Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins 2015-16, Part II

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
Only caught the 3rd because it took me that long to find a stream, but Svechnikov looks like he's real strong on the puck. Really interested to see how he produces for a full season with the Griffins. Dude looks like he could wind up being a solid pick.

Think Nelson was running a kid line of Lil'Bert-AA-Mantha -- those guys look like they might have some serious chemistry together.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Only caught the 3rd because it took me that long to find a stream, but Svechnikov looks like he's real strong on the puck. Really interested to see how he produces for a full season with the Griffins. Dude looks like he could wind up being a solid pick.

Think Nelson was running a kid line of Lil'Bert-AA-Mantha -- those guys look like they might have some serious chemistry together.

He didn't need to play any other game though. :laugh: :rolleyes:

Christien

May 1, 2010
Game 5 highlights

Athanasiou's speed is just ridiculous. So hard for defenders to contain him.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Our young guys have some great stat lines these playoffs

Mantha: 8 games - 10 pts (4g, 6a)
Bertuzzi: 8 games - 8 pts (7g, 1a)
Sproul: 8 games - 8 pts (1g, 7a)
Athanasiou: 5 games - 5 pts (2g, 3a)

Oct 18, 2006
My goodness Athanasiou is ridiculous, that speed is just crazy. Creates so many chances. That line is awesome, Bert crashing the net and capitalizing on AA's speed.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

Bertuzzi would be a great third liner. Chips in alittle and is a playoff beast

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
The more I see AA, the more I think he is going to be a game changer at the NHL level. Unlike Larkin, who originally received the comparison, AA is Helm with hands. I think he is going to be a fantastic PKer that really makes teams nervous at the line, and if he scores on 1 in 5 breakaways, he is going to put up 20+ goals a season. He may never be a complete player offensively (IE learn to use his teammates) but he is going to be a guy that teams have to develop game plans to play against, which will open up his teammates. AA has the hands that very few players with his speed do.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
That breakaway by AA....wow. I call it a breakaway, not sure it counts when it goes from a 1 on 2 to a 1 on 0 from blueline to blueline haha

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
The more I see AA, the more I think he is going to be a game changer at the NHL level. Unlike Larkin, who originally received the comparison, AA is Helm with hands. I think he is going to be a fantastic PKer that really makes teams nervous at the line, and if he scores on 1 in 5 breakaways, he is going to put up 20+ goals a season. He may never be a complete player offensively (IE learn to use his teammates) but he is going to be a guy that teams have to develop game plans to play against, which will open up his teammates. AA has the hands that very few players with his speed do.

I hope you send your analysis to Blashill !!

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Interessting to see Svechnikov play center, did he do it all game? Basing that on the Pre-game line-up.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Well if you believe in miracles now is probably the time. Game-wise Griffins shouldn't have been down 3-0, so it would only make sense if they crawled back. Halfway now and the pressure should be on the other side to close. With a game at home such a good chance to force a G7.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

My biggest concern this summer is whether we can keep Todd Nelson. I would be shocked if he isn't given at least an interview for a HC gig in the NHL. He's had a massive impact in only one season. The Griffins were awful at the start of the season but the metrics showed they were better than how they were playing. In my ideal scenario he'd be the other assistant coach however I don't know if he wants to be an assistant. I'm a big fan and would be inclined to overpay him like they did Blashill just to keep him as the HC in Grand Rapids as a potential replacement somewhere down the line if things go south in Detroit.

It will be truly impressive if he can do that with 7 minutes of ice time per game!

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
My biggest concern this summer is whether we can keep Todd Nelson. I would be shocked if he isn't given at least an interview for a HC gig in the NHL. He's had a massive impact in only one season. The Griffins were awful at the start of the season but the metrics showed they were better than how they were playing. In my ideal scenario he'd be the other assistant coach however I don't know if he wants to be an assistant. I'm a big fan and would be inclined to overpay him like they did Blashill just to keep him as the HC in Grand Rapids as a potential replacement somewhere down the line if things go south in Detroit.

It will be truly impressive if he can do that with 7 minutes of ice time per game!

Don't even joke about AA not getting more ice time...we need him and Mantua to be big parts of this team so badly.

Also I think if we can keep Nelson this season it gives us a great safety net if Blashill doesn't perform this year. If at the end of this season Zetterberg has played more minutes than 16-17 a game (tops) we need to fire Blashill and Nelson could be an excellent replacement.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015

Since ya brought it up, I just scanned a few articles and I think you might be right. Both Anaheim and Calgary GMs have apparently said they're considering hiring AHL coaches, so maybe Nelson's on their radar.

Oiler fans seem like they have nothing but good things to say about him, even after the **** show of a season they had where he took over after Eakins got fired. That right there speaks volumes.

Tatar

Mar 26, 2011
FL300
My goodness Athanasiou is ridiculous, that speed is just crazy. Creates so many chances. That line is awesome, Bert crashing the net and capitalizing on AA's speed.

Still waiting for AA Helm Larkin 3v3 overtime line in the NHL

The Lightning line

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
Still waiting for AA Helm Larkin 3v3 overtime line in the NHL

The Lightning line

Using Larkin, Athanasiou and/or Helm together seems to get mentioned quite a bit on these boards, but that doesn't seem to make much of sense to me. The blue lines really slow down the game for players without the puck, so I find there are diminishing returns to the benefits of speed as you start to play your fastest players together (not that adding more skating is bad, just that it's probably more effective when it's spread throughout your lineup). I'd rather have a fast guy on each line that you can run zone entries and exits through and then surround them with your other players who have complementary skillsets.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Using Larkin, Athanasiou and/or Helm together seems to get mentioned quite a bit on these boards, but that doesn't seem to make much of sense to me. The blue lines really slow down the game for players without the puck, so I find there are diminishing returns to the benefits of speed as you start to play your fastest players together (not that adding more skating is bad, just that it's probably more effective when it's spread throughout your lineup). I'd rather have a fast guy on each line that you can run zone entries and exits through and then surround them with your other players who have complementary skillsets.

IMO its about how you you that speed. In overtime, after a turnover by them, the high guy changes for AA. That allows you to throw a pass and left AA use his speed to burn the other team.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
IMO its about how you you that speed. In overtime, after a turnover by them, the high guy changes for AA. That allows you to throw a pass and left AA use his speed to burn the other team.
Yeah I'd prefer Larkin-AA-Green. That way when Green picks up the puck he can ship it down ice and we have a breakaway or 2 on 0. Also Larkin is strong enough defensively to help Green and Athanasiou who are more offense first. All three have great finishing and passing ability. Second line could be Mantha-Center-DK. That center will inevitably be Z... Oh well. Then we have Nyquist/Tatar-Sheahan-hopefully Vatanen

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Well if you believe in miracles now is probably the time. Game-wise Griffins shouldn't have been down 3-0, so it would only make sense if they crawled back. Halfway now and the pressure should be on the other side to close. With a game at home such a good chance to force a G7.

Gutting out a win after being down 4-1 can summon some serious mojo, not to mention deflate your opponent. The game 3 win put The Griffs in a good spot.

Carl33

Aug 25, 2007
Did Ryan Sproul find his game back?

before Christmas, he had few points...and he finish hard with 12-23-35 +22 and 8 pts in 8 Playoffs games,

what do you expect from him? a roster spot next year or a trade?

can't see him stay in the AHL next year again...detroit or anywhere in the NHL...he deserve an opportunity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad