Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins 2019-20

Status
Not open for further replies.

taylorjonl

Jul 3, 2015
Sandy, Utah
Other areas of his game have looked good, but can be a bit inconsistent (which you'd expect). Most of the time I've found his positioning in the defensive zone to be good, but he's had his moments where he gets a bit loose in his coverage and can end up looking a little scrambly. I think the same could be said about his pinching. I think overall he's made good decisions on when to pinch, but he has gotten burned a few times.

He got burned today, he pinched when he shouldn't have on the first goal. Stuff happens and he will learn from it. The second goal he was inches from breaking it up.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
I've seen every Grand Rapids game except for 1 in full this season. Just my 2 cents:
Seider has looked pretty impressive. His physicality, stick work and poise impress me every game. He's really punishing along the boards and has embarrassed a few players who've taken runs at him with reverse hits. One thing that's a huge breath of fresh air as a Wings fan is his calmness under pressure. So many of the defensemen we've had in the last number of years in Detroit crumble with any pressure in their own end. Seider is really good at evading that pressure and making good outlets.

Other areas of his game have looked good, but can be a bit inconsistent (which you'd expect). Most of the time I've found his positioning in the defensive zone to be good, but he's had his moments where he gets a bit loose in his coverage and can end up looking a little scrambly. I think the same could be said about his pinching. I think overall he's made good decisions on when to pinch, but he has gotten burned a few times.

I'd also say that despite his point streak, to me he's definitely more noticeable defensively than offensively. He's gotten rewarded with points for making some good, simple plays (holding pucks in at the line and getting them in deep for a forward, simple breakout passes, putting one in Zadina's wheelhouse). Not trying to downplay his contributions, just want to get it across to those who might not have a chance to watch that he doesn't play the game like an Erik Karlsson or anything like that. I'd also add that getting shots through from the point is something he mentioned having to work on at the draft, and I'd agree with that thus far. I think he's been okay at it, but will hopefully improve with some adjustments to the time and space. He moves the puck well on the powerplay, but it'd be nice to have him be a shooting threat as well.

Overall, I'm really encouraged with his play. He's already proving to be dependable and trustworthy early on in the AHL at 18 years old, and it's encouraging that the coaching staff are looking past some bumps in the road along the way and letting him figure things out. Seems like we could have a big minutes munching rock on defense for quite some time. I think the most intriguing aspect of his game remains his offensive potential.

Thanks for the write up, really appreciate it!

Reactions: HomersWorld

Christien

May 1, 2010
Any update on Rasmussen?
Still nothing. Just ruling him out as a “precaution” and “nothing serious”.

the Griffins have really been struggling this year with special teams. The power play used to have Zadina on the left side of the ice, but ever since they switched him over to his off wing the power play has looked way better imo, with Seider being out there quarterbacking that unit. The penalty kill still looks horrible though

Reactions: hkydave04

Christien

May 1, 2010
Who are the penalty killers?
Turgeon, Veleno, Smith, Shine, Seider, McIlrath, Hicketts, Lashoff, Lindstrom, Ericsson. Just off the top of my head, might be forgetting someone. All of those guys are capable of killing penalties off, just need to keep working on it.

Just a reminder that the Griffins are playing an early game tomorrow, it starts at 11 am eastern

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Turgeon, Veleno, Smith, Shine, Seider, McIlrath, Hicketts, Lashoff, Lindstrom, Ericsson. Just off the top of my head, might be forgetting someone. All of those guys are capable of killing penalties off, just need to keep working on it.

Just a reminder that the Griffins are playing an early game tomorrow, it starts at 11 am eastern

Who are the top guys, who come always first on the PK?

I could see Turgeon as the faceoff speacilist.

Too bad AHL does not offer any statistics.

Christien

May 1, 2010
Who are the top guys, who come always first on the PK?

I could see Turgeon as the faceoff speacilist.

Too bad AHL does not offer any statistics.
Yeah usually Turgeon with Shine I’m pretty sure. Top pair is Ericsson/Seider

Lil Bert

Oct 14, 2018
I bought the AHL package expecting to see some exciting action from our young players but I think I'd have more fun watching a CHL game. Seider looks great, everyone else looks like a carbon copy of Glendening. Nobody can make a pass, slow slow game.

Maybe it's just because its an 11 a.m. start

Reactions: mantha39

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I bought the AHL package expecting to see some exciting action from our young players but I think I'd have more fun watching a CHL game. Seider looks great, everyone else looks like a carbon copy of Glendening. Nobody can make a pass, slow slow game.

Maybe it's just because its an 11 a.m. start

lol I’m with you. Just trying to get excited about something

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Lashoff goal unassisted.

Rasmussen's forecheck helped to force the turnover and his screen is the whole reason the goal was scored, but no point for him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad