Grading the draft

CalgaryLeaf*

They picked up 2 guys that play with edge. Both Gryba & Reinhart are somewhat physical players. Much better choices than Gardiner.

That being said, both Gryba & Reinhart aren't better than Gardiner.

Are you judging Reinhart on his 8 total NHL games played?

So far Gardiner has been a major disappointment by almost any measure.

Riellyfan04

Feb 25, 2010
Toronto On
The only thing that im sad is i was hoping we get Jacob Larsson at 24, but now seeing that we got bracco with that extra pick that we traded our 24 makes me happy! Bracco has the potential to be a star hockey player!!!

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Give it an A. Pretty confident Marner and Dermott will be NHLers for us, and I love the high upside picks they made with Bracco, Lindgren, Timashov, etc.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
The only thing that im sad is i was hoping we get Jacob Larsson at 24, but now seeing that we got bracco with that extra pick that we traded our 24 makes me happy! Bracco has the potential to be a star hockey player!!!

Rather have Dermott, Bracco, and Dzierkals tbh.

So for Franson and Santa we got Leipsic, Bracco, Dermott, Lindstrom, Dzierkals, and a 6th next year.

Santa we signed as a FA, and Franson we got for Lebda and a no name prospect.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Barzal fell (bar-none, the best part of day one), Merkley fell, even Provorov went lower than expected. Goes to show how little we as posters know, which I absolutely love.

Leafs got a plethora of talent. All in all, a good weekend.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Loved it.

I really wanted Samsonov but he went early and we ended up trading down... all in all not a single pick i'm upset with. Now the waiting game to see how they mature.

There is a bit of a problem with Samsonov in that not only is he signed there for three years, he has ties into the KHL brass (mentioned yesterday but I forget exactly) that would try to keep him in Russia. A great potential goalie that may never get here.

The Bad Seed*

Leafs could have drafted the #3 BPA consensus player on the draft board in Hanifin, traded Gardiner (who is much more proven than Rienhart to Edmonton for #16 and #33 drafting Barzal and Travis Dermott with those Oiler picks (that NYI received in trade) and then drafted Nick Merkley with their own #24.

Then 33 picks into this draft minus Gardiner they could have had Hanifin #1D, Barzal #1C, Merkley and Dermott.

As a result of being inactive in the player trade market they ended up with just Marner after those same picks and now time will tell if Marner was the right choice over the potential near franchise Dman.

I'm not trading Gardiner period. Babcock turned kronwal into a number 1 dman. With Jakes elite advanced stats I can't wait to see what babs does with him. Having said that, since we passed on hanifin, I would of traded kessel or jvr in a package to get 5th or 6th to get povorov whom I think is better than hanifin and its not close.

81Reasons

Nov 21, 2013
B+

I understand he logic of moving that #24 and then #29 to pick up some additional picks which I like but I also had hoped they might be able to use the #24 plus a roster player (or another pick) to move up and get a player that might have a higher chance of success.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The best part is they didn't draft any random US high schoolers for a change.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The best part is they didn't draft any random US high schoolers for a change.

While I did like the Dakota Josha and Dominic Toninato picks, I think you maybe go with 1 of those at most per draft, focus more on major JR / Europe

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Giving the leafs an A for this draft.

Haven't had one like this in years. Maybe a decade. Think Bracco, Timashov, and Korostelev are complete steals. Dermott they must really like... Seems to have a few similarities to Keith. These cerebral high iq two way dmen are the new NHL, hope he can turn into another Stralman type.

Toad

May 18, 2013
Aside from perhaps not taking a goalie, I'm very satisfied with the types of players they selected.

I think tracking the progress of several of these players (along with the Marlies) will provide more entertainment value (and certainly less "pain") than watching the big club next year.

B+

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
80.0/100 ...The lowest A possible. Like almost all the picks. Impressed with the Latvian's scouting reports. Glad we picked up the extra picks but also slightly soured how we assumed we would get Larsson at 29 and had him ripped from our grasp. Barring me being wrong: 85.0/100. I think it's safe to assume however by the look on Dubas' face that Larsson was their target.

Big Shot

Apr 23, 2012
Oshawa
Marlies get an A

But the Big Club gets an F

I think the 4 headed management team, secured a great future for the
farm Club BUT totally ignored the needs of the parent Club.

I'm going to start calling for Shanahan's head, Hunter is better served as the
Farm Team's player development director.

Time to clean house!! They blew this one!!:laugh::shakehead:laugh::shakehead:laugh::shakehead

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Barzal fell (bar-none, the best part of day one), Merkley fell, even Provorov went lower than expected. Goes to show how little we as posters know, which I absolutely love.

Leafs got a plethora of talent. All in all, a good weekend.

just because someone fell lower in the draft doesn't mean anyone is wrong at this point, teams make mistakes, teams who failed to pick Fowler when he was the 3rd-4th ranked prospect and fell to the early teens. a bunch of teams currenty look like idiot's for not taking him. same can be said about Saad and there are a bunch of other examples.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
just because someone fell lower in the draft doesn't mean anyone is wrong at this point, teams make mistakes, teams who failed to pick Fowler when he was the 3rd-4th ranked prospect and fell to the early teens. a bunch of teams currenty look like idiot's for not taking him. same can be said about Saad and there are a bunch of other examples.

Dylan McIlrath picked ahead of Cam Fowler is still a headscratcher for me. Not quite sure what the Rangers were doing there.

suprvilce

Sep 12, 2006
I'm gonna go and give it a C.

I think if we go look in threads for previous drafts most people give them A- or B or something like that, and it's just not realistic. Some i think are too obsessed with when a player predicted by some to go in ~2nd round goes in 5th or later immediately scream "Steal!". Flip the coin and when a player gets selected at a certain pick when he's expected to go (much) later same people aren't happy, thinking "we could have had him in later rounds".

Usually we can look at our a draft or a propsect pool from the 'glass half full' or 'glass half empty' prospective. While neither is really correct, history over the last 10 years show that the 'glass half empty' prospective is much more accurate when judging Maple Leafs prospects.

I like the draft. I do hope we get some quality NHL players from it (except Marnier who ofc i expect to be an impace player). It would be great for this team if we could get a Mark Stone, Damon Severson, Ondrej Palat, Sami Vatanen, Mattias Ekholm type impact player in later round.

The thing i'm most excited about is that we're looking for players with skill, not going with the Barron Smith type picks from Burke era, where he said (or was it Morrison) after the draft he was picked mainly because someone in his family was an NHL player and they were picking him for his bloodline or some nonsense like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad