Prospect Info: Grand Rapids Griffins 2015-16, Part II

skate skate skate

Apr 6, 2014
Europe
Griffins win 4-3 in OT. Third period comeback from down 1-3.

Callahan (Zengerle, Jensen)
Nosek (Sproul)
Russo (Bertuzzi, Tangradi)
Miele (Mantha, Russo)

Ebabz

Sep 23, 2015
Im really interested in Russo.. has anyone watched him play? His numbers are outstanding for a rookie dman in the AHL. Behind Marchenko and X he might be our next best youngster on the backend.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Im really interested in Russo.. has anyone watched him play? His numbers are outstanding for a rookie dman in the AHL. Behind Marchenko and X he might be our next best youngster on the backend.

I wouldnt be surprised to see him better than both of those 2. I have no clue how the Isles let him walk for nothing. Hes poised and very good offensively and a righty as well

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

He's destroying their AHL rookie numbers. In fact, he might end up having the best rookie AHL season since Kronwall.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
I wouldnt be surprised to see him better than both of those 2. I have no clue how the Isles let him walk for nothing. Hes poised and very good offensively and a righty as well

It was purely a numbers thing. Isles fans were sorry to see him go but were quite philosophical about it.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
We don't know that the Islanders were not interested in signing Russo. It is possible that he wasn't interested in playing for the Islanders. Either way I'm happy he chose to join the Wings organization.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Mantha has 16 goals and 20 assists in his last 43 games. The early season where he only had a goal and assist in the first seven games hurts his point totals.

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
Mantha has 16 goals and 20 assists in his last 43 games. The early season where he only had a goal and assist in the first seven games hurts his point totals.

Hurts practically everyone on the team's point totals. Brutal start to the season for the Griffs for sure.

If he scored just 2 more goals during that horrid start (which is well within reason) he'd be in the top 20 of goal scorers for the season. Add in the fact that he's grown his game very well I think he's had a good season in GR. Should push hard for a roster spot in the preseason next year.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Is Russo really a +35?

Good god. That's like NHL 16 stuff.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Russo is beating all our 2011 "super draft" class (except Marchenko).

I don't think he has outplayed Ouellet when both have been down there. His numbers might look better but his play hasn't been better in my opinion.

Still an awesome transition to pro hockey. Excited about what he is evolving into. Really glad Marchy got up so quick, gave Russo a cleaner development this year.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
How will this team look next season?

As in good or bad or the roster? The goalies will probably be coreau and Paterson or still Tommy M. Maybe Paterson and tommy m

The defense will probably be Russo sproul and the veterans who I can't remember. Hicketts maybe?

The forwards will consist of mantha Callahan Miele frk and others. Somebody like TZE would be better then me

They should still be a good team. Not contending but good

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Goos prospects are coming in every year. And if they don't, Griffins will sign great veterans. Just keep the long-term winning culture there.

Ennui

I like our team?
Aug 13, 2008
Living in the past
www.fsb.ru
Out of curiosity, for anyone who has been watching the Griffins, what is Russo's game like? Does the defensive awareness/attentiveness match the offensive production, or does he have to lean on his defensive partner for that?

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Out of curiosity, for anyone who has been watching the Griffins, what is Russo's game like? Does the defensive awareness/attentiveness match the offensive production, or does he have to lean on his defensive partner for that?

Defense has been better than expected. Not a stud, but not someone that needs to be baby-sitted by his partner. At least at the AHL level he isn't a liability.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Saarijarvi could be there too next year. But won't Sproul have to hit waivers next year? Would think he'd probably get claimed, he could probably handle the #6 spot depending on the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->