Great Fight Debate - III

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
So what do you suggest they should do? I'd like them to target Laval's best players and let them know if this idiot is going to run around and cheap shot guys - they better be ready.

My friend has twin boys.....one is really big, one is really small.

When they were 13 they were on the same team and the big one leveled a smaller kid on the other team with a very dirty hit.

For the next two periods the other team targeted the smaller brother (who was probably the most skilled kid at the time).

My friend laid into his bigger son the entire ride home about what his hit caused his teammate/brother.

From what I hear the bigger brother has been the model of clean play since that day.

Different level, of course, but human nature is human nature.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
it was hyperbole, as in they banned fighting in TD Garden. Anyway they don't have to fight or play that physical, they just aren't built for it. They are a non physical skill team that can put up goals but gets roughed up vs the bigger teams

What bigger team has "roughed them up" so far this season?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Through 132 games played this season.

Total fights = 21, basically one fight every six games.

Total number of players with at least one fight = 40

Total number of players with more than one fight = 2 (Lucic and Calvert).

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
I think this is the latest in franchise history where the Bruins have no fighting majors.

I think there was a year in the late 80's - early 90's where they went about 20 games without a fighting major to start the year.

Not positive, but I had a room mate back then who claimed all hockey players do is fight, and I remember pointing out that they had gone 20 games without one.

Reactions: LouJersey

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
love myself a good scrap and tough players but have also come to redefine my attitude on fighting as the game has progressed well past fighting playing much of a factor these days. The majority of these kids play in leagues where there`s either 0 fighting or the league has worked hard to put the clamps on a scrap happening every 5 minutes and by the time they arrive in the NHL, most of these kids have never dropped the mitts and are horrific at it.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
it was hyperbole, as in they banned fighting in TD Garden. Anyway they don't have to fight or play that physical, they just aren't built for it. They are a non physical skill team that can put up goals but gets roughed up vs the bigger teams

It's basically the same team from last year, where the Bruins lead the league in fights.

Calgary is tied for 8th in fights this year... with 2. It's just something teams don't do much of anymore. Fighting is in decline and has been for the past decade.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
It's basically the same team from last year, where the Bruins lead the league in fights.

Calgary is tied for 8th in fights this year... with 2. It's just something teams don't do much of anymore. Fighting is in decline and has been for the past decade.

Tampa and Washington each have 4 and 3. Some teams are fighting, some are not. Its still allowed.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Tampa and Washington each have 4 and 3. Some teams are fighting, some are not. Its still allowed.

Of TB's 4 fights, 2 happened vs. Colorado (also with 4 fights) in the same game (Calvert was in both). The other 2 happened in the same game vs. Ottawa. So even TB have only had fights in 25% of their games. League wide it's only roughly 15% of games. 1/3 of the league hasn't had a fight yet.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
love myself a good scrap and tough players but have also come to redefine my attitude on fighting as the game has progressed well past fighting playing much of a factor these days. The majority of these kids play in leagues where there`s either 0 fighting or the league has worked hard to put the clamps on a scrap happening every 5 minutes and by the time they arrive in the NHL, most of these kids have never dropped the mitts and are horrific at it.

Yup. Don't like it, but it is what it is....

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Of TB's 4 fights, 2 happened vs. Colorado (also with 4 fights) in the same game (Calvert was in both). The other 2 happened in the same game vs. Ottawa. So even TB have only had fights in 25% of their games. League wide it's only roughly 15% of games. 1/3 of the league hasn't had a fight yet.

Its down but there is still fighting happening where fans of old time hockey can catch the action. I don't see them banning it.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Its down but there is still fighting happening where fans of old time hockey can catch the action. I don't see them banning it.

Neither do I, I hope they don't. I still believe fighting has a place in the game.

I think @ODAAT makes a great point about how so many youth players now are coming up through the minor hockey system where fighting is outright banned and the penalties for fighting are severe. A relative of mine was involved in a high-school hockey set-up awhile back and they put in a rule where one fight and the player is done for the season, period, end of story. Their rational was the ref should be able to make a judgement call over what is a fight and what is not. My opinion was that was bogus and good kids will get suspended for the rest of the season for defending themselves. But it fell on deaf ears. These players now, especially with the league skewing so young, are just conditioned not to fight. Other than a scattered few, they didn't do it growing up and aren't about to start now. So you get dirty plays and hits and face-washes in scrums.

Reactions: sarge88

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

Still allowed, still early in the season. The last thing we should worry about is the number of team fights after 8 games - it's bound to happen eventually.

Again, it's basically the same team returning from last year that lead the league in fighting. We'll see it again when it presents itself.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
If your goal is to watch a hockey game just to see a fight break out, why not watch MMA or boxing instead? Seems like that would cater directly to what you're complaining about missing in hockey, no?

In reality, the league is slowly legislating fighting out of the game. Guys coming in have to wear half shields automatically and it's only a matter of time before they move to full shields as well. Fighting is taking a back seat to actual ability, and I'm fine with it.

I've always enjoyed a good hockey fight, but the last 20 years were really more about staged goon fights than anything resulting from genuine heat during the game, and those fights were terrible. If a fight breaks out over something real that's related to the game, I'm all in. But if you're talking about stiff vs stiff because that's their only job? Nah. I'll pass on that all day long.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Still allowed, still early in the season. The last thing we should worry about is the number of team fights after 8 games - it's bound to happen eventually.

Again, it's basically the same team returning from last year that lead the league in fighting. We'll see it again when it presents itself.

I'm sure the bruins will have a game sooner or later where it breaks out into mayhem. Maybe against Montreal

Reactions: sarge88

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
If your goal is to watch a hockey game just to see a fight break out, why not watch MMA or boxing instead? Seems like that would cater directly to what you're complaining about missing in hockey, no?

In reality, the league is slowly legislating fighting out of the game. Guys coming in have to wear half shields automatically and it's only a matter of time before they move to full shields as well. Fighting is taking a back seat to actual ability, and I'm fine with it.

I've always enjoyed a good hockey fight, but the last 20 years were really more about staged goon fights than anything resulting from genuine heat during the game, and those fights were terrible. If a fight breaks out over something real that's related to the game, I'm all in. But if you're talking about stiff vs stiff because that's their only job? Nah. I'll pass on that all day long.

I understand there is the non fighting crowd, many in PQ, but many fans cheer the loudest when there is a fight on the ice as it's been part of the game forever. I doubt the NHL wants those fans to stop watching hockey and go watch MMA

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00