lot by them. The celebration and now that...

adaminnj

Leafs out = SPRING!
Feb 6, 2009
NJ
pretty funny that americans coming in here and predicting the end of hockey in canada.

I think it's inevitable that canada will not always win everything. When the Czechs won the juniors, the Olympics and the world championships in '98 were we fearing the end of Canadian hockey talent? hells no.

I can see the U.S. having a brief showing like that at one point, but Canada will hang around and then be dominant for another period of time.

I just don't see how the U.S. can ever replace Canada as a main hockey superpower. It's too much a part of our culture.

Well, All I can say is that the US is the driving monetary force behind the NHL. with out the US the NHL would be slightly better off than the CFL. And with out the salaries that are paid by the NHL with USDs the interest in Hockey in canada would wain as nothing more than a hobby as opposed to the career choice.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying anything is bad about canadian hockey but the US has almost as many registered hockey players as Canada and as much talent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_hockey#Number_of_registered_players_by_country

As well High school hockey Shattuck-Saint Mary's
Notable Alumni

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shattuck-Saint_Mary's#Notable_alumni

And university hockey, Canadians want to play in the states Boston college is a list topper for hockey player who would like to develop in to NHL players.

The US is taking a bigger interest in hockey and just like larger centers in for minor hockey in canada have better hockey teams because they can draw from more kid the US has more people and the interest is building.

I will say this, The canadian hockey players I have skated with and met on average have better temperaments.

As long as the big money US jobs are there for Canadians Canada will be a huge force in hockey on all levels.

Ironically my son is a canadian hockey player and a US citizen. He started playing here and has played net for 3 years in Canada. As well I shoveled a pond here to teach him to skate 4 years ago.

As for saying that hockey is "Americas game" now that is just silly and meant to dig at Canadians that put their whole identities into "Canadian hockey".
I say it to friends who bust my chops when I'm at the rink but is all in fun. I was told by a guy I know that trains Jrs in Canada that "He was going to have me deported" when I went to play shinny in a team USA jersey a few days after the Jr tournament last year. Then I had to eat is after the US loss to Canada at the Olympics. BUT I still wore my USA Jersey the first day, after then the next day I wore a Team Canada Jacket Just to be funny.

It's all in good fun and you should take all the smack talk as just good fun too.

I'm writing this while watching the US, Swiss game so I hope that I made some sense.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Dave Cameron is sitting right beside him while he's saying that. Come on.. Canada gave Sweden much more of a test than the Czechs. There's a reason the game went to shootout. It could've easily gone the other way.

It's clear he's trying to stir things up. I like it... Canada should listen to that, and avenge the loss.

Lehner stunk it up today, that's the reason it went to a shootout. The Czechs surprised me and created a lot of chances, more so than Canada.

Russia played flat out better against us than Canada did, we got really lucky when we won 2-0 against them. Lehner was amazing.

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC

EDIT: It's clear that the Swedes really hate Canada.. Why wouldn't you? They have been beaten a lot by them. The celebration and now that...

Or as a coach of their hockey team he actually feels that way. It's not always about Canada you know.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden

I said nothing else? Canada was better than the Czechs but Russia played better against us than Canada did even if the result was closer.

What's wrong with that? It was just one game, next game Canad could beat us, Russia could beat us or whatever.. that is just how it was

dude67

Nov 15, 2010
We have the puck and we decide when u guys can have it and that mentality i just love about this team and when we decide to give puck a way we get in to the fore checks mod like crazy people.

This team is more design to win hockey game last year team was just to over skilled u don´t win hockey games with just skill.

Rönnberg has built a really good hockey team here we will see how long they can go

inoajd

Dec 11, 2010
We have the puck and we decide when u guys can have it and that mentality i just love about this team and when we decide to give puck a way we get in to the fore checks mod like crazy people.

This team is more design to win hockey game last year team was just to over skilled u don´t win hockey games with just skill.

Rönnberg has built a really good hockey team here we will see how long they can go

Kind of funny how the whole of Hockey Sweden were saying how Luleå would never be able to do anything playing like that and now every single team in Elitserien wants to do it while the international teams are already doing it.

Rönnqvist leading the way :yo:

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Or as a coach of their hockey team he actually feels that way. It's not always about Canada you know.

If I was him, I wouldn't say that publicly... but that's just my opinion.

Hopefully, Canada does prove him wrong though I'm not liking our chances.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Lehner stunk it up today, that's the reason it went to a shootout. The Czechs surprised me and created a lot of chances, more so than Canada.

Russia played flat out better against us than Canada did, we got really lucky when we won 2-0 against them. Lehner was amazing.
Could the crowd tonight possibly be the reason for Lehner's shaky play? Looked kinda nervous. Although, he looked like he got it back together after that **** period.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Could the crowd tonight possibly be the reason for Lehner's shaky play? Looked kinda nervous. Although, he looked like he got it back together after that **** period.

When they interviewed him after the game, he seemed really frustrated and almost ashamed about his appearence. He said that he finally got it somewhat together in the third period.

He did come up big in the shootout though. But Adam Larsson is once again showing that he's not a top-10 pick in the draft...:cry:

Boom King

Dec 11, 2010
When they interviewed him after the game, he seemed really frustrated and almost ashamed about his appearence. He said that he finally got it somewhat together in the third period.

He did come up big in the shootout though. But Adam Larsson is once again showing that he's not a top-10 pick in the draft...:cry:

He got blown up on that one check that sent him through the post. TSN said that his injuries have hurt his development though? I haven't followed Larsson that closely.

cenas*

Don't worry, Red Wings will pick him up.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
He got blown up on that one check that sent him through the post. TSN said that his injuries have hurt his development though? I haven't followed Larsson that closely.

Everything he does just takes way to long. That works in the SEL on the bigger rinks, but here he gets exploited and.....crushed from time to time.

He plays the thinking game like Lidstrom, but isn't as smart as he is.

dude67

Nov 15, 2010
Kind of funny how the whole of Hockey Sweden were saying how Luleå would never be able to do anything playing like that and now every single team in Elitserien wants to do it while the international teams are already doing it.

First i think of is not Luleå nothing against Luleå they are great this year this Swedes team remind me how Detroit Red Wings build there teams.

Speed skill all 4 line can produce a great D:yo:

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
First i think of is not Luleå nothing against Luleå they are great this year this Swedes team remind me how Detroit Red Wings build there teams.

Speed skill all 4 line can produce a great D:yo:

And sub-par goaltending:sarcasm:

MattiRuisma

Dec 12, 2010
Luleå, SWEDEN

And Luleå native Rönnberg leading the way with the U20 National Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad