Player Discussion Griffin Reinhart: Trade for, season expectations, all in here [UPD: Recalled]

Status
Not open for further replies.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I'm probably in the minority but I think Reinhart should be in the NHL... I know the traditional line of thinking is that you develop in the AHL and then come up to the NHL.

Well that works for some/most, but I watched Reinhart in the NHL with the Oilers and he didn't look out of place to me. I think he looked pretty solid defensively and he wasn't making major errors. He's not an offensive dman from what I've seen... and maybe that's what they want to try and squeeze out of him in the AHL, but I am pretty confident in saying he'd be one of the best 6 dmen on the Oilers (admittedly not a high bar to overcome on this team).

I personally think he was adapting well on the big club and would develop and learn better by playing against NHL competition.

That's likely not going to be a popular opinion as most will say the NHL isn't a development league... but of course it is. Every single player has to learn to adapt to the NHL with the bigger players and faster tempo... and you don't learn that in another league.

You do develop up to a certain level in the AHL but the NHL is a whole other level obviously and the only way to play and adapt to that highest level is to play games in the NHL... and every player (especially dmen) goes through that learning curve in the initial seasons in the league.

Last edited:

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Just as a side note... I was one of the few (maybe the only one in fact :) ) that wanted Draisaitl in the NHL for the whole year last season. I think that last half under Nelson (once the fraud was fired)... would have been beneficial for Draisaitl and he would have done well developing his game and getting more time at the NHL level.

Now obviously it worked out well for him when he was sent down as he went back to junior and was a beast... and he worked and trained his ass off in the off-season and has come out and been lights out for the Oilers this season.

Personally I thought Draisaitl would do well no matter what as he has the work ethic and skillset to excel if he put his mind to it... he knew he had to work on his few weaknesses and that's exactly what he did.

There's more than one route and path to the NHL... some players do best with more time in junior/AHL but in the end every player will need to adapt and learn at the NHL level and that can only come with actually playing games against the highest competition level in the NHL.

MPStoEberletoHall*

Hoping he can be similar to a Nik Hjalmarsson for us. He didn't become a regular member on a relatively weak Hawks D core until 5 years after his draft (2009-10).

Edit: In terms of Reinhart, that would mean next season (2016-17). Definitely on a similar track.

Are their games even comparable? Isn't Hammer a good skater? That's the thing that worries me about Griff. His skating has never been great, and imo it will hold him back until he improves.

I have no doubt in my mind if he was a good skater, he would be a solid 2nd pairing guy for us in the future.

rasarhdasd

Apr 12, 2013
I don't see how Reinhart even remotely compares to Hjalmarsson's ability to move the puck or skate.

PrinceOfPucks

Jan 4, 2016
How did Griffin do in Bakersfield ? Haven't followed him much but on paper it seems that he and Tinordi are tracking similarly

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
It would be nice to have another vet on the D core, I really wished we had gotten Oduya to go along with Sekera

PrinceOfPucks

Jan 4, 2016
Our new whipping boy has arrived. I am giving him 3 years before I call for a dog pile on the kid

It's inevitable that he will be the whipping boy.

1. He isn't as good as we thought he would be.

2. We could have had Barzal instead of him !!!

It's so ironic that non of the former Oil King studs have amounted to much after JR hockey. Lazar, Reinhart, Samuelsson

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
One thing is for sure, would much rather see what Reinhart can do than have to watch Brad Hunt for one more game.

This, I think, is universal. While I'd rather not see more of Reinhart-Gryba/Fayne (I think he needs a more mobile partner) it's immensely preferable to more Hunt.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Are their games even comparable? Isn't Hammer a good skater? That's the thing that worries me about Griff. His skating has never been great, and imo it will hold him back until he improves.

I have no doubt in my mind if he was a good skater, he would be a solid 2nd pairing guy for us in the future.

A less physical lefty Gudbranson was always my projection for him.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Just as a side note... I was one of the few (maybe the only one in fact :) ) that wanted Draisaitl in the NHL for the whole year last season. I think that last half under Nelson (once the fraud was fired)... would have been beneficial for Draisaitl and he would have done well developing his game and getting more time at the NHL level.

Now obviously it worked out well for him when he was sent down as he went back to junior and was a beast... and he worked and trained his ass off in the off-season and has come out and been lights out for the Oilers this season.

Personally I thought Draisaitl would do well no matter what as he has the work ethic and skillset to excel if he put his mind to it... he knew he had to work on his few weaknesses and that's exactly what he did.

There's more than one route and path to the NHL... some players do best with more time in junior/AHL but in the end every player will need to adapt and learn at the NHL level and that can only come with actually playing games against the highest competition level in the NHL.

Maybe but it's obvious that sending him down for the half season didnt hurt him at all and he wasnt getting any better in the NHL. Last season he played 37 games and had put up 9 points. This year so far he's played 39 and has 36 points, 4 times as many so clearly what he did is working. It's clearly noticeable how much his first step has improved along with his confidence, there's no guarantee he would have been able to improve here last year. He wasnt looking any better at the end of his 37 games than he was at the start. The point in sending him down wasnt that he for sure would be better served back in the minors but there was no downside to it and there was an obvious upside with fewer games and travel time and more chance to workout and practice. Long term development was more important than keeping him here in the NHL.

oilz89*

It's inevitable that he will be the whipping boy.

1. He isn't as good as we thought he would be.

2. We could have had Barzal instead of him !!!

It's so ironic that non of the former Oil King studs have amounted to much after JR hockey. Lazar, Reinhart, Samuelsson

3. Barzal is so good! He's right handed and small and he lead Canada to a 6th place finish!!!!!

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm probably in the minority but I think Reinhart should be in the NHL... I know the traditional line of thinking is that you develop in the AHL and then come up to the NHL.

Well that works for some/most, but I watched Reinhart in the NHL with the Oilers and he didn't look out of place to me. I think he looked pretty solid defensively and he wasn't making major errors. He's not an offensive dman from what I've seen... and maybe that's what they want to try and squeeze out of him in the AHL, but I am pretty confident in saying he'd be one of the best 6 dmen on the Oilers (admittedly not a high bar to overcome on this team).

I personally think he was adapting well on the big club and would develop and learn better by playing against NHL competition.

That's likely not going to be a popular opinion as most will say the NHL isn't a development league... but of course it is. Every single player has to learn to adapt to the NHL with the bigger players and faster tempo... and you don't learn that in another league.

You do develop up to a certain level in the AHL but the NHL is a whole other level obviously and the only way to play and adapt to that highest level is to play games in the NHL... and every player (especially dmen) goes through that learning curve in the initial seasons in the league.

I agree with this considering our current roster. I don't expect him to ever be an offensive D, and even with AHL time I don't think its really going to do much in changing that. I do however, think he's better off getting used to the speed and physical aspect of the NHL, as at the moment those are the areas he needs to work on the most. The only benefit I can really see of him in the AHL is maybe building confidence that he can physically dominate guys with his size.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
My professional projection for Barzal and Beauvillier.........I think the Isles let us off the hook a bit.

Hahaha love me some Farley. I'm not big on either Barzal or Beauvillier so Im not gonna be too broken up about people who say Reinhart won't amount to anything. There are some other guys who were available that I'd love to have, but not a huge deal either way.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
A less physical lefty Gudbranson was always my projection for him.

I'd be perfectly fine with that. Reinhart has some work to do though to get his skating and strength to Gudbranson level. Still young though so its possible. I just really hope he gets it through his head that he needs to bring his physicality more consistently.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
You know Reinhart has only played 14 games in the AHL this year, right?

I'm excited to see him back up here.

Actually I thought it was more than that...still almost 3 times a many as 5 games but thanks for pointing that out.

It will be very interesting to see how he plays in the NHL this time around.

victor

Sep 6, 2003
Actually I thought it was more than that...still almost 3 times a many as 5 games but thanks for pointing that out.

It will be very interesting to see how he plays in the NHL this time around.

If you want, all 14 games are available on AHL Live, and they offer discounts when you buy packages. Watch the games, and pay attention to how Fleming deployed him.

I spoke to what he was good at, and not good at, and gave a likely explanation for what Mr. Zerr was thinking. If you believe that I have bias, yep, probably do. So, likely does everyone else.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Our new whipping boy has arrived. I am giving him 3 years before I call for a dog pile on the kid

he's not a whipping boy, people just calling it as they see it. He's simply a victim of circumstance, and his own GM's idiotic decision to trade for him.

whipping boys his season are clearly RNH, Eberle to an extent and Yak.

Jun 9, 2011
He calms things down. He is cool under pressure and more often than not makes smart safe plays that get the puck safely out of the zone and headed in the right direction. That's what he brings and what his game is all about. If people aren't paying attention they miss this and can go home thinking he didn't do anything.

He seems bored or like he doesn't care. That's how cool he is. He rarely loses his composure.
:handclap: This is exactly what I see when I watch him. Effortless. Not that there is no effort, but he makes logical decisions. He is still young and will make mistakes, but I am probably one of the few who liked this trade.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
:handclap: This is exactly what I see when I watch him. Effortless. Not that there is no effort, but he makes logical decisions. He is still young and will make mistakes, but I am probably one of the few who liked this trade.

I saw the same. He looks about as calm as a D possibly could, makes a few mistakes, but for the most part knows what to do. I really hope he ups his physical consistency because he's a big kid and is more than capable of throwing punishing hits (he's already pretty good at breaking up the cycle). His skating isn't bad imo (its also not great either), its when he doesn't move his feet and lets himself get caught flat footed that you notice it as a problem. Thats another thing that I think is just a consistency issue of a young player that he'll learn to get out of his game, and I think he still has some room to improve his skating and strength a decent amount over the next few years. He did after all miss a lot of training time in the summers in junior due to some injuries and deep playoff/memorial cup runs.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Reinhart will be a worthy replacement for Davidson. Davidson was a solid defender here, and I ate crow in the eating crow thread about him. He had his ups and downs, and so did Reinhart in his time here earlier.

Our D is too young though, and this recall doesn't help that much. I can't see a better option for us out there though.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
If you want, all 14 games are available on AHL Live, and they offer discounts when you buy packages. Watch the games, and pay attention to how Fleming deployed him.

I spoke to what he was good at, and not good at, and gave a likely explanation for what Mr. Zerr was thinking. If you believe that I have bias, yep, probably do. So, likely does everyone else.

I was just commenting in general regarding most fans and their perspective. Its hard to get around the bias...human nature.

I appreciated your comments and meant to reply. At least you had some balance unlike some posters who only want to see the worst or the best and refuse to acknowledge beyond that.

It seems to me that there is genuine cause for concern with this player.

As for watching AHL games I have heard that the video quality was quite spotty and the pricing isnt very reasonable IMO..
In any event I will probably watch a 5 game pack just to check it out for myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad