Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins 2019-2020 Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
That's a perfect zone entry, especially on the PP. Gain the zone with full possession, find open ice and draw defender, pass to open teammate. Textbook.

Yeah, I guess I disagree, Textbook gets it in a bit deeper and gives you more options.
On this one, he's real close to getting squeezed into a possible turnover.
Glad he mad the pass and Svech scored. But I wouldn't call it text book.

HomersWorld

Mar 8, 2012
Good for Hirose!

Very weird that Veleno didn't play in OT. He came off the bench to celebrate at the end, so it wasn't like he was injured and went to the room... I wouldn't think that swipe to the face from Jones would put him out, but also I don't see how you wouldn't use him in OT if he was available.

Also, it was hilarious that Seider pushed the net off and wasn't penalized. I'd be livid if I were San Diego.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
- every game hickets could get a star , does so many unstatable things to help the cause
- if team still had zadina and pumps right now theyd be unbeatable
- 2 points compliments of j howard the 2nd

Last edited:

SDWings

Jun 21, 2019
Been lurking here but have never posted. I'm a Detroit native but now live in San Diego and went to the game tonight. Here are my random and very high level thoughts of seeing the game in person.

Howard: Jimmy looked smooth and made things look easy. In my mind he was the star of the game and the reason they won. The SO attempts from my view looked like he played angles perfectly and gave the shooters no real chances to score. I was impressed as he seemed to move well side to side the whole game.

Hirose: He stood out the most of all offensive players. Hands and quickness were noticeable and he seemed more aggressive in taking charge offensively. I was with hockey friends and they all asked about him and commented on his skills.

Seider: The best way to describe my thoughts on Mo is that he looked like he belongs. He didn't stand out in any area but was solid in all ends of the rink. Cant wait to see him evolve..... it could be special.

Cholo: On the PP he looked ok but not great. He puts himself in bad spots sometimes and turns the puck over. 5 on 5 he was average with the same tendencies when he was up. Still has work to do defensively even at AHL

Velano: Not sure why but I didn't notice him as much as expected. I mean I did see him and saw positives in his skillset but his impact on the game was not there.

Hicketts: I'm adding him here because I like to watch him play. He was fun to watch tonight and overall he was pretty solid in all aspects. He gets a lot of hate here but I love his attitude and work ethic.

Thanks to all that contribute here......back to lurking now

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Yeah, I guess I disagree, Textbook gets it in a bit deeper and gives you more options.
On this one, he's real close to getting squeezed into a possible turnover.
Glad he mad the pass and Svech scored. But I wouldn't call it text book.

Agreed, that is very far from a textbook entry. That is a textbook case of skating yourself into coverage in a high-danger area where you cannot afford to turn the puck over. He got away with it with a great pass but it was a risky play by all metrics and many coaches would give him grief for trying it.

Reactions: MBH

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
Agreed, that is very far from a textbook entry. That is a textbook case of skating yourself into coverage in a high-danger area where you cannot afford to turn the puck over. He got away with it with a great pass but it was a risky play by all metrics and many coaches would give him grief for trying it.

You just described 90% of zone entries on the Power-play. Watching it a few more times, it was a really high end play. He could have deposited the puck deep any time he wanted to. But he has the hockey sense and skill to draw two defenders to him, and find the open player for a goal. And even if he does turn the puck over, its a 2 on 3, hardly a risky play. Skill players on the PP are expected to make those plays.

Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 8.54.44 AM.png

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
You just described 90% of zone entries on the Power-play. Watching it a few more times, it was a really high end play. He could have deposited the puck deep any time he wanted to. But he has the hockey sense and skill to draw two defenders to him, and find the open player for a goal. And even if he does turn the puck over, its a 2 on 3, hardly a risky play. Skill players on the PP are expected to make those plays.

View attachment 294229

Gotta agree. He easily could've just rng that around the boards and let the winger on the other side chase it down and hope he gets it. But high end players will draw defenders to themselves to open up space for their teammates. Veleno did that and it led to a wide open shot on net and goal for Svechnikov directly because he drew two defenders. If he was doing this a lot and it wasnt working/he was turning it over I would be concerned but thats a play a lot of high end play makers make.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Gotta agree. He easily could've just rng that around the boards and let the winger on the other side chase it down and hope he gets it. But high end players will draw defenders to themselves to open up space for their teammates. Veleno did that and it led to a wide open shot on net and goal for Svechnikov directly because he drew two defenders. If he was doing this a lot and it wasnt working/he was turning it over I would be concerned but thats a play a lot of high end play makers make.

Absolutely. We need more of That kind of playmaking

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Been lurking here but have never posted. I'm a Detroit native but now live in San Diego and went to the game tonight. Here are my random and very high level thoughts of seeing the game in person.

Howard: Jimmy looked smooth and made things look easy. In my mind he was the star of the game and the reason they won. The SO attempts from my view looked like he played angles perfectly and gave the shooters no real chances to score. I was impressed as he seemed to move well side to side the whole game.

Hirose: He stood out the most of all offensive players. Hands and quickness were noticeable and he seemed more aggressive in taking charge offensively. I was with hockey friends and they all asked about him and commented on his skills.

Seider: The best way to describe my thoughts on Mo is that he looked like he belongs. He didn't stand out in any area but was solid in all ends of the rink. Cant wait to see him evolve..... it could be special.

Cholo: On the PP he looked ok but not great. He puts himself in bad spots sometimes and turns the puck over. 5 on 5 he was average with the same tendencies when he was up. Still has work to do defensively even at AHL

Velano: Not sure why but I didn't notice him as much as expected. I mean I did see him and saw positives in his skillset but his impact on the game was not there.

Hicketts: I'm adding him here because I like to watch him play. He was fun to watch tonight and overall he was pretty solid in all aspects. He gets a lot of hate here but I love his attitude and work ethic.

Thanks to all that contribute here......back to lurking now

Thanks for the breakdown of what you saw.

---

Now go back to lurking Muthafu....:sarcasm:

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
Is Michael Rasmussen in the witness protection program? I was expectation a big season from him this year.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
I heard you paint houses

The only contract I have on Michael Rasmussen is in a STSH sim hockey league. And because of that I paid to watch a few of his early games this season online. He looked like he was using his body better this season. And not just relying on being more skilled. I feel like big guy like him take a little longer. They grow up being better then everyone at each level so he never had to really use his size. Now the skill advantage is gone he needs to us his size to control the game. This should have been a big year for him.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
The only contract I have on Michael Rasmussen is in a STSH sim hockey league. And because of that I paid to watch a few of his early games this season online. He looked like he was using his body better this season. And not just relying on being more skilled. I feel like big guy like him take a little longer. They grow up being better then everyone at each level so he never had to really use his size. Now the skill advantage is gone he needs to us his size to control the game. This should have been a big year for him.

He got hurt twice. And he's been out for awhile now the second time. He's reportedly skating in Detroit while GR was out west. Hopefully he's ready soon.
He struggled and was nowhere near ready for the NHL.
But he had good stats in his Grand Rapids start this year. Most of the reviews were solid.

Reactions: MrGone

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
AHL: Griffins vs. Iowa 12-20 **STREAMING FREE ON FB NOW**

MODS: Since this is a FaceBook stream it should be legal & not against HF board policies. If it breaks FB policies, please delete (sorry, not trying to break any rules), thanks & enjoy the game!

2-2 midway thruough the 2nd period

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad