Sportsnet: Greg Brady Tavares done with NYI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Lmao, so Lou who met with Tavares a week or so back just up and alienates the franchise cornerstone by firing his friends?

I feel like I heard the same thing when the Islanders traded best friend Matt Moulson, that Tavares was done with the Islanders.

Tavares is 27 years old, hes not a child. If John was really that tied to Weight he would have signed when Weight was named coach. Moreover, the sentiment has been Tavares wants to win more than anything, in turn why would he hitch his wagon to Weight who doesnt have any track record of success as a HC?

Let's be logical here, one of two things is happening...

1) Lou gauged Tavares feelings about fixing up elements of the organization, and John gave the man with cup rings his blessing.

Or

2) Lou gauged Tavares feelings about fixing up elements of the organization, and John said hed leave if those guys were fired, and Lou realized he cant have someone that naive/idiotic as the cornerstone of his team. Thus, he fires them and moves on without Tavares.

Either way Lou comes out on top here.

*All else aside I have maintained Tavares was leaving before the season even started. I sincerely doubt firing Weight/Snow has anything to do with it.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
The Isles were tight lipped when Snow was in charge, it's going to stay that way with Lou. The Islanders get no media attention even in their home market, how is a radio guy in Toronto have a freaking clue to exactly what is going on? You can play 6 degrees of John Tavares until you're blue in the face, this has no credibility.

You're right that this guy is not Bobby Mac or Friedman.
You don’t have to actually be in the nhl, ohl or any other league to have connections. He might know people close to him.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
You really think somebody would give up a 1st without knowing he'd sign you need to be a little more realistic

Not saying that they would. Just that some team could be crazy enough to and thats part of the reason why you put this out there like this. You gotta try to get what you can in this league sometimes.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Dundon will open up the checkbook if there is legit possibility of getting Tavares. He's stated on multiple occasions he's not in the business to spend for the sake of spending, but has also said if there is an opportunity available to seriously improve the team, he'll do so. Tavares is one of the few times where there is no argument against it being worth the cost. With Necas, 2OA (Svechnikov) already coming in next year, adding Tavares would undoubtedly push the Canes into contention and would bring the fans back to the gate.

Money won't be the reason Tavares doesn't sign in Raleigh. He just has his sights set on a more sure thing to win now. I get that, and won't blame him for doing what he is about to do.

If you knew Darling was going to bounce back or you knew Carolina had a deal in place to get a new goalie, that is where I would go if I was JT.

But I am not. And Carolina still has an awful goalie situation.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Lmao, so Lou who met with Tavares a week or so back just up and alienates the franchise cornerstone by firing his friends?

I feel like I heard the same thing when the Islanders traded best friend Matt Moulson, that Tavares was done with the Islanders.

Tavares is 27 years old, hes not a child. If John was really that tied to Weight he would have signed when Weight was named coach. Moreover, the sentiment has been Tavares wants to win more than anything, in turn why would he hitch his wagon to Weight who doesnt have any track record of success as a HC?

1) Lou gauged Tavares feelings about fixing up elements of the organization, and John gave the man with cup rings his blessing.

Or

2) Lou gauged Tavares feelings about fixing up elements of the organization, and John said hed leave if those guys were fired, and Lou realized he cant have someone that naive/idiotic as the cornerstone of his team. Thus, he fires them and moves on without Tavares.

*All else aside I have maintained Tavares was leaving before the season even started. I sincerely doubt firing Weight/Snow has anything to do with it.

I like Lou, he did a great job in Toronto and I wanted him to stay. That said if he loses John Tavares there is no way he comes out on top that notion is ridiculous

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I believe a team would have had to have him signed at the TDL for them to be eligible for the 8th year?

The Isles can sign him with that 8th year up until June 30th, then they can trade him at any time.

That's the only way another team would get the 8th year. It's probably the only way the Isles get any value out of Taveres as an asset at this point. His negotiation rights alone aren't worth more than a mid-round pick, since one he is traded, you're stuck signing him to a 7 year deal.

If Tavares wants $95M (arbitrary number, pulled it out of my ass):
8 years would result in a $11.875M cap hit
7 years would result in a $13.57M cap hit

That $2M/year difference in salary is definitely worth a 3rd round pick at least

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Serious question, I thought that enabled them to sign him to the 8th year? If they signed him before July 1st? Or did I misunderstand that rule?

The rule is you have to have the player on your reserve list at the trade deadline AND sign him prior to July 1st in order to be able to use the 8th year

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Or

I could see Weight being the "final straw". e.g. if you are starting over with a new coach for the Islanders, why not start over with a new coach somewhere else.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
What am I missing with San Jose? They'll have $12 million in space with the $5 million cap bump and they still have to re-sign Hertl, Tierney and maybe Thornton. Where does $10 to $12 million came from for Tavares?
Buy out or trade Paul Martin. Trade Boedker and/or Braun or Dillon.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
I like Lou, he did a great job in Toronto and I wanted him to stay. That said if he loses John Tavares there is no way he comes out on top that notion is ridiculous
Did you read my post?

If Tavares leaves because of Weight/Snow being fired, than Lou absolutely comes out on top. You never ever put one player above the entire organization.

At no point did I say outright losing Tavares would have Lou coming out on top.

Like I have said, i maint Tavare was leaving back in last July when he didnt reup.

I just think the notion that Tavares is leaving based on some nepotistic conjecture is absurd.

And if the case really boils down to JT leaving over this, than yes Lou comes out on top because you dont hold an entire organization hostage for a single player.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
I could see Weight being the "final straw". e.g. if you are starting over with a new coach for the Islanders, why not start over with a new coach somewhere else.
Because you want to play for a more qualified coach? Why should the entire roster suffer at Weight's ineptitude at the hands of one player?

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
While you are correct about this this year, they are not a typical non playoff cellar dweller team.
They have been a perennial playoff team for a long time and they are likely a lot closer than say Florida or the Isles.
Yeah, except no one is floating the Panthers as a possible destination. Also, you know who else are not typical non-playoff cellar dwellar teams? Chicago, Minnesota, Nashville and now Winnipeg is going to be good for a while and Dallas and Colorado are no slouches either. Even with Tavares, St. Louis isn't likely to be a favorite to get to the Western Conference Finals.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Not sure what to believe on the Islanders internal workings on their coaching staff and management. But it is looking more and more like Tavares is going to test free agency, at least until we see some indications he'll re-sign with the Islanders, which there are no indications he will as of yet. That's not to say he goes to free agency and goes elsewhere, but as of now, it has the appearance that he is going to test the market. And who can blame him honestly.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Because you want to play for a more qualified coach? Why should the entire roster suffer at Weight's ineptitude at the hands of one player?

I'm not saying that firing Weight was a bad move at all. It was a good move. Watching Islanders forwards constantly fly the zone at all the wrong times must have been hell for you.

But from JT's perspective it could be JUST ONE MORE SMALL NUDGE to make him want to look elsewhere as he is going from a known to an unknown with the coach leaving.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
I can’t see Tavares and his agent dragging it along this far and not testing free agency. Not to say he won’t re-sign with NYI if he doesn’t like the other teams sales pitches but he’s too close now.

Reactions: ivanlwan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->