Grade the Off-season so far

Grade the Off-Season so far

• Total voters

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Looks like we're done for the off-season. I made a similar thread last year: https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/grade-the-off-season-so-far.2367265/

big swing and a miss on Vrbata there, everything else was pretty accurate though.

Notable acquisitions:

#68 Mike Hoffman- 25 goal scorer brought in for pennies on the dollar due to a controversy with his wife

#55 Bogdan Kiselevich-defensive dman brought in to shore up the team after the struggles of Alex Petrovic and Mark Pysyk

#34 Micheal Hutchinson- 3rd goalie replacing Hari Sateri

I give it a B. Hoffman's cost relative to his production was great, of course his ongoing issue is a concern but I don't see how that effects him putting the puck in the net. Kiselevich allows the overmatched Pysyk to return to #6 where he excelled, and Hutchinson is a very good #3 for when Lu's on IR.

No bad moves and on paper, 1st or 2nd WC team. Only doesn't get an A because I would've like a more proven dman and another top 6 wing, but as is the top 9 is excellent. Also can't give an A because the 4th line is a mess. Granted the 4th line plays the least so it won't kill the team, but it's really bad.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I'll go C. I don't think the D has been addressed enough, unless Kisel really shines and turns out to be a gem then this grade gets bolstered for me.

I dont see how someone doesnt get traded though. But perhaps the plan is to carry 7 D and McCoshen back to the AHL

So

Yandle Ekblad
Matheson Pysyk
Kiselvich Petrovic

Unless they do Matheson Kisel and Petro Pysyk....but then you got Lefty lefty and righty righty

I dont know. And Weegs is also righty. Someone has got to get moved between the 3 excess Rightys.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
A B+ from me.
They addressed all the areas of need except the fourth line (hopefully DMac and Haley will be mostly in the pressbox). Not a fan of Hoffman's off-ice issues but he's a great addition to the top6 and we wouldn't have gotten him so cheap otherwise. Kiselevich is the kind of move I wanted for a while - a more proven guy would have been nice, but that would mean overpaying in FA or giving up assets in a trade. Our draft was good though I wish we managed to grab a D in the earlier rounds.

There's still some risk there. Kiselevich especially is a bit of a gamble, though one I like. The goalie situation is still a big question mark going forward. Hopefully, Hoffman, Kiselevich and Hutchinson will look like great shrewd moves a year from now.

Very good offseason IMO.

Sticksandsun

Mar 11, 2015
A- Hoffman is so good and so cheap. He was exactly what the team needed to make the playoffs this year.

jrockett1096

Aug 2, 2005
Miami
www.miamiestatebuyers.com
C grade. Hoffman is very good but Bjugstad still on the 1st line? 1 more top 6 guy and we are at elite level. Why not go for broke now? D. Mac is still on the team and is still the captain of this team. Huge negative. Haley is on the team and he shouldn’t be and Mamin is not a lock when he should be. Everyone here knows how bad our 4th line is and I know 4th lines aren’t supposed to be studs but our 4th line actually costs us games and it will again next year. It should be easier to improve a 4th line than the top lines but Tallon is so in love with Mac’s character and it hurts the team.

Ryuji Yamazaki

Do yuu undastahn!?
Jul 22, 2015
C+

Getting Hoffman for cheap was great but we still need a dman and a bottom 6 forward. Never seen Kiselevich play so hopefully he’s not another Hulstrum who we have penciled in to the lineup and turns out to be a nobody.

Trading Bjugstad for a dman or forward would be a step in the right direction.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
C+

Getting Hoffman for cheap was great but we still need a dman and a bottom 6 forward. Never seen Kiselevich play so hopefully he’s not another Hulstrum who we have penciled in to the lineup and turns out to be a nobody.

Trading Bjugstad for a dman or forward would be a step in the right direction.

I'd trade Bjugs and Pysyk for Montour or Malgin and Pysyk for Manson.

Reactions: Kid Icarus

SufferingCatFan

Apr 6, 2008
fort lauderdale
The off-season is not over. Voynov is now in play after his successful July 2 hearing. His addition would make us Cup contenders. Do not forget, Pacioretty, the unwanted winger, that the Habs really need to unload before the season begins. Petrovic needs to be resigned /traded etc.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I wouldn't give an A.

Hoffman was a steal, elite top5 now, one of the best in the league.

Defense needed a top4RD, yes they got an KHL player signed but he has proved nothing in the NHL and Buffalos KHL guy was a failure. He could make it but proven is needed.

Got a good 3rd goalie.

Other negatives are, expected though both Hailey& Mack in the roster and will be in the playing lineup over better players.

B something.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
B from me. Hoffman trade was a smart risk/reward, we'll see how it goes. Obvious big upside there, but his off-ice issues did partly result in a conference finalist to drop to 30th the next season...

Bring in Panarin with a good trade and this off season would be an A

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
B, for now.

B+ for Hoffman(drama knocks him down from an A
A for Hutchinson
B- for the Russian Blueliner
C for lack of any other blueline moves.

Maybe the KHL guy can surprise us, but wanted more of a sure thing in the top 4. We'll see though maybe Weegar or McCosh can step up in the summer.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I gave a B. It’s more a B-.

The reason I’m not all too happy isn’t because of lack of some improvement, because there obviously was (even though Hoffman was at least half luck).

I’m still somewhat unhappy because of lack of demotions. Tallon has not addressed our weakest links.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
The off-season is not over. Voynov is now in play after his successful July 2 hearing. His addition would make us Cup contenders. Do not forget, Pacioretty, the unwanted winger, that the Habs really need to unload before the season begins. Petrovic needs to be resigned /traded etc.
Don't want that POS anywhere near this team.

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
"A".....It would have been nice to upgrade the #4 spot in our defense. And we'll see what Kiselevich can do. But I like that Tallon is sticking to his guns about being patient and seeing how the young D core progresses after a full year + fresh offseason in Boughner's system. Adding another player isn't the only way to improve. The progress our young players make is just as (if not more) important because of the cap. We're not a true cup contender yet, so I think it's important to see what we have in these young d-men before replacing them with more expensive pieces.

We've seen our forward core group evolve to become studs, and I think our D is just a step behind (the position takes longer to develop). We still don't know what Matheson's ceiling is; he should take another leap forward this year. I think a lot of us liked what we saw with Weegar last year and he should make another stride. It's too early to write off McCoshen and even Petrovic (he's 26 but hasn't hit 300 games yet).

TL;DR We did just enough this offseason to make the playoffs and make noise, while staying patient with younger players as well. Our defense is not a finished product yet and I like that we're staying put for now until we know what we have in them.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
B/B-

Positives:
-Love the Hoffman trade and Tallon stealing him for basically nothing. Reminds me of Campbell and Roberto trades. We have a fantastic top 6, at least 5/6 should all have 60-70+ points if they stay relatively healthy.
-Got a great 3rd string goalie which is important
-Happy with the draft, no real complaints. I liked that we grabbed a Russian winger who may be boom or bust. Noel is fine but tbd, kinda reminds me of a Bjugstad type project
-Kiselevich sounds like he could be a cheap top 4 guy if you're optimistic, no risk contract
-Didn't make any Bolland UFA signings
-RFA contracts so far have been fair, if not very cap friendly

Negatives:
Didn't buyout MacKenzie. Very easy spot to upgrade and with Haley on the fourth that's not a good line. We'll still have MacK as C I assume which I don't like. This also hurts our center depth because 4C isn't good enough to get more minutes which means Barkov and Tro might play more than they should. Hopefully McCann/Borg can eat some additional minutes.
-No legit top 4 D. Everyone would agree we need a top 4RHD, but we didn't get a *proven* one. If Kiselevich turns into a top 4 guy then Tallon gets an A- from me but we'll have to see.

Reactions: Matthias Nation

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
I gave a B, but it should have been a C. I'm very happy with Hoffman and the cost to acquire him. I think the forward group will be very good if Haley and Mack don't play. Them not being bought out lowers the grade. They are both below replacement level and they cost us goals in spades. For a fringe team, having the worst fourth line in the league is not an option when it could easily be internally upgraded. (Don't give me that Mack is good on the PK because he wasn't last season)

I still hope we are in on De Haan. Something needs to be done to take the load of Yandle and Ekblad, they are in way over their head. I'm not sure Kiselevich is the answer but hopefully, he is.

Jakeybonz

Jan 1, 2018
D if no panarin. A- if panarin. were either a pretender or a contender. hoff and kissel aren't tavares and mcdonaugh. our rivals got better and we moved the needle only slightly. its meaningless. we're a bubble team still. dale and the owners are fine with that. we don't need to be. not after this long of nothingness. give us a real roster!

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
b- although i was hoping for one more move during free agency.

how to encourage bjug to spend some extra time working on his shot?

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
D if no panarin. A- if panarin. were either a pretender or a contender. hoff and kissel aren't tavares and mcdonaugh. our rivals got better and we moved the needle only slightly. its meaningless. we're a bubble team still. dale and the owners are fine with that. we don't need to be. not after this long of nothingness. give us a real roster!
lol @ only a- if we get Panarian

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
B- for me. Wish we chased a more proven top 4 D but with the added offense and familiarity within the star forwards, the young and hungry bottom 6 tweeners and 6 of 7 D knowing the system, we should be able to get off to a great start to the year.

Health of Lu, Barkov, Trocheck, Ekblad and the special teams are my biggest X factors going into the year.
Don't see why we can't challenge for a top 3 spot in Atlantic and if not, nab a wildcard spot.

Last edited:

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
As of now, giving it a B-

Love the Hoffman trade. Bogdan seems like a good pick up but we'll have to wait and see. The draft seemed good but again, you'll have to wait a few years to know for sure. Maybe we still get Panarin/Patches?

-ghoste

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad