Rumor: Greg Pateryn is available

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
He's a RD, and I would still rather keep the assets for Hunwick.

I'd take Marincin or even Marchenko if you want to do the RD/RD thing over paying any assets for Pateryn. Trade Hunwick for the 3rd or whatever he can get, do the same with Polak, and just use Marincin and Marchenko as your third pairing. Simple as that. You gain assets and cap space, and the bottom pairing is still pretty damn good.

For some reason there is some sort of bias against them that makes them seem a lot worse than they actually are.

Marincin is terrible at hockey, that might have something to do with the bias. Marchenko I can't comment on but I do hope he gets a chance to play soon

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
I will eat my shoe if he becomes a top 4 d man. If he were as good as you say, even if Montreal's talent assessment is that bad I'm sure another organization would have taken note of his skill and taken a flyer on him...

Saying he has top 4 potential and saying he will be a top 4 dmen are two really different things.

Examples?

They played DD as their #1 center for a long time, played Flynn, Mitchell, Weise in top 6 roles, thought Shaw would be a difference maker for this team, JDLR over a ton of more deserving guys...

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Probably worth a forward in the same situation as him?

Do STL need a D?

Pateryn for Yak

Blues have too much RD as it is, and they already have a Pateryn-esque player in Bortuzzo.

I wonder if the Kings would be interested. With Greene on IR and Gilbert out via trade, could they use the RD depth? Plus, Pateryn's wife is from Orange County.

The question is: what does MTL want in return? A roster player, a minor leaguer or a draft pick?

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I'm not surprised at all given how they've handled him, but I don't see why they'd move him. He's a great #6 d-man. Especially behind two very good RHD in Weber and Petry. That's a rock solid right side.

Habs need to work with:

XXXX - Weber
Beaulieu - Petry
Nesterov - Pateryn

Work in Juulsen and push Nesterov/Pateryn down to the #7D spot. Sergachev ought to take the top LHD spot sooner than later. Emelin/Markov in the meantime. Really, I'm thinking the Habs are fine. #wayofftopic

hockeyheadlines

Oct 9, 2016
Canada
It was rumored the yotes wanted McCaron and a 1st for Hanzal, you counter with Pateryn and a 2nd?

Pretty sure that doesn't get you Hanzal, some team will overpay for him

What they want and what they get, are two different things. I wanted a T-Bone steak, I got a hamburger.

Bet you he's injured before trade deadline next week.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
All I'm saying is saying a 26 year who has never even been a full time NHLer has top 4 potential is a HELL of a stretch.

Yeah, it absolutely is from an outsider's perspective but when you actually follow the team and know that he's excellent defensively, physical, has a booming shot and got an unfair treatment for the most part of the last 2 years which hampered his learning curve, it's not that huge a stretch.

Draft Dynasty

Oct 28, 2014
Pateryn and Beaulieu where extremely good in pre season together.. DOnt know what they are waiting for.

Stupid to trade him now when is at an alltime low in value.. Think he could be a solid number 5.. He just need coaches confidence.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
They played DD as their #1 center for a long time, played Flynn, Mitchell, Weise in top 6 roles, thought Shaw would be a difference maker for this team, JDLR over a ton of more deserving guys...

How does playing DD as the #1 center implies that the habs are not good at assessing talent?
And Flynn, Mitchell, DLR almost never played in a top 6 role...

Weise played in the top because we lacked top 6 players. And the season he played in the top 6, he scored 14 goals in 56 games. Before joining the habs, he was regarded as a 4th liner. After playing for the habs, he was regarded as a good 3rd liner.
If anything this says that they know who has talent.

Shaw was never brought in to be a difference maker... Except maybe for the playoffs.
He also only played 45 games with the habs...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad