Player Discussion Griffin Reinhart: Trade for, season expectations, all in here [UPD: Recalled]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Reinhart has looked fine at the AHL level when I have seen him. He is not a flashy player, he does not skate through the opposing team or take the body like Scott Stevens. What stands out is he has no panic to his game and he's good at a lot of things. He has a good shot, he's big enough to break up cycles and really hammer guys when he chooses to and he has a good first pass. He doesn't have Klefbom's skating or offense and he doesn't have Nurse's speed or fiestiness, that doesn't mean that he is a career AHLer. Oesterle can skate and pass but is far
too weak for the NHL level.

Another thing to consider is that Draisaitl had all of 2 assists in 6 games at the AHL level, some guys just play better at the next level, IMO Reinhart right now is a serviceable bottom pairing guy.

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia
Reinhart has looked fine at the AHL level when I have seen him. He is not a flashy player, he does not skate through the opposing team or take the body like Scott Stevens. What stands out is he has no panic to his game and he's good at a lot of things. He has a good shot, he's big enough to break up cycles and really hammer guys when he chooses to and he has a good first pass. He doesn't have Klefbom's skating or offense and he doesn't have Nurse's speed or fiestiness, that doesn't mean that he is a career AHLer. Oesterle can skate and pass but is far
too weak for the NHL level.

Another thing to consider is that Draisaitl had all of 2 assists in 6 games at the AHL level, some guys just play better at the next level, IMO Reinhart right now is a serviceable bottom pairing guy.

I have to agree with ya. Some guys look better in the NHL then the A

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I have watched Reinhart on AHL live, and have generally liked what I've seen.

The good:
- great positioning
- great gap control at the blue line, and top of circle
- excellent at breaking the cycle
- footspeed isn't an issue at the AHL level (seems to be about the same speed as Oesterle)

The bad:
- headman pass, doesn't use it enough
- needs to be more physical on the boards, angles players, not hits
- needs to work on his edges and transitions

In general, he seems to be the guy that Fleming goes to when he needs to.

I'd say that if you watch what he does well, he does it really well. Extremely low event player, both ends of the rink.

Interesting.
One of the reasons I appreciate Scott Zerr's reports is that he has watched every game Reinhart has played. The larger the sample size the more accurate the reporting.
How many games were you able to watch?

Ogopogo*

You must of missed the part where he literally took over games and shut down guys. He was a beast for the OK's.

Yes, I definitely missed that - if it ever happened. Never once did I see a game that I thought Reinhart took over or was a beast.

victor

Sep 6, 2003
Interesting.
One of the reasons I appreciate Scott Zerr's reports is that he has watched every game Reinhart has played. The larger the sample size the more accurate the reporting.

I've watched 5 (I bought a 5 game pass.) I don't think, though, that I just saw his good games.

I think that his reporting is due to his expectations around the player, likely comparing him to a player like Nurse. You see Nurse every shift, he's flying around, trying to do everything, make plays. This is why he was left off of the Canadian Junior team - he try's to do too much, and puts himself into difficult spots.

You watch Reinhart, and he's the opposite. He's very focused, methodical. Good angles, good positioning. It's boring. He doesn't take many risks. I think that that is why he is in the minors right now, to become more assertive in making plays.

Anyone here who would like could buy individual games (from $4.99 US per game to $199.00US for every game) and watch either the game or replays of specific ones. I'll warn you, though, that the broadcast quality is less than what you may be used to. Some rinks are better than others.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
I've watched 5 (I bought a 5 game pass.) I don't think, though, that I just saw his good games.

I think that his reporting is due to his expectations around the player, likely comparing him to a player like Nurse. You see Nurse every shift, he's flying around, trying to do everything, make plays. This is why he was left off of the Canadian Junior team - he try's to do too much, and puts himself into difficult spots.

You watch Reinhart, and he's the opposite. He's very focused, methodical. Good angles, good positioning. It's boring. He doesn't take many risks. I think that that is why he is in the minors right now, to become more assertive in making plays.

Anyone here who would like could buy individual games (from $4.99 US per game to $199.00US for every game) and watch either the game or replays of specific ones. I'll warn you, though, that the broadcast quality is less than what you may be used to. Some rinks are better than others.

And yet they won gold when Nurse was on the top pairing. Reinhart couldn't even medal.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Interesting.

We have people that watch every Oilers game that thinks that RNH sucks, is overpaid and Gagner 2.0. This is why it's better to watch games yourself and draw your own conclusions IMO.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Interesting.

That isn't completely true.

If you see too much you tend to look for and focus on the negative aspects of his game. Especially for such a low event player.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
We have people that watch every Oilers game that thinks that RNH sucks, is overpaid and Gagner 2.0. This is why it's better to watch games yourself and draw your own conclusions IMO.

That isn't completely true.

If you see too much you tend to look for and focus on the negative aspects of his game. Especially for such a low event player.

These tend to be true with fans. Scott Zerr isnt a fan....he is a reporter.
Yet another reason why I tend to trust his perspective more than an HF poster.
He doesn't have an agenda and therefore will tend to be more objective.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
These tend to be true with fans. Scott Zerr isnt a fan....he is a reporter.
Yet another reason why I tend to trust his perspective more than an HF poster.
He doesn't have an agenda and therefore will tend to be more objective.

So he watches the games but has no allegiance to any teams? Kind of like Hrudey doesn't have a pro Flames agenda?

Oct 15, 2008
Then you weren't watching, i can't believe you even think this is debatable.

Hey, he watched 15 games and never saw any beast mode. Of course that really isn't what Reinhart is about. If you watched him enough you would know that. Probably why people tend to jump to the wrong conclusions.

But if you gather enough I'll informed people together in one place, the mob mentality takes over and the fiction becomes fact. What we've got here is, failure to communicate.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Hey, he watched 15 games and never saw any beast mode. Of course that really isn't what Reinhart is about. If you watched him enough you would know that. Probably why people tend to jump to the wrong conclusions.

But if you gather enough I'll informed people together in one place, the mob mentality takes over and the fiction becomes fact. What we've got here is, failure to communicate.

I don't know what he means by beast mode or you for that matter but Reinhart was exceptional in the WHL. Teams couldn't cross the blue line against him, he broke up cycles, he made great headman passes, he held the line, he had a quality shot. He didn't rush the puck all the time or make fancy plays on the regular but he suppressed nearly any chance the other team had at controlling the play. Reinhart was the best player, only Lazar was delectably better, on a unbelievably good WHL team so i'd call that beast mode. I don't watch a ton of Oil Kings but i would see enough games a year to get a good idea what each player, especially the high profile guys, brought.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
So he watches the games but has no allegiance to any teams? Kind of like Hrudey doesn't have a pro Flames agenda?

Whats your point exactly...that I should trust 5 games of viewing by an Oiler fan over an entire season of reporting by Scott Zerr?

Alrighty then.

Oct 15, 2008
I don't know what he means by beast mode or you for that matter but Reinhart was exceptional in the WHL. Teams couldn't cross the blue line against him, he broke up cycles, he made great headman passes, he held the line, he had a quality shot. He didn't rush the puck all the time or make fancy plays on the regular but he suppressed nearly any chance the other team had at controlling the play. Reinhart was the best player, only Lazar was delectably better, on a unbelievably good WHL team so i'd call that beast mode. I don't watch a ton of Oil Kings but i would see enough games a year to get a good idea what each player, especially the high profile guys, brought.

He calms things down. He is cool under pressure and more often than not makes smart safe plays that get the puck safely out of the zone and headed in the right direction. That's what he brings and what his game is all about. If people aren't paying attention they miss this and can go home thinking he didn't do anything.

He seems bored or like he doesn't care. That's how cool he is. He rarely loses his composure.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005

With Davidson injured yestergame, we will probably see Reinhart vs. Nashville.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Whats your point exactly...that I should trust 5 games of viewing by an Oiler fan over an entire season of reporting by Scott Zerr?

Alrighty then.

You know Reinhart has only played 14 games in the AHL this year, right?

I'm excited to see him back up here.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Hoping he can be similar to a Nik Hjalmarsson for us. He didn't become a regular member on a relatively weak Hawks D core until 5 years after his draft (2009-10).

Edit: In terms of Reinhart, that would mean next season (2016-17). Definitely on a similar track.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad