Player Discussion Griffin Reinhart: Trade for, season expectations, all in here [UPD: Recalled]

Status
Not open for further replies.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Last thread passed 1000. Continue here.

Some posts.

It's not up to me to do the due diligence, it's up to Chia. None of us know who was available but what we know for an absolute fact is that they traded valuable assets for a maybe.

If the rationale behind the deal is that no one else was available so they had to deal for Reinhart then what does that say about the trade?

I'm not saying it's a bad trade because that has yet to be determined. I'm just saying that I'm disappointed that the Oilers didn't get a proven top 4 D with those picks and I also question Reinhart's upside.

And we are saying that he probably did his due diligence and that stance is supported by only 1 too 4 d being moved all off season with mulitple teams needing one.

Yes it sucks that we didn't get too 4 guy with those picks but we got a guy management liked more then those 2 picks. The trade wasn't done cause it had to be. It was done because they either wanted a prospect further along or a player., simple as that. The reasoning isn't flawed and the trade is hard to judge till at least training camp

Certainly picks have their highest value at the draft, and I was pretty upset at the cost at the draft. But we as fans may have vastly overestimated what teams are prepared to give up for a top 4 defenceman.

Other than the Leddy & Boychuk cap dumps, have there been any notable defencemen traded for picks/prospects?

I posted this in the Rumors thread, but I'll post again here: I think the only reason this deal happens is because of McDavid. Suddenly you have the most anticipated prospect since Crosby and a fantastic ELC with which to get things done.

Chia took a gamble on a player who had great defensive skill as a prospect and was the same developmental stage as the 2.0 Core (McDavid, Draisaitl, Nurse).

So he's hedging his bets in getting a player he hopes can be a top 4 d-man in the first several years of McDavid's contract.

And he's overpaying, as far as prospects go, except he's also paying for Reinhart being 2 years farther along than Barzal/Svechnikov/etc.

With respect to the other moves, who knows about Marincin/Gryba, and he must have been confident but not 100% sure about Sekera.

And he obviously wasn't ready to pencil Nurse in to the starting lineup.

As a fanbase we really have to get used to not value our picks so highly anymore. The two seasons after this one we have a real window of opportunity. We need to get our heads around that we need NHL players, not a player that might come good in three seasons. I'm all for dumping picks for proven quality. Now is Reinhart proven quality? Arguably not, but he's certainly longer down the road to proven quailty than an 18 year old.

I find it very hard to talk about "windows" when we are the worst team in the league.

How about we get NEAR the playoffs before we talk about windows.

We aren't the worst team in the league though. Close but not the worst.

Also we do have a window, during McDavids ELC is one of our better chances to succeed.

I like the chances that the team is better short term with Reinhart vs someone like Svechnikov. Again, Barzal was not in the cards, nor is he going to make a difference in the short run if ever.

The obvious assumption is that there was a better return out there. Chia had consistently stated that he was looking for defensemen that would fit the team's age profile. I happen to think that this was a wise decision since this team is not poised to win right now. Reinhart may not be the best example of such a player but he is a lot closer than I expected they would get.

People bring up names like Severson who has all of 51 NHL games to his name. He had a great start that was derailed by injury. In reality we don't know if he is the real deal just like we don't know what Reinhart will be. But even with such limited evidence the cost of a guy like Severson would be much greater than a 16th pick and a high second. Devil's posters suggest Draisaitl and I think they are probably right that it would take such a player to get the Devils move him. Teams just don't give up cost controlled defensemen with promise without a premium being paid.

The other end of the scale you have Seabrook or Burns. There is absolutely no evidence that either would have been available at the draft. And if they were that these assets would be close to getting a deal done. Moreover, there are cap and age considerations with both players that need to be given careful consideration.

I also think that calling Sekera vs Petry a wash is downplaying Sekera. I actually like Petry but think Sekera is a clear upgrade.

^well said! we fans always build up draft picks to be likely something they may not ever be. and people should be happy that, even though we lost out on Dougie Hamilton, we were able to sign arguably the best UFA d-man available in Sekera and were able to trade for a further along in his development and likely NHL ready d-man in Reinhart. if Reinhart makes the team this year, these 2 d-men will be an instant upgrade on what we had last year.

and let's not forget, we still have the d-man that Chia apparently wasn't willing to part with and the d-man Boston apparently wanted for Hamilton, Darnell Nurse, waiting in the wings. Nurse brings size, speed and good defensive habits to the Oilers, and though he may not have Hamilton's offensive upside, he plays a much physically tougher game than Hamilton does.

i could care a less about our lost picks at the draft this year because we made the moves we needed to make to get better NOW....the last thing we needed at the moment was more potential down the road when this team needs badly to get out of the toilet and not wait anymore for more draft choices to come along. i hope we trade our 1st rounder next year as well if we can find someone who's really good that can help us win NOW.

So why did Boston make the trade with Calgary if we were offering better picks? We needed Hamilton more than the Flames did and we definitely had more to offer than what they gave up. Somehow we managed to screw up the negotiations and they ended up sending to the Flames to spite Chiarelli. There were rumours going around we were going to put out an offer sheet and that definitely didnt help. It seems like we played hardball trying to get the best deal and they said screw it.

It's not the end of the world but picking up Reinhart is not the kind of move that is likely to push this team to the next level any time soon. It's the kind of move MacT or even Tambellini might have pulled off that could eventually somewhere in the future work out well for this team if everything goes right. It's a mediocre move that totally depends on what you think of his development compared to the abilities of the players that were available at the draft picks we gave up. It's a meh, move. Certainly not a win for Chiarelli and realistically he didnt have many of those this offseason that werent already in the cards and the organization wouldnt have already done with MacT at the helm.

@Halibut....i don't believe *for a second* that Hamilton was ever going to be traded here by Boston. yes, maybe Chia was going to offer sheet Hamilton and the B's picked up on this, and as a result traded him to our rival, but i sure see some hard feeling between the Bruins Old Boys Club, Neely and Sweeney, and Chia, though it seems to be on the B's part. we could have offered the B's #16, #33, #57, #79 and #86 or whatever and i don't believe he was ever going to be traded here. if there were hard feelings when Chia left the Bruins, why would you try to make your former GM look good by trying to make his new team successful? old boys mentality after all.

So Neely, Sweeney and Chiarelli, very much not an "old boys club"

So offer them more than draft picks if that's what it took. Send them Lander or Schultz or heck even Yakupov with a pick coming back as well if you needed to. That would have been a win because Hamilton would instantly improve our blueline and that's what we needed to do. Reinhart doesnt immediately improve our defence, it's that simple. This move was a fairly meaningless move, it's another in a long line of mediocre moves our management has made for years. Doesnt it mean Chiarelli is a crap GM? No, but it also means he hasnt done much as yet to actually improve this team besides wait for the draft picks to develop and sign a slightly better free agent than MacT ever did.

Last edited by a moderator:

McDeathbyCheerios*

So offer them more than draft picks if that's what it took. Send them Lander or Schultz or heck even Yakupov with a pick coming back as well if you needed to. That would have been a win because Hamilton would instantly improve our blueline and that's what we needed to do. Reinhart doesnt immediately improve our defence, it's that simple. This move was a fairly meaningless move, it's another in a long line of mediocre moves our management has made for years. Doesnt it mean Chiarelli is a crap GM? No, but it also means he hasnt done much as yet to actually improve this team besides wait for the draft picks to develop and sign a slightly better free agent than MacT ever did.
It was reported multiple times that they wanted Nurse, 16, 33 and 57 for Hamilton or no dice. Imo I rather have Nurse, Reinhart, Talbot then just Hamilton.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Hamilton is also getting totally thown under the bus in Boston. At first I thought it was one smear job, but theres been numerous articles and references to Hamilton being a massively flawed and big locker room distraction. Normally I think media tend to invent stuff but the fact no team mate is sticking up for him and some are even inferring he was horrible in the locker room kinda makes you think

I think its a bit overblown, but theres a reason he was moved so fast. Couldnt be money, he signed for cheap in Calg. I think he had a pretty horrible attitude and teammates wanted him off. Ofcourse id take him on the Oilers but not at all for Nurse + and especially not Nurse +16th+33rd

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Hamilton is also getting totally thown under the bus in Boston. At first I thought it was one smear job, but theres been numerous articles and references to Hamilton being a massively flawed and big locker room distraction. Normally I think media tend to invent stuff but the fact no team mate is sticking up for him and some are even inferring he was horrible in the locker room kinda makes you think

I think its a bit overblown, but theres a reason he was moved so fast. Couldnt be money, he signed for cheap in Calg. I think he had a pretty horrible attitude and teammates wanted him off. Ofcourse id take him on the Oilers but not at all for Nurse + and especially not Nurse +16th+33rd

That's why I hope the Oilers have a great locker room one day. You throw a guy who is allegedly like that into the Oilers current dressing room and the team would suffer, whereas if you throw the same guy into the Blackhawks locker room, Toews and company would set him straight or he would be gone as fast as he arrived. A great locker room is an effective buffer against jimmy rustlers.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
It was reported multiple times that they wanted Nurse, 16, 33 and 57 for Hamilton or no dice. Imo I rather have Nurse, Reinhart, Talbot then just Hamilton.

There is room between Nurse + the picks and what Boston got from Calgary. Miles of room.

McDeathbyCheerios*

There is room between Nurse + the picks and what Boston got from Calgary. Miles of room.
I know. But that is what they asked for from Edmonton cause they don't like Chia and it was Nurse+ or no deal. The point is the only way we got Hamilton was a gross over pay and I'm glad we didn't pay the cost.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003

Boston was sore at Chia for all the rumours that he was going to offersheet Hamilton. The Oilers weren't going to get Hamilton for anything less than a trade that makes the Bruins obvious winners.

Hamilton to Edmonton wasn't going to happen.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
All the angst about what didn't happen, but stop for a second and think, what if Reinhart turns into a good defenceman? If he becomes a good player for the team everyone will look back in a few years and say "wow Chia sure called that one"

I know people like to downplay Reinhart because he didn't knock peoples socks off last year, but come on, the guy was drafted 4th overall and there were lots of rumours the Oilers were thinking of taking him #1 overall, not like he doesn't have a pedigree. Wouldn't be the first defenceman to take his time developing.

Not every move to turn a franchise around is a home run. This is really the kind of move that does it better than anything. Relatively small price for a prospect with potential and then you hope they reach that potential. I think the problem is the team has for so long been either a place where the management takes in bad prospects or develops them horribly. Let's see how Chiarelli is as a judge of prospects and how good the new coaches are at developing prospects. There's some evidence there that these guys are better than the last guys so let's give em a chance.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

They did the same smear job on Seguin and he went to Dallas and his become a top 5 offensive player in the league. That there is all this crap written about 21 and 22 year old players is an indictment of the media in Boston, not on the player being torn to shreds.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
They did the same smear job on Seguin and he went to Dallas and his become a top 5 offensive player in the league. That there is all this crap written about 21 and 22 year old players is an indictment of the media in Boston, not on the player being torn to shreds.

With Seguin it was about partying, but even then the players didnt come to his aid. Most times teammates will stick up for eachother in the media (Phanuef for Kessel etc) . Marchand actually dropped a similar line in interview. With Hamilton it was about work ethic and not wanting to develop 2 way game

I dont put stock into the media, I put stock in the teammates reactions and wordings

McDeathbyCheerios*

With Seguin it was about partying, but even then the players didnt come to his aid. Most times teammates will stick up for eachother in the media (Phanuef for Kessel etc) . Marchand actually dropped a similar line in interview. With Hamilton it was about work ethic and not wanting to develop 2 way game

I dont put stock into the media, I put stock in the teammates reactions and wordings
Media was right about Seguin. Great player but party's hard and seems like a ******. Which is a problem in close teams like Boston was.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Media was right about Seguin. Great player but party's hard and seems like a ******. Which is a problem in close teams like Boston was.

I would rather take a hard working partier like Seguin over a rumored guy who doesnt want to take strides to improve

Media ripped Seguin for partying, and I believe they were right (way, way too many rumors of some serious partying). However I dont really have an issue with guys partying.

In the NHL a guy is seen drunk at the bar and his character is taken through the mud. In the NFL/NBA this a daily occurance and almost expected and these guys perform at just as high or higher levels

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.

^me too. i just want to get better faster. i don't even care that we gave up #16 and #33 for Reinhart. if he can help us get better sooner, then i'm OK with the trade. same with #57, #79 and #184 for Cam Talbot. deep draft, but we need to start winning NOW so i am OK with this trade too.

and when you hear what the B's wanted from the Oilers and what they settled on from the Flames, it tells me they had no intention on trading Hamilton to the Oilers.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

Disagree. It doesn't matter how good the player is with a team like Boston. If their teammates want him gone, he's gone.

The trade still might actually work out better for us in the long run. There's a decent chance Hamilton never becomes more than a #2, while Reinhart becomes a #3, and Talbot is a legit starter.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I would rather take a hard working partier like Seguin over a rumored guy who doesnt want to take strides to improve

Media ripped Seguin for partying, and I believe they were right (way, way too many rumors of some serious partying). However I dont really have an issue with guys partying.

In the NHL a guy is seen drunk at the bar and his character is taken through the mud. In the NFL/NBA this a daily occurance and almost expected and these guys perform at just as high or higher levels
The basic confirmedish rumor which I can send you in a pm if you want was a very good reason to move him and shows the kind of guy he is. He was bad for the locker room...like really bad.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Couple things that make this trade almost impossible to ever be considered a win.

1. We gave up Marincin at the same time to make room for Reinhart and I think most would say Marincin was further along in his development than Reinhart. If Marincin carves out a successful top 4 career that's going to hurt the Reinhart acquisition.

2. We gave up extremely valuable picks in a very strong deep draft. If many of those player that we passed up on have great careers as well it's that much harder to approve of the Reinhart acquisition.

3. Reinhart post draft has not progressed as well as one would hope. Varying reports on him struggling have been made. Chiarelli just in his last interview for example did so. Trading for a guy struggling in any way seems a bit foolhardy.

The only way this trade ever looks great on paper is if all those other potential players have mediocre to terrible careers AND Griffin meets his original draft projections of a true top pairing type guy.

Armchair GMing is a bad idea. So many things in theory could be done. But the reality is actually trading for a great player, especially on defense, is extremely tough. If they are great, the GM obviously will not want to part ways. However, with the assets we gave up it is difficult not to imagine we could have gotten someone better than GR right now.

Only time will tell tho, and speculating right now is ultimately just a waste.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

If anybody would know for sure about dressing room issues it would have been Chiarelli.
Clearly Chiarelli wanted this player so I think you can effectively disregard all that nonsense.

Ultimately Calgary got a steal of a deal for a player that would have made the Oiler defence much better.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Couple things that make this trade almost impossible to ever be considered a win.

1. We gave up Marincin at the same time to make room for Reinhart and I think most would say Marincin was further along in his development than Reinhart. If Marincin carves out a successful top 4 career that's going to hurt the Reinhart acquisition.

2. We gave up extremely valuable picks in a very strong deep draft. If many of those player that we passed up on have great careers as well it's that much harder to approve of the Reinhart acquisition.

3. Reinhart post draft has not progressed as well as one would hope. Varying reports on him struggling have been made. Chiarelli just in his last interview for example did so. Trading for a guy struggling in any way seems a bit foolhardy.

The only way this trade ever looks great on paper is if all those other potential players have mediocre to terrible careers AND Griffin meets his original draft projections of a true top pairing type guy.

Armchair GMing is a bad idea. So many things in theory could be done. But the reality is actually trading for a great player, especially on defense, is extremely tough. If they are great, the GM obviously will not want to part ways. However, with the assets we gave up it is difficult not to imagine we could have gotten someone better than GR right now.

Only time will tell tho, and speculating right now is ultimately just a waste.
We could of gotten an older player past their prime or someone with 1 yr left...which really hurt our future.

All I care about is if Reinhart becomes a good top 4 guy. If he does I'm happy.

McDeathbyCheerios*

If anybody would know for sure about dressing room issues it would have been Chiarelli.
Clearly Chiarelli wanted this player so I think you can effectively disregard all that nonsense.

Ultimately Calgary got a steal of a deal for a player that would have made the Oiler defence much better.
Could if been he didn't fit in with the guys in Boston. Doesn't mean he wouldn't fit in here though.

Hard to tell the truth of this though.

We got the offense, Calgary got the defense...should be fun to watch

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

aah yeah, I think hes grown up. Elite player now

True, and id take him in a heartbeat. He has incredible potential

Either way this is a GR discussion so ill drop any mention of other players.

I expect GR to start in NHL but be sent down after nine or so games. I believe Nikitin will come to camp in shape and not be a tire fire. Hell be a capable bottom pairing guy so this will allow GR to be sent to the AHL to get a ton of ice. Maybe pair him and Nurse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad