Sportsnet: Greg Brady Tavares done with NYI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Yeah, except no one is floating the Panthers as a possible destination. Also, you know who else are not typical non-playoff cellar dwellar teams? Chicago, Minnesota, Nashville and now Winnipeg is going to be good for a while and Dallas and Colorado are no slouches either. Even with Tavares, St. Louis isn't likely to be a favorite to get to the Western Conference Finals.
Was Vegas? Was Washington?

gdsmack267

Sep 11, 2010
Rochester, NY
A team that trades for his rights can still only offer him 7 years.

Why? i thought the only advantage to trading for his rights is that it gives your team the only advantage of being able to offer that 8th year. If you own the contract why would you not be able to offer him 8?

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
I'm not saying that firing Weight was a bad move at all. It was a good move. Watching Islanders forwards constantly fly the zone at all the wrong times must have been hell for you.

But from JT's perspective it could be JUST ONE MORE SMALL NUDGE to make him want to look elsewhere as he is going from a known to an unknown with the coach leaving.
Unless Lou brings in a top tier coach, something Tavares hasnt had with the islanders.

Tavares has been in the division with the Pens who have won cups and yet make coaching changes. I dont think the change at the HC position would be seen as negative because Weight isnt accomplished and clearly was in over his head.

The one thing that is clear with Tavares is he wants to play for a winning organization, which those types of organizations dont allow mediocrity in their staff.

In turn remedying the team of Weight only should be seen as positive step in showing Tavares we arent a second rate team going forward with Lou.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Why? i thought the only advantage to trading for his rights is that it gives your team the only advantage of being able to offer that 8th year. If you own the contract why would you not be able to offer him 8?

The player has to be on your reserve list at the previous Trade Deadline, AND signed before July 1st of that offseason.

If you trade his rights, the 8th year option is gone.

I don't like the rule, but that is the rule.

Isles can sign and trade, I understand it's never been done, but we've also never seen this big a ticket of a free agent go to free agency. Stamkos came closest, but Tampa hammered out the details right before the start of free agency and got him that 8th year

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
He was 6th in Norris voting last year and was injured this year but thanks for calling me dumb you insolent f***.

Edit: please name me 10 dmen that are better than Weber right now, not will be better in a few years. (players like provorov etc)

Norris votes mean nothing. Check the stats, then note Weber's age. He's got maybe one more year of this level. He's signed thru eternity

Reactions: Brock Radunske

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Likely? Lol
like·ly
ˈlīklē/
adjective
adjective: likely; comparative adjective: likelier; superlative adjective: likeliest
  1. 1.
    such as well might happen or be true; probable.
    "the likely effects of the drought on sugar beet yields"
    synonyms:probable, distinctly possible, to be expected, odds-on, possible, plausible, imaginable; More
    expected, anticipated, predictable, predicted, foreseeable;
    informalin the cards
    "it seemed likely that a scandal would break"
    [TBODY] [/TBODY]
    antonyms:improbable, impossible
    [TBODY] [/TBODY]
    apparently suitable; promising.
    "a likely-looking spot"
    synonyms:suitable, appropriate, apposite, fit, fitting, acceptable, right; More
    promising, hopeful
    "a likely place for a picnic"
    [TBODY] [/TBODY]
adverb
adverb: likely
  1. 1.
    probably.
    "we will most likely go to a bar"
    synonyms:probably, in all probability, presumably, no doubt, doubtlessly;
    informal(as) like as not, chances are
    "he was likely dead"
    [TBODY] [/TBODY]
Origin
upload_2018-6-6_12-23-30.png

Middle English: from Old Norse líkligr, from líkr (see like1).

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Unless Lou brings in a top tier coach, something Tavares hasnt had with the islanders.

Tavares has been in the division with the Pens who have won cups and yet make coaching changes. I dont think the change at the HC position would be seen as negative because Weight isnt accomplished and clearly was in over his head.

The one thing that is clear with Tavares is he wants to play for a winning organization, which those types of organizations dont allow mediocrity in their staff.

In turn remedying the team of Weight only should be seen as positive step in showing Tavares we arent a second rate team going forward with Lou.

Yes but more of those guys are employed by other teams than unemployed.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I can’t see Tavares and his agent dragging it along this far and not testing free agency. Not to say he won’t re-sign with NYI if he doesn’t like the other teams sales pitches but he’s too close now.

You would think, but Stamkos did the exact same thing.

bigbadbruins1

Dec 12, 2008
Everyone get an early talk with him though. It just doesn't seem worth it at this point to give much of value. JT and his agent should know this as well. If it's not Islanders then spend that whole week before and even after July 1st interviewing with teams in their cities.

Don't think I'd give much more than a late round pick right now to talk to him.

I could see a team giving up a 3rd for his rights, but JT could mess with the Isles by saying he isn't talking contract until he is UFA.
In my perfect world we trade/ drop krejci and have Bergeron and Tavares. Never going to happen but I can dream.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
You would think, but Stamkos did the exact same thing.

No.

How NHL 'interview period' improves free agency - Sportsnet.ca

OK, so teams, agents and players are not supposed to hammer out the specifics of a contract during the six-day period that opens Wednesday at 12:01 a.m. ET and lasts until free agency opens up for real at 12:01 p.m. ET on July 1. At 12:01 a.m. ET on July 1, restricted free agents can also be courted for a 12-hour period before the opening of free agency.
But they can go down every other road, like getting a feel for whether or not one side is talking two-year deal and the other is talking six years. With as much money at stake as there is on July 1, is it hard not to agree that the “interview period” is a far more civilized way of doing business.

Stamkos signed his contract around 11:30AM as far as I remember, which is prior to the 12:01PM Free Agency Opening Time

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
That's a lot of trading
One or two trades is a lot of trading? Buying out Martin saves $2.83M against the cap this year. They could try and trade him, but I doubt anyone would take him without SJ giving up something of value since he cleared waivers last year. So let's just say buy out Martin and trade one of their defensemen then.

Noodletoro

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Worth, TX
What am I missing with San Jose? They'll have $12 million in space with the $5 million cap bump and they still have to re-sign Hertl, Tierney and maybe Thornton. Where does $10 to $12 million came from for Tavares?

Some Sharks fans have deluded themselves into thinking that they can just make multiple buyouts and trades and everything will be fine.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
Jersey!
How is Weight on the PP? We need someone now that Geoff is gone and what better a way to invite JT into town!

This is some college football level scheming but I'm all for it, let's go.

Any family members need a job JT?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This is some college football level scheming but I'm all for it, let's go.

Any family members need a job JT?
Also, a fairly common tactic in Major Junior. See Michael Nylander being an assistant in Sauga or Dave Gagner being an assistant in London.

Klaus3154

Apr 22, 2018
New York
I still can’t believe he won’t resign with the Islanders. Could Snow be really that dumb? How could he not be traded at the deadline. It’s not even like they were poised to make a playoff run. If Nash got the Rangers all that from Boston I can only imagine what a team would have paid for JT.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Sportsnet's Greg Brady reports John Tavares is done with the NYI and his decision was made when Weight was fired, Lou is reportedly looking to trade his rights.

IF it's true where do you think he goes?

As much as I want him in Toronto I think he goes to Vegas

If these reports are to be believed, it sounds like he goes to whichever team gives Doug Weight a job.

Reactions: dano16
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad