Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins 2015-16, Part II

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Last time a Red Wing hit 30 goals we were in the finals...

Not saying Mantha can't hit 30, but it's quite a lot nowadays.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Last time a Red Wing hit 30 goals we were in the finals...

Not saying Mantha can't hit 30, but it's quite a lot nowadays.

Yeah I've got high hopes for the kid and am also hoping our defense will improve soon. If we get a good puck mover the goal totals are going to rise quite a bit for the Wings. We'll be able to score off the rush again.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I agree that he's likely to be a 30 goal guy with potential for an exceptional 40 or 50 goal season one to three times in his career but I disagree completely that his size inflated his totals.

There are tons of guys like Brett Connolly that use their superior size to power through the opposition in junior and physically out- match their opponents. Mantha has almost never utilized his size this way. The only place he really uses it now is in a net front role where defenses have a hard time removing him but almost none of his junior goals were scored in this fashion. His reach has always been an asset and has allowed him to beat goalies and defenseman with a nice dangle by simply out- reaching them but even this was a rarity in juniors.

He scored in juniors because he has an exceptional shot and was really good at working his way behind defenses unnoticed. It's always been surprising how such a big guy could find holes in defensive coverage, but Mantha did. He almost never used his size and strength to overpower his competitors. It's something he's improved on and tries more now but utilizing his size to its full capabilities is still a problem with his game that leaves untapped potential.

He didn't use his size to overpower others, but it did allow him to establish is space and to get to places smaller forwards couldn't. Size in and of itself can mask fundamental problems in a player's game. (look at Chara, at 6'2'' he'd never be a Norris candidate).

TonyAndrock

Oct 26, 2013
I compiled lists for all the AHL Western Conference teams in terms of who's under contract for next season and all the free agents. They can be found here: http://highlandparkhockey.blogspot.com/2016/06/offseason-guide-part-2-ahl-free-agents.html

Any corrections I need to make with Grand Rapids' list?

Grand Rapids Griffins (Detroit Red Wings)

Under Contract

Forwards: Tyler Bertuzzi, Martin Frk, Axel Holmstrom, Zach Nastasiuk, Tomas Nosek, Dylan Sadowy, Evgeny Svechnikov, Eric Tangradi, Dominic Turgeon

Defensemen: Joe Hicketts, Nick Jensen Xavier Ouellet, Nathan Paetsch (AHL), Daniel Renouf, Robbie Russo and Vili Saarijarvi

Goaltenders: Jake Paterson

Impending Free Agents

NHL UFA: goaltender Tom McCollum and forwards Joakim Andersson (signed 2-year deal with Orebro HK in SHL), Daniel Cleary and Andy Miele

NHL RFA: goaltender Jared Coreau and defensemen Brian Lashoff and Ryan Sproul and forwards Louis-Marc Aubry, Mitch Callahan, Colin Campbell

AHL UFA: defenseman Joel Chouinard, Scott Czarnowczcan and Derek Docken and forwards Colin Campbell, Alden Hirschfield, Jeff Hoggan and Mark Zengerle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad