Sportsnet: Greg Brady Tavares done with NYI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
What if a team gives a first rounder to complete the deal thinking they will definitely sign him and he doesnt but goes back to the Islanders. Could that be something that happens?
Yes.

Blues aren't being shy about moving the 29th pick for someone now. If JT sees Stl as a destination, then Armstrong wouldn't risk him getting to FA.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
completely agree with your premise. Although, we could move Faulk and Rask for about anything and then move Lindholm in a rights swap with NYI. All that salary moving would equate to what we would pay JT. Again very unlikely that we do it or have what JT is looking for. Just dreaming.
Dundon will open up the checkbook if there is legit possibility of getting Tavares. He's stated on multiple occasions he's not in the business to spend for the sake of spending, but has also said if there is an opportunity available to seriously improve the team, he'll do so. Tavares is one of the few times where there is no argument against it being worth the cost. With Necas, 2OA (Svechnikov) already coming in next year, adding Tavares would undoubtedly push the Canes into contention and would bring the fans back to the gate.

Money won't be the reason Tavares doesn't sign in Raleigh. He just has his sights set on a more sure thing to win now. I get that, and won't blame him for doing what he is about to do.

Reactions: DaveG

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Yes.

Blues aren't being shy about moving the 29th pick for someone now. If JT sees Stl as a destination, then Armstrong wouldn't risk him getting to FA.

Yea I mean if he gets to FA he could just go back to the Islanders who just gave them a free first rounder. Would be kind of a dick move but not their fault the other team was really trying hard to sign him.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Not sure why people would instantly dismiss the idea that Tavares wouldn't be happy about this.

If Tavares believes that Weight has been treated unfairly? If he believes that Weight has been fired without a clear plan on the next step? If he believes the guy they are targeting is the wrong guy? Any of those could have an impact on how he views signing an extension.

To say that it's simply because Weight is a friend is an oversimplification. It might impact his perspective on how Weight has been treated though.

Having watched the organisation being badly managed for years, it's understandable if he isn't exactly confident of the new direction. Even if it is with new management.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I don't believe this for a second. JT understands that this is a business and a new GM will want his own coach. If he leaves I sincerely doubt it's because of a coaching change, it'll be likely because JT made his mind up to exercise his market options and had an inkling to leave prior.

In either case he'll take a discount to sign with his good buddy Steven Stamkos in the offseason

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
What if a team gives a first rounder to complete the deal thinking they will definitely sign him and he doesnt but goes back to the Islanders. Could that be something that happens?

Sure, if a team gives up a 1st for his rights that could happen.

Do you think a team is going to give up a 1st for his rights though? The highest I could see is a 2nd or 3rd with a conditional tag being that the pick upgrades to a 1st if Tavares signs.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Dundon will open up the checkbook if there is legit possibility of getting Tavares. He's stated on multiple occasions he's not in the business to spend for the sake of spending, but has also said if there is an opportunity available to seriously improve the team, he'll do so. Tavares is one of the few times where there is no argument against it being worth the cost. With Necas, 2OA (Svechnikov) already coming in next year, adding Tavares would undoubtedly push the Canes into contention and would bring the fans back to the gate.

Money won't be the reason Tavares doesn't sign in Raleigh. He just has his sights set on a more sure thing to win now. I get that, and won't blame him for doing what he is about to do.

The opportunity is there but unless we come in with a solid plan/guarantee to get a solid starting goalie, JT jumps elsewhere. Also our garbage practice arena doesnt help with getting FAs either. It can be done but it is an extreme long shot for us.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
The Isles were tight lipped when Snow was in charge, it's going to stay that way with Lou. The Islanders get no media attention even in their home market, how is a radio guy in Toronto have a freaking clue to exactly what is going on? You can play 6 degrees of John Tavares until you're blue in the face, this has no credibility.

You're right that this guy is not Bobby Mac or Friedman.
Tavares still calls Mississauga home. Better chance of gleaning information in the Toronto area.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Thats what Im saying. Some team could be desperate to give up assets just for an opportunity to talk before anybody else can.
I could see a team trading something smaller for his rights with something more going to the Islanders if JT signs with the team he's traded to.

Reactions: dood

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
There are more reasons to believe: (i) he made the whole thing up; or (ii) he got this "scoop" from sources anyone would know are unreliable. This is because it makes no sense.

Frankly, it would not shock me if Brady is parroting a certain "insider" who recently came out of "retirement," supposedly a former NHLer who forgot what city he was drafted in. Do not view the tweet below without the special safety glasses, and be clear I'm only posting it to show that this "rumor" was posted the day before Brady came out with his supposed scoop:

I think we need to be little more realistic than that sportsnet doesn't use that guy as a source

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
The opportunity is there but unless we come in with a solid plan/guarantee to get a solid starting goalie, JT jumps elsewhere. Also our garbage practice arena doesnt help with getting FAs either. It can be done but it is an extreme long shot for us.
I'm not worried about the practice arena, Dundon has already committed funds to getting that resolved. Just has to get the location squared away. If anything, we might be able to make that part of the sell to Tavares if we allow him to be a part of that design process. No argument about goalie, however.

But as I said, money won't be the reason he doesn't sign here.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Yea I mean if he gets to FA he could just go back to the Islanders who just gave them a free first rounder. Would be kind of a dick move but not their fault the other team was really trying hard to sign him.
I doubt it. If hes going to re sign with the Islanders, it'll happen before July. If they trade his rights, hes gone. I only see your scenario in TDL deals

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
St. Louis didn't make the playoffs.
Didn’t St. Louis retire?

866C701C-B97F-441C-90B8-0623B62E3CBC.jpeg

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
If LL were trying to trade JT's rights, don't y'all think we'd have gotten confirmation? I mean, it wouldn't exactly be a secret if NHL GMs all knew that LL was trying to trade JT's rights.

Reactions: PWJunior

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
If LL were trying to trade JT's rights, don't y'all think we'd have gotten confirmation? I mean, it wouldn't exactly be a secret if NHL GMs all knew that LL was trying to trade JT's rights.
Depends how long and how privately he’s been trying.
Likely he called those few he can trust to keep it quiet, before he goes league wide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad