Grade the Off-season so far

Grade the Off-Season so far

• Total voters

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
For me this is a clear "C" Season.

What happened this Offseason near nothing.

Holes cleared Top 6 Winger with Hoffmann
Holes stuffed still Question mark, Top 4 Player/tougher person - 1yr KHL Player (that is no solution, its more a power strap and praying it holds)
Holes only stuffed Goalie Position - Better future Starting Goalie- Better 3rd Goalie singed, here prays Loungo stay healthy and can play 100%, same count for reimer(no real solution another power strap)
So you find a solution next Off-Season.

No Buy Out, no Money shipped out, remember DT said PK after Season ended, we shipping bad Money out, nothing happend. Pay McK and Haley not bad or anything, but still not the best Situation its straight C stay with those who was (sarcasm on)"SUPER"(sarcasm off) last Season. Still paying 3,3 Million for a 3rd Line Winger, its not 4 anymoe but still. Stick with it. So straight C not super bad, but sure not good.
More youth and Depth added for Springfield for have a better season and developing, people come people gone. As usual.

For my understanding of an Offseason, its straight C, you close one hole but let the other once leaking, not sure ths could be B. Its more hope&pray.

@Jean Luc Discard
Serious this Offseason was an "A"? Did we find the best and optimal solution to all our problems.
I go now more sceptical into your answer and thoughts after this conclusion that this is an A Grade Offseason.
If I may ask you to consider why I voted with the As...

Weren't we the best team from the All Star break til the end of the season?

We already have a whole slew of up and comers that look like they could compete for a main roster spot. At this point I'm of the strong impression that Gildon and Montembeault can turn into something major if they do the right thing given the chance.

What's most important to me is that we haven't really changed anything from the team that was another team's last game loss away from catching up to the postseason. Especially since none of the free agents available to us seemed worth interrupting that. This is the situation we faced after Vince was tripped. Then the owners got their asses in a snit and f***ed everything up.

Now, not to fail to learn from previous experiences/mistakes, we stand pat and stay the course. A.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
If I may ask you to consider why I voted with the As...

Weren't we the best team from the All Star break til the end of the season?

We already have a whole slew of up and comers that look like they could compete for a main roster spot. At this point I'm of the strong impression that Gildon and Montembeault can turn into something major if they do the right thing given the chance.

What's most important to me is that we haven't really changed anything from the team that was another team's last game loss away from catching up to the postseason. Especially since none of the free agents available to us seemed worth interrupting that. This is the situation we faced after Vince was tripped. Then the owners got their asses in a snit and ****ed everything up.

Now, not to fail to learn from previous experiences/mistakes, we stand pat and stay the course. A.

Please give me your definition on

A Grade
B Grade
C Grade
D Grade
E Grade

I give you mine right now

A Grade = everything is in perfect shape nothing to do nothing to make, best possible addition, no holes, no Question, everything fine
B Grade = mostly every Hole filled, maybe one least hole not filled,
C Grade = Nothing much changed afterwards, smaller Question mark closed, but holes and problem still there. Nothing much gaining forward
D Grade = You Offseason Movements was more bad that good but you brought something in, but that even brings it
E Grade = Are you still the GM of this Team, it cant be worse then now

But do nothing if you know you have a problem or fill it with something thin. Its like you have a hole in the Garden and you know the hole is a problem to fix. Lets make it 3 of them.
First one you fix it and fill it up solid Foundation, Second One you fill it with Sand at least you fill it, but when the rain comes, its doesnt is the best material to fix it. Third hole fill up half with sand, cover it, make a bit eaarth on it and hopes it holds.

Sorry making no movements on a Situation you know its badly, is bad you only let look bad, good. Its like Illusion magic. When no movements is the best option, why we even trade for players. Why not let everyone play till 40-45. Aslong you reach the PO. and then switch all the Players and start again.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
Yup. Need Norris candidate Panarian to fix it.
u feel good about misreading my comment and responding with that nonsense? I was clearly alluding to the fact that even with panarin we've done little to upgrade our bad defense. that's an extremely generous A- if they got panarin. as it stands they get a D because were a wildcard team and only maybe. unless anyone thinks that hoffman as the only significant upgrade, turns a 9th seed team into a cup contender. and if were not contending now during the prime years of our cores career and low contracts, then when will we ever compete for a cup? I think its pretty obvious that the owners answer is never. and never's not good enough for me. sorry if it is for u. They get a D. and its bordering on F. its the 25th season in a row theyll have failed to spend among the top of the league and put together a real nhl roster. if it didnt make u want to throw up watching dale say he was happy and relaxed to do nothing in free agency or make any trades, i dont know how to help u. I'm not ok with going into a quarter century with zero chance to win the cup.

Last edited:

Breaking Dadonov

Jan 25, 2018
Still a lot of question marks in this lineup way too many for me to be content. At least we got Hoffman but we really need to bring in another forward so we don’t have to rely on wildcards like Bjugstad, Vatrano, Tippet, Malgin...the list goes on.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
@GermanPanther maybe I'm admittedly higher on our personnel than most, but when this particular group is healthy and on their game, well I feel like it explains us being the best team in the last 3rd of the season...would you not see why Id think it would continue in the playoffs if the Rangers dont blow that last game? It'd be silly to argue either way lol, so yeah I stick by your definiton of A. There was that one constant rotation forward spot. Hoffman. Hole filled!

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Still a lot of question marks in this lineup way too many for me to be content. At least we got Hoffman but we really need to bring in another forward so we don’t have to rely on wildcards like Bjugstad, Vatrano, Tippet, Malgin...the list goes on.

Way too many question marks? The List goes on? Who are we, the Ottawa Senators? Its a good problem to have when you project that your worst top six winger (Bjugstad) is a 20-25g/50p player. The Panthers have one of the best top 6s in the league, and loads of options to fill the bottom six. The team has never had this much depth or talent available prior to any season, ever. The only "hole" they really need to fill is another Dman. Mack is a hole as well, but easily filled if they decided to replace him with McCann.

I dont know what else some of you guys want to happen. If you are looking to have superstars on every line, its simply not going to happen.

Last edited:

Olax

Jun 15, 2009
I would give this off-season a B+ so far.

So far Tallon has met all the (minimum) requirements of solidifying all areas without giving up anything.

Adding Hoffman is obviously a huge boost to solidify our top 6 as one of the best in the league IMO.
I also like the signing of Kiselevich. Really liked his play in the Olympics and WC.
Adding Hutchinson is probably as good of a replacement for Säteri as possible and from what I read/heard about his willingness to work in that 3rd string goalie/mentor role for Monty, sounds like a perfect fit.

To get the grade to be a perfect A/A+ however, would require a trade that would upgrade one of our current defensemen (mainly Petro or Pysyk). Replacing one of these #5-6 defensemen with a solid #3-4 would make our team feel almost like a possible cup contender. Even as it is now and considering how well the team played after getting it all together last season, I feel confident that we are at the very least a playoff team next season.

The depth that we have now, especially the handful of forwards outside top 6 kinda almost top 6 ready, helps us to withstand even some single injuries to some key forwards. (Maybe not Barkov though because Barky = Android-god) In previous seasons it felt like if any of Barkov, Trocheck, Huberdeau went down, we were limited to 0.5-1 good line.

It is also interesting to see how Boughner will go with these 6 top forwards. Are we going with a clear top 6 - bottom 6 or are we going to run a top 9 - bottom 3 kind of system.

All in all, this is the most confident I've been with the team during off-season, probably ever.

-L-

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
u feel good about misreading my comment and responding with that nonsense? I was clearly alluding to the fact that even with panarin we've done little to upgrade our bad defense. that's an extremely generous A- if they got panarin. as it stands they get a D because were a wildcard team and only maybe. unless anyone thinks that hoffman as the only significant upgrade, turns a 9th seed team into a cup contender. and if were not contending now during the prime years of our cores career and low contracts, then when will we ever compete for a cup? I think its pretty obvious that the owners answer is never. and never's not good enough for me. sorry if it is for u. They get a D. and its bordering on F. its the 25th season in a row theyll have failed to spend among the top of the league and put together a real nhl roster. if it didnt make u want to throw up watching dale say he was happy and relaxed to do nothing in free agency or make any trades, i dont know how to help u. I'm not ok with going into a quarter century with zero chance to win the cup.

It is a real NHL roster, and we are near the top in regards to spending to the cap currently.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
It is a real NHL roster, and we are near the top in regards to spending to the cap currently.

I have to agree. The ownership is again screwing the fans. Dalé wasn't even mentioned to be on the hunt for Johnny T, let alone Erik Karlsson who still available. It's kinda awkward when the Cats already acquired Hoffman and now EK would have to join our ranks, but everything has a price. Vinny Viola just needs to pony up the dough, send Huberdeau the other way to fit this ship under cap draw bridge. Where's the commitment, Dalé and the ownership?!

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA

1. I read your comment for what it is. Your comment reads as if Panarin is the answer to our defense. In the process of writing your cutting edge post, I guess you missed that

2. You are already made mention that you hate all our players, so obviously you wont be happy. So why not just give it at F and be done with it. Or did you not mean that too?

3. I mentioned already that I wanted a D as well. But that doesnt mean they deserve a D grade. That's ridiculous. Do you know how good or bad Kiselvich is? We weren't the only team interested in him so maybe give him a chance? Do we know if Ekblad maybe took another step? How about Matheson? Quit your ridiculous hyperbole "hate" tirade and actually consider things for once.

How about Hoffman? Just by adding him you instantly improve 3 lines just by having more talent distributed. Barkov will be better, Trocheck, Huberdeau, etc. Our best players arent in the back-nine of their careers, rather they are entering their primes. Also, the adjustment period for the coaches and the system is done. That also makes the team better right away.

I wanted De Haan. It didn't happen. That doesn't knock the grade down, it keeps it as is.

I'm at a C+ bordering on B-.

Off season ain't done yet.

Last edited:

Breaking Dadonov

Jan 25, 2018
Way too many question marks? The List goes on? Who are we, the Ottawa Senators? Its a good problem to have when you project that your worst top six winger (Bjugstad) is a 20-25g/50p player. The Panthers have one of the best top 6s in the league, and loads of options to fill the bottom six. The team has never had this much depth or talent available prior to any season, ever. The only "hole" they really need to fill is another Dman. Mack is a hole as well, but easily filled if they decided to replace him with McCann.

I dont know what else some of you guys want to happen. If you are looking to have superstars on every line, its simply not going to happen.
You don't see multiple question marks? How about our first pairing? Which has two similar defensemen that are not at their best going against top competition. How about our shaky second pairing relying on the over commiting Matheson and an unproven KHLer. How about our goaltending? Luongo gets hurt, we rely on Reimer again which we know by now is a crap shoot. Our bottom 6? Comprised of small players who do show potential, but also comprised of washed up vets who shouldn't be playing (excluding Scevior) Bjugstad as a first line winger? Question mark in my view too. People are being blinded by the fact we got Hoffman. Barkov, Dadonov, Trocheck, Hoffman and sometimes Huberdeau are great, but outside of that plenty of question marks.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
How are some of you guys so low on our defense? Do you guys really not remember the last 2 1/2 months of the Panthers recent season...a few months ago...?

Explain with some detail and without some stupid smiley face or attempt at a wise crack please?

Breaking Dadonov

Jan 25, 2018
How are some of you guys so low on our defense? Do you guys really not remember the last 2 1/2 months of the Panthers recent season...a few months ago...?

Explain with some detail and without some stupid smiley face or attempt at a wise crack please?
Defense was pretty awful first half of the season and it seemed the team got it together the second half with much better goaltending. Yandle and Ekblad as a first pairing worries me. Too similar, too many turnovers. Matheson still has growing to do he makes a lot of bone headed plays and has bad positioning in front of the net, as talented as he may be. Kiselvich is an unknown. Third paring I’m ok with but other than that the D leaves a lot to be desired in my view.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013

The defense was still a liabilities during the streak. The first line and the special teams were carrying the team.

Reactions: Breaking Dadonov

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Defense was pretty awful first half of the season and it seemed the team got it together the second half with much better goaltending. Yandle and Ekblad as a first pairing worries me. Too similar, too many turnovers. Matheson still has growing to do he makes a lot of bone headed plays and has bad positioning in front of the net, as talented as he may be. Kiselvich is an unknown. Third paring I’m ok with but other than that the D leaves a lot to be desired in my view.

Matheson - Ek is a better tandem because when you put Yandle and Ek together both of 'em are constantly pinching in and neither are excellent at covering for each others' mistakes. Kiselevich is a bottom pairing dman and it remains to be seen if Dalé is going to carry Pysyk, Petrovic and Weegar into the next season. Pysyk is the odd man out because he's not a top4 dman, but if forced to play that role he's better than Petro. But Petrovic is a better bottom pairing dman than Pysyk and probably carries a cheaper price tag. Weegar has potential to grow whereas we have probably seen already what Pysyk's abilities are. It is difficult to make a big deal for a dman since you're looking at losing the guy after two years when Seattle' exp draft is held.

Last edited:

Gaebriel

Jan 17, 2004
DC
Probably not many? This team addressed the biggest weakness it had. I was around when the biggest acquisitions were Joey Crabb and Scott Gomez. I think for most of the board, playoffs is the goal, and though health is always a variable, if healthy they should qualify.

Here's what everyone said just prior to the 2016 debacle.

pb1300: "A without a doubt. The best offseason in team history."
Kid Icarus: "Easy A"
GermanPanther: A-
Pumaconcolorcoryi: B
Acadmus: "Incomplete. I think the jury has to be out on this offseason until we've had a chance to see the team in action. If they make things worse, it's an F."
Kellyr: B
IM Clutcm: B
FlaPnthrsPunk: A-
catEye: A+
FinlandPanther: "Easily an A."
ucanthanzalthetruth: B+
PanthersHockey1: A
Chaos2k7: "A if we win the Stanley Cup, B+ for this franchise"

Acadmus with the only logical opinion in the entire thread. Just because sports writers are spitting hot takes about the offseason to desperately attract eyeballs and sell clicks prior to the deadest part of the hockey year, doesn't mean everyone else should be doing it too. Best wait until you see how things go before handing out GM of the year awards in July.

Reactions: Jakeybonz

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Here's what everyone said just prior to the 2016 debacle.

pb1300: "A without a doubt. The best offseason in team history."
Kid Icarus: "Easy A"
GermanPanther: A-
Pumaconcolorcoryi: B
Acadmus: "Incomplete. I think the jury has to be out on this offseason until we've had a chance to see the team in action. If they make things worse, it's an F."
Kellyr: B
IM Clutcm: B
FlaPnthrsPunk: A-
catEye: A+
FinlandPanther: "Easily an A."
ucanthanzalthetruth: B+
PanthersHockey1: A
Chaos2k7: "A if we win the Stanley Cup, B+ for this franchise"

Acadmus with the only logical opinion in the entire thread. Just because sports writers are spitting hot takes about the offseason to desperately attract eyeballs and sell clicks prior to the deadest part of the hockey year, doesn't mean everyone else should be doing it too. Best wait until you see how things go before handing out GM of the year awards in July.

True.

But the whole idea of the thread is based on playing things out on paper, which is pointless as we always see later on. But it's not like there's much else to do in the summer.

The only reasonable position would be to take a wait and see attitude like Academus took but that wouldn't make much of a thread.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica

To be fair this is the same defense that a couple years ago with Tom Rowe at the helm, that a few posters didnt think would be even NHL quality, let alone that they would be even able to be taught.

The comments about no hockey IQ, no physical skills, are still funny to this day.

The same exact guys suffered a terrible season with TR, and are the exact same guys that with a new system under BB, now gives everyone one hope for the future.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Probably not many? This team addressed the biggest weakness it had. I was around when the biggest acquisitions were Joey Crabb and Scott Gomez. I think for most of the board, playoffs is the goal, and though health is always a variable, if healthy they should qualify. The east is so bad.

TBL, BOS, WSH, TOR, PIT are 1 tier
CBJ, FLA, PHI, NJD are 2nd

CAR is pretty much on their own in tier 3

MTL, DET, BUF, NYR, are tier 4

NYI and OTT are tier-2000

Carolina needs to be on the 2nd tier, Devils were the biggest 1 man team this past season, Carolina has one of the best D-groups in the league from 1-7 and have 2 potential franchise forwards developing at F.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad