Sportsnet: Greg Brady Tavares done with NYI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Sportsnet's Greg Brady reports John Tavares is done with the NYI and his decision was made when Weight was fired, Lou is reportedly looking to trade his rights.

IF it's true where do you think he goes?

As much as I want him in Toronto I think he goes to Vegas

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
There are quite a few teams that can use his services and afford him.. Lou could get a pretty good return for his rights

Reactions: uncleben

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I still can't believe the Islanders didn't trade him at the deadline when he still not signed to an extension at that point. This isn't just hindsight, I said it at the time, it just seems really irresponsible.

I can't see his rights being worth a lot, unless they are going to go outside of the box and try to work out a sign and trade for an 8 year contract. If I recall, that is something that hasn't happened yet in the cap era, so I am not sure how plausible it is.

Something like a 2nd or 3rd round pick that becomes a 1st if Tavares signs might be fair for his rights if there is no 8 year sign and trade involved and it is purely a deal for Tavares rights. I can't see why Tavares would sign anywhere before July 1st though, so it really doesn't make much sense for a team to give up major assets.

The only way I can see trading significant assets for Tavares rights in the blind hope that he signs working would be if a team is going to overpay and offer him something like a max AAV (16M per season x 7 years). A type of take it or leave it offer that Tavares has to sign before July 1st, and that might not be there afterwards. Tavares isn't a 2nd/3rd liner like Soderberg who had his rights traded, was offered a solid deal by COL, and was smart enough to take it while it was on the table instead of risking COL moving on and other offers not being as good after July 1st. He is a superstar who knows that almost every team will line up to try and sign him. So if a team gives up assets for his rights, they have to be prepared to go all in and offer him something ridiculous.

Reactions: DaveG

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
Of all the problems that the Isles have when it comes to retaining or attracting talent -- lack of success in recent memory and a highly uncertain and unfavorable arena situation just two name two -- it would be really bizarre if Doug Weight staying would be the most important thing to Tavares. And if it were, you would think he would make that really clear to ownership and Lou who would have kept him around if that's what it would have taken. And no, the trading his rights thing is not going to bring back meaningful compensation.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
That is true. I doubt Tavares makes it to FA. His rights would be moved first. NYI would get something from his rights because anyone would want an early contract discussion.
Everyone get an early talk with him though. It just doesn't seem worth it at this point to give much of value. JT and his agent should know this as well. If it's not Islanders then spend that whole week before and even after July 1st interviewing with teams in their cities.

Don't think I'd give much more than a late round pick right now to talk to him.

Reactions: DaveG
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad