Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins 2015-16, Part II

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Did Ryan Sproul find his game back?

before Christmas, he had few points...and he finish hard with 12-23-35 +22 and 8 pts in 8 Playoffs games,

what do you expect from him? a roster spot next year or a trade?

can't see him stay in the AHL next year again...detroit or anywhere in the NHL...he deserve an opportunity

I've never been much of a Sproul fan, but he's too good for the Wings to lose on waivers. I think he'll start the year on Detroit's roster and they'll give him an opportunity, even if it means he's in the pressbox for the first 10 games. The only other realistic option is to trade him, which is entirely possible, depending on what the Wings intend to do this off-season. He seems to be a prime candidate to be a prospecty piece of a trade package.

Ultimately, I don't see him as a regular in Detroit, and there's no guarantee he makes it as a full-time NHLer anywhere else. I see him as the defenseman version of Pulkkinen; guys with talent and great skills, but also glaring weaknesses that hold them back.

Ingvar

Jan 16, 2016
Moscow
If Sproul good enough not to slip through the waivers? Or is he riding a hot streak and nowhere ready to play even on a 3rd pairing in Detroit?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Todd Nelson was praised about his former work with young defencemen. And looks like he is exactly what we need. Russo and Sproul having career turnarounds?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Too bad they lost but they put up a good fight in the series. And some nice numbers posted by many of our young kids.

Sproul is a difficult situation. Too good to waive, probably not good enough to actually be an NHL regular. I wish we could give him a chance since he still in many ways fits the profile of what we're looking for, but I would not be surprised at all to see him included in a trade this summer.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Yeah i think we need to trade sproul for something. Unless he can be packaged for something in the draft. I would wait until after training camp though

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
If Sproul good enough not to slip through the waivers? Or is he riding a hot streak and nowhere ready to play even on a 3rd pairing in Detroit?

both

there's no way someone doesn't give him a shot if he goes on waivers just based on his tools alone but I don't expect him to do very well

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Todd Nelson was praised about his former work with young defencemen. And looks like he is exactly what we need. Russo and Sproul having career turnarounds?

I think the brightest spot of the Griffs' season was Sproul finally taking some meaningful steps forward. Without question he showed the greatest year-over-year improvement notwithstanding that final goal last night. I think Aubry also moved forward quite a bit under Nelson. I am far more bullish on Sproul than I have ever been. The best thing that Blash ever did for this kid was to bench him in the playoffs last season.

The biggest disappointment for me is XO not finding that extra half step that he needs to be effective at the NHL level. The older he gets the less likely he is to find it. It bums me out because I think he thinks the game rather well and is solid with the puck on his stick and in passing the puck. I have similar concerns about Russo. As of today, I don't think he is explosive enough to play at the NHL level notwithstanding his great poise with the puck. Like XO, he needs to get a bit faster and I don't know if it will happen at his age. Hopefully both of those guys prove me wrong.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think the brightest spot of the Griffs' season was Sproul finally taking some meaningful steps forward. Without question he showed the greatest year-over-year improvement notwithstanding that final goal last night. I think Aubry also moved forward quite a bit under Nelson. I am far more bullish on Sproul than I have ever been. The best thing that Blash ever did for this kid was to bench him in the playoffs last season.

The biggest disappointment for me is XO not finding that extra half step that he needs to be effective at the NHL level. The older he gets the less likely he is to find it. It bums me out because I think he thinks the game rather well and is solid with the puck on his stick and in passing the puck. I have similar concerns about Russo. As of today, I don't think he is explosive enough to play at the NHL level notwithstanding his great poise with the puck. Like XO, he needs to get a bit faster and I don't know if it will happen at his age. Hopefully both of those guys prove me wrong.

If we don't make any acquisitions, I would like to see our RD as:

Green
Marchenko
Sproul

3 LH-RH pairings finally? :)

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
disappointing end to the season.. they were a realgud team this year. Cup or bust as Mantha/Athanasiou are going to be in the NHL next season.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
If we don't make any acquisitions, I would like to see our RD as:

Green
Marchenko
Sproul

3 LH-RH pairings finally? :)

I think if Sproul is one of our 6 best defensemen next season, we will have somehow downgraded this mediocre defense corps :)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think if Sproul is one of our 6 best defensemen next season, we will have somehow downgraded this mediocre defense corps :)

Possibly. Seems like a good fit for Blashill's system. Also could be a nice weapon for one of the power play units.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Assuming nothing drastic happens other than moving Datsyuk's salary, losing our "big" free agents, and adding a free agent forward, I'd go with 13F and 8D to start the season. If I'm not mistaken, that means Jurco, Pulkkinen and a depth guy like Miller fill out your roster and only Frk and Nosek are exposed to waivers. Can't see Nosek being claimed and can't see Frk being anything more than another Pulk wherever he lands.

Sproul I could see being grabbed and it worries me. I haven't liked him prior to the last half season but the thought that he might finally be putting it all together makes me wonder. It's hard to give up on what was once a great prospect, but Sproul being a big, smooth-skating RHD adds some urgency.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Agree with this. Disappointed with XO, but he should just be traded. I think he still has nice value.

Let's keep all the righties...

DeKeyser-L - Green-R
Kronwall-L - Marchenko-R
Ericsson-L - Sproul-R
Russo-R

Smith and Quincey? Gone.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
disappointing end to the season.. they were a realgud team this year. Cup or bust as Mantha/Athanasiou are going to be in the NHL next season.

Nah. Coreau isn't ready yet till next year. And everything is just above average

If they still had mrazek they would be a dynasty

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
How did Svech look in his two games?
He looked very physically mature, which surprised me for a 19 year-old. His skating seemed about average and he had zero issues with the size and physicality of the AHL. Few real memorable plays, but consistently solid.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Sproul I could see being grabbed and it worries me. I haven't liked him prior to the last half season but the thought that he might finally be putting it all together makes me wonder. It's hard to give up on what was once a great prospect, but Sproul being a big, smooth-skating RHD adds some urgency.

I've been a big Sproul fan since he was drafted. I don't think he has any future in Detroit. This year under Nelson showed he can be effective, the thing is he may not clear waivers and if you carry him with the big club he likely flounders once again with Blashill as his coach.

I'd like to see us trade him. Maybe send him to Dallas as Nill probably knows him better than anyone other than the assistant GM in Toronto, who was the GM when Sproul was in the OHL. Those may be your two best options to get something of value. Not much, obviously. Just make a hockey trade and move on.

So if it was up to me I'd move him and get whatever you can. He's got skill and it would be too bad to see his career go down the drain in Detroit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad