Greatest Goal Scorers Of All-Time: #1

Who is the greatest goal scorer of all-time?

• Gordie Howe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bobby Hull

• Pavel Bure

• Brett Hull

• Charlie Conacher

• Joe Malone

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Kind of telling that Bossy has 2 votes and Bobby Hull has 0.

Once again, Bossy proves to be the most overrated goal-scorer of all-time.

Still a top-10 and closer to 5th than 10th spot.

As for the poll, I voted Ovechkin. Could have gone with Hull or even Lemieux.

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
Kind of telling that Bossy has 2 votes and Bobby Hull has 0.

Once again, Bossy proves to be the most overrated goal-scorer of all-time.

Still a top-10 and closer to 5th than 10th spot.

As for the poll, I voted Ovechkin. Could have gone with Hull or even Lemieux.
How is Bossy overrated? You seem to say he doesn't belong in the top 10, what makes you say that? Is it just because of his goals total?

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
1. Bossy
2. Ovechkin
3. Lemieux
No disrespect but why do people continue to bring up Bossy in these debates? Because he has a high GPG? Well, playing in the highest scoring era in hockey history + leaving the game at age 30 will do that for you.

He had 2 #1 goal-finishes in his whole career and was severely out-classed by Gretzky. Bossy had 30 more goals over the course of his career than Wayne... in 120 more games

Bossy is 100% out of this race

GrandmaCookie

Feb 10, 2019
I literally said he's top-10 and closer to 5th than 10th spot.

He's not the best or greatest ever. He was not as good as Gretzky. That alone disqualifies him.
Bad reading comprehension on my part then. Taught you said still a top 10 like it was a mistake to put him in a top 10 for vote.

To be honest I'm too young to have seen Lemieux/Gretzky and Bossy in their prime, only saw highlight and I hardly saw any difference from these clips between the three. Lemieux seemed to have greater hands, but Bossy had a hell of a shot.

My opinion is probably not worthy thought since I went for the guy with the highest GPG mostly and some clip on youtube.

Reactions: slapKing and Plural

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Bad reading comprehension on my part then. Taught you said still a top 10 like it was a mistake to put him in a top 10 for vote.

To be honest I'm too young to have seen Lemieux/Gretzky and Bossy in their prime, only saw highlight and I hardly saw any difference from this clip between the three. Lemieux seemed to have greater hands, but Bossy had a hell of a shot.

My opinion is probably not worthy thought since I went for the guy with the highest GPG mostly and some clip on youtube.

Bossy had an amazing shot and his accuracy with it was just something else.

The reason why I think he's not in the race for #1, is that when he played at the same time as Gretzky, the Great One absolutely murdered him in both raw goals, GPG and top-finishes. Gretzky led the league in goals with 92, that's over 20 goals better than what Bossy ever did.

They played at their prime at the same time. Gretzky led the league in goals 5 times and Bossy 2. Gretzky scored 92, 87, 85 goals in a season. Bossy never broke 70.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Ovechkin has it all - peak, prime, longevity.

Peak: Highest goal scoring season of his era, and highest adjusted total.
Prime: Led the NHL in goals the most times (9). Second place is Bobby Hull at 7. Leads his generation by more than 50% over the second best.
Longevity: 4th all time, soon to be 3rd. Will be 2nd at some point during next season. Chance to break all-time record despite playing in a lower scoring era.

Reactions: Randyne

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Lemieux for me. His reg season + playoff goalscoring average was outrageous in every era. Untouchable 1 on 1. One has to wonder what kind of ridiculous goal totals he would have put up with a pure shooters mentality.

The problem for Lemieux is he isn't even top 10 all time in goals despite playing in the high scoring era. He led the NHL in goals a relatively paltry 3 times - or 1/3 as many times as Ovie. Nor does Lemieux have the highest single season total of his era (Gretzky) or the highest adjusted total (Brett Hull) of his era.

Even if we're generous to Lemieux and go by GPG, he still only led the NHL 6 times vs Ovechkin's 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad