Rumor: Greg Pateryn is available

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
not giving up assets for a guy they would have to expose to vegas.
Marcenko fills a similar role once Polak is moved

This is the #1 reason why no moves will be made by us.
Lou knows, but he also has to think about Vegas.

Just curious, but are you guys against adding anybody for the stretch drive plus playoffs? Just trying to get a feel for how Leafs fans feel.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
While most young Habs players suffered under Therrien's tenure, as he is a lousy development coach, by posting those comments on twitter she basically just punched his ticket out of Montreal.

I'd do this.
I've been curious to see what Yak would do if reunited with Chucky.
By no means a huge deal, it would be worth a shot if you ask me.

I'm tired of putting 3rd liners next to him, he can't carry a line yet so it only hurts him everytime. I say we just take the pick and move on

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I watched him play a couple times in the OHL.
Sergachev is not ready to play in the NHL.
Gonna be a couple years for him.
Next year they can move him up to the AHL, but that's about it.

Sergachev is not eligible for the AHL next season. His status next season will be the same as this season -- either NHL or OHL. Any player under a CHL contract when drafted into the NHL must use up his CHL eligibility (not including overage year) before being eligible for AHL or ECHL. Sergachev has one more year of OHL eligibility.

Yoor

Mar 17, 2015
I know what you're saying, but I mean, it's not like he said it.

I think if they trade him it's because they wanted to trade him, not necessarily because of this. Certainly not only because of this.

And Bergy's pretty good with players, he might trade him to give him a chance to actually play somewhere too.

Personally I hope they don't trade him. I'm a Pateryn fan. I still don't understand why he was taken out of the roster at the beginning of the season when the Habs were winning.

exactly this! and in addition to this, why Beaulieu was removed from the weber pairing when we were winning....those 2 moves have really hurt both these guys confidence and development...thanks MT.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Agreed. A centre would be nice, but I don't think it's necessary.

Hansen is nothing more than a middle-six winger which we have plenty of. Lehkonen, Shaw, Byron can all play 2nd or 3rd line. Adding another play of that ilk will not make the Habs much better. Those 3 wingers are fine and all but without a competent center they cannot do much. Will be the same story if we add Hansen. They have to play with Plekanec or Desharnais which completely ruins them.

What we need is either
1) A quality 2nd line center who can produce points to slot behind Chucky and relieve some pressure off him (Hanzal seems to be a good bet here)
2) Or a full-fledged superstar ala Duchene which we acquire in a big deal for Sergachyev or McCarron

The Habs won't be going anywhere with a strugglin Chucky at 1C, soft Plekanec at 2C and Danault as 3C (well Danault is fine). Realistically Galchenyuk-Hanzal-Danault looks pretty good at C, and Plekanec gets 10 minutes of ice time on the 4th line.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
underrated dman, dunno why we'd moving him. hes a great bottom pairing defensive dman with a very good slapper..

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Just curious, but are you guys against adding anybody for the stretch drive plus playoffs? Just trying to get a feel for how Leafs fans feel.

I am, I want to sell Hunwick and Polak and not buy anyone that doesn't help us for years to come. Live and die by what we have for this year anyway

Jul 6, 2016
Hansen is nothing more than a middle-six winger which we have plenty of. Lehkonen, Shaw, Byron can all play 2nd or 3rd line. Adding another play of that ilk will not make the Habs much better. Those 3 wingers are fine and all but without a competent center they cannot do much. Will be the same story if we add Hansen. They have to play with Plekanec or Desharnais which completely ruins them.

What we need is either
1) A quality 2nd line center who can produce points to slot behind Chucky and relieve some pressure off him (Hanzal seems to be a good bet here)
2) Or a full-fledged superstar ala Duchene which we acquire in a big deal for Sergachyev or McCarron

The Habs won't be going anywhere with a strugglin Chucky at 1C, soft Plekanec at 2C and Danault as 3C (well Danault is fine). Realistically Galchenyuk-Hanzal-Danault looks pretty good at C, and Plekanec gets 10 minutes of ice time on the 4th line.

A 6 million $ guy on a 4th line ? Forget it. He play at least on the third, or he will get traded soon or during the Summer.

BobbyShehan

May 29, 2008
NJ
Therrien's "system", applied throughout the organization, has managed to damage or ruin pretty much all of their kids development. There was no room for teaching or improving individual skills as all the focus was placed on the team's "system". Pateryn hasn't played in about 2 years. His statistics don't show what he can still do, given an opportunity. Hopefully, Julien is a better coach but if I'm Pateryn, I'm asking to get the hell out of there. So should Hudon. Julien has to change this and hire coaches who can teach something else than zone play. They draft good talent but they just can't develop the guys. Pateryn has been confined to a role that doesn't suit him. He's not a typical stay at home D as he's prone to mistakes but he could still be reverted to what he was before as a physical player who can carry the puck out of the zone and has a very good shot from the point.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
A 6 million $ guy on a 4th line ? Forget it. He play at least on the third, or he will get traded soon or during the Summer.

Nobody wants him, he will probably remain with the Habs. But he's not good enough to play top-9 any more. I dont think they care about his salary right now, the only important thing is to win. He can help us playing 10-12 mins a night on the 4th line. He is good defensively and can skate well. Pair him with 2 intense/physical players and he would do fine.

Bergevin needs to improve the top-9 and that starts with upgrading Plekanec.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
The problem I see with keeping Pateryn isn't just "Sorry coach, my wife was just joking." But also, calling him another same "french bleep" when you're in a french market is gonna draw a lot of fan backlash. Especially when he's a tweener.

hockeyheadlines

Oct 9, 2016
Canada
The problem I see with keeping Pateryn isn't just "Sorry coach, my wife was just joking." But also, calling him another same "french bleep" when you're in a french market is gonna draw a lot of fan backlash. Especially when he's a tweener.

There hasn't been any backlash or any call to arms over this incident. The backlash if any, comes from the exterior. Since we lost Barberio not long ago, moving Pateryn is unlikely.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Yeah, it absolutely is from an outsider's perspective but when you actually follow the team and know that he's excellent defensively, physical, has a booming shot and got an unfair treatment for the most part of the last 2 years which hampered his learning curve, it's not that huge a stretch.

I do actually follow the team, he's been through waivers before, do you really think you see something that every single NHL executive hasn't?? Even if he at one point had top 4 potential, he isn't going to get those two years back. He can probably carve out a spot as an above average #5 or 6, expecting any more than that is going to leave a team disappointed

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
I do actually follow the team, he's been through waivers before, do you really think you see something that every single NHL executive hasn't?? Even if he at one point had top 4 potential, he isn't going to get those two years back. He can probably carve out a spot as an above average #5 or 6, expecting any more than that is going to leave a team disappointed

waivers? when exactly was that?

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Sergachev is not eligible for the AHL next season. His status next season will be the same as this season -- either NHL or OHL. Any player under a CHL contract when drafted into the NHL must use up his CHL eligibility (not including overage year) before being eligible for AHL or ECHL. Sergachev has one more year of OHL eligibility.

Thanks for clarifying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad