Great Fight Debate - III

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
@Therick67 regardless of the B's having 8 or so concussions from hits and not fighting, the point is that repeatedly taking the risk of getting punched in the face can and does result in very real, very dangerous concussions for players. History obviously plays a big part as well, but people pretending players don't have negative results from fights are being dishonest with themselves. In fact it's incredibly ignorant to suggest that especially when former enforcers like Dave Boogaard died young and were found to have significant instances of CTE.

Reactions: GordonHowe

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
I'm not suggesting fighting can't or doesn't contribute to CTE. Just pointing out it isn't the only cause. Some anti fighting people suggest it's why fighting should be banned. Just pointing out it's far from the only way to get a concussion/CTE.

Okposo had 2 concussions previous and one of them was severe. I feel sick for the guy, but blaming it on fighting isn't telling the whole story...

Reactions: GordonHowe

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I feel bad for Okposo but not smart to fight when you have a history of concussions. Probably not gonna help his depression/anxiety issues either.

I was watching the game live and wanted him to dummy that punk DeAngelo for chirping the Bruins bench in the shootout a couple weeks ago but man he got tagged hard.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I'm sure it won't ever be enough for some people but I was really pleased with the Bruins response after the Johansson injury last night.

Came out the very next shift hitting everything that moved and then Backes dropped em with Ferland shortly after. Meanwhile you have the usual suspects shitting on Backes for losing the fight in other threads, but that's irrelevant IMO. I love that Backes has taken it upon himself to be the guy to step up lately and I love what animals Wagner, Acciari & Nordstrom are when necessary. Hell even McAvoy gets ornery in those situations.

The takeaway was that the game settled down after the fight & the Bruins were able to go out & just win. Their response was exactly what it should be to that kind of hit and had exactly the desired outcome but I strangely don't see anyone else bumping this thread to give them credit where due. and I'm not even trying to start another flame war, I'm just saying if you're going to rant about the Bruins being soft when they don't respond to these things earlier in the season then you should probably show up & give them props when they do.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I'm sure it won't ever be enough for some people but I was really pleased with the Bruins response after the Johansson injury last night.

Came out the very next shift hitting everything that moved and then Backes dropped em with Ferland shortly after. Meanwhile you have the usual suspects ****ting on Backes for losing the fight in other threads, but that's irrelevant IMO. I love that Backes has taken it upon himself to be the guy to step up lately and I love what animals Wagner, Acciari & Nordstrom are when necessary. Hell even McAvoy gets ornery in those situations.

The takeaway was that the game settled down after the fight & the Bruins were able to go out & just win. Their response was exactly what it should be to that kind of hit and had exactly the desired outcome but I strangely don't see anyone else bumping this thread to give them credit where due. and I'm not even trying to start another flame war, I'm just saying if you're going to rant about the Bruins being soft when they don't respond to these things earlier in the season then you should probably show up & give them props when they do.

There was even a poster licking their chops saying that this is exactly what Tampa Bay did to them last year. They more than answered the bell last night and have for the past few games where things got physical.

And remember, #33 was royally pissed off last night which usually isn't good news for the other side

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
The response to the hit was fine. Carolina played it like a playoff game regarding physical play. They are going to hit the Bruins early and often in the playoffs to force them into a battle of attrition. I'd like to see them go on the offensive with that strategy. Krejci and Bergeron need to watch out for the HR hits agaisnt them

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I don't have any problems with Bruins fighting provided it isn't that staged nonsense. I have a big problem with David Backes fighting except in self defense.

The man is one punch away from another concussion which could further damage his health and end his career at the same time. I get it- he is a leader who wants to contribute any way he can but he needs to find another way. Leave the fighting to Chara, Acciari, Wags and Killer.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
The response to the hit was fine. Carolina played it like a playoff game regarding physical play. They are going to hit the Bruins early and often in the playoffs to force them into a battle of attrition. I'd like to see them go on the offensive with that strategy. Krejci and Bergeron need to watch out for the HR hits agaisnt them

What is an "HR hit"

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I think responding to an absolutely CLEAN textbook hit with a fight is stupid.

No matter what players/teams are involved.

A dirty hit - yeah, that's a whole different story. I'm all for instigator, jump him and pound the crap outta him.

I agree but I think the B's responded like they did last night to Ferland's hit (which I think everyone agrees was 100% clean) was because Johansson got hurt. If he got up and continued we probably wouldn't have seen any payback other than the B's ramping up the hits like they did

Reactions: BMC

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I agree but I think the B's responded like they did last night to Ferland's hit (which I think everyone agrees was 100% clean) was because Johansson got hurt. If he got up and continued we probably wouldn't have seen any payback other than the B's ramping up the hits like they did
Ferland got hurt as well. Not sure if it was from the hit or the fight, but when you boil it down.....he ended up getting injured and having to leave the game for delivering a 100% clean hit.

If the shoe was on the other foot, and that was a Bruin player who laid a clean hit and then got injured answering for it in a fight, this board would be losing its shit right now.....

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Ferland got hurt as well. Not sure if it was from the hit or the fight, but when you boil it down.....he ended up getting injured and having to leave the game for delivering a 100% clean hit.

If the shoe was on the other foot, and that was a Bruin player who laid a clean hit and then got injured answering for it in a fight, this board would be losing its **** right now.....

Absolutely! Like I replied to Wally's post if there wasn't an injury it might not have come to that. And I suppose just about every other team in the league would have responded the same way. But that's the risk these guys who fight take now with the rules that they can't ditch the helmets. I can't even imagine taking a full swing at someone and hitting a helmet. I don't care how tough you are, that's gotta hurt like hell

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

If the shoe was on the other foot, and that was a Bruin player who laid a clean hit and then got injured answering for it in a fight, this board would be losing its **** right now.....

The whole collision/hit was awkward with Mojo trying to slip it at the last second. I am not surprised that Ferland got hurt also. It just didn’t look good.

I am with @BMC about Backes looking to fight. The Ferland hit didn’t require some sort staged fight- it was clean and even though Mojo got injured it was as much his fault for that.

I do like the rest of the response which was to take the physicality back at the Whalers . . . Er, Canes.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Came out the very next shift hitting everything that moved and then Backes dropped em with Ferland shortly after. Meanwhile you have the usual suspects ****ting on Backes for losing the fight in other threads, but that's irrelevant IMO. I love that Backes has taken it upon himself to be the guy to step up lately and I love what animals Wagner, Acciari & Nordstrom are when necessary. Hell even McAvoy gets ornery in those situations.

You can't ask for much more from them.

Wagner and Kuraly will stand up. Killer, Backes and Chara of course. We saw various other smaller guys too. Can't ask for much more.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I think responding to an absolutely CLEAN textbook hit with a fight is stupid.

No matter what players/teams are involved.

A dirty hit - yeah, that's a whole different story. I'm all for instigator, jump him and pound the crap outta him.

Best way to respond with a clean textbook hit, is returning the favor. Once fights break out over clean hits, the flow of the game is ruined, and the refs attempt to "control the game" by handing out tacky penalties.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad