Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins 2019-2020 Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
The Athletic has a decent interview with Ben Simon. Here's a little tidbit about Givani Smith:

So it was a great story for him and now when he got sent back down, I think having a little taste of it has gotten him even more determined — that “Hey, I got a little taste of the pie, I want a bigger slice.” So I think that’s going to be a big motivation for him this summer, is making sure that we’re doing everything we can to make sure that he’s putting himself in the best position to make the team next year.

Q&A: Griffins coach Ben Simon reflects on the season, top...

Reactions: wingerdinger

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Red Wings boast No. 1-ranked NHL/AHL affiliation since Ilitch era

I really didn't know this about the Red Wings and GR:

It doesn't come as a surprise to former American Hockey League commissioner Dave Andrews that the Detroit Red Wings have won the most combined National Hockey League and AHL championships since owner Mike Ilitch purchased the team in 1982.

I read this part and had the hit the brakes quite a bit. Quite a statement from American Hockey League commissioner Dave Andrews:

"If you look at what the Red Wings have done from a player development point of view, it's probably second to none," Andrews said.

I guess what he's is saying is that overall they do a good job maximizing a prospect's abilities while they're in GR. If the draft selections simply don't have NHL level talent then work ethic can only go so far. Granted, I still feel like that's mostly commissioner-speak. I'd be curious to see what the win/point shares attributed to career AHL-ers is and also a comparison between the Wings and other organizations in regard to prospects that go through the AHL system and up becomes NHL vets.

Last edited:
Reactions: Go Wings

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I'm wondering what happens with the CHL/NHL transfer agreement if the CHL doesn't play but the AHL does. Do they exempt all of the kids and let them play in the AHL?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'm wondering what happens with the CHL/NHL transfer agreement if the CHL doesn't play but the AHL does. Do they exempt all of the kids and let them play in the AHL?

Is it going on that direction at the moment?

I was on a belief that AHL is at biggest risk to be cancelled, and CHL will be played.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Is it going on that direction at the moment?

I was on a belief that AHL is at biggest risk to be cancelled, and CHL will be played.
Just a "what if" scenario.

If the CHL does play, I would assume that the US teams would all be left out considering Canada won't even allow MLB teams to play in their country.

So far right now, the AHL has only announced postponement of season to December, they have not cancelled yet.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Just a "what if" scenario.

If the CHL does play, I would assume that the US teams would all be left out considering Canada won't even allow MLB teams to play in their country.

So far right now, the AHL has only announced postponement of season to December, they have not cancelled yet.

How about temporary re-location in a bubble with some nearest rival? All teams located in Canada, and no border-crossing?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
How about temporary re-location in a bubble with some nearest rival? All teams located in Canada, and no border-crossing?
I would imagine it would be cost prohibitive.

I'm just guessing like everyone else (no insider info) but neither league can afford to play without an audience, so it's gonna be really interesting to see what happens. Keep in mind that both leagues cancelled their season with no playoffs.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Doubt it. These kids dont get paid and a bunch are still in high school. Doesnt make sense to have them in a bubble, isolated and having these teams that dont have as much money pay for hotel rooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad