Grade the Off-season so far

Grade the Off-Season so far

• Total voters

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Why does it not make sense to play the way we played for the second half?

We have the same guys. But rested and healthier.

Don't fix what ain't broke.

You been wrong again with your theory, we dont have the same Players. We make addition on the Teams, its can´t be the same Players.
So you adjust your Player on the Adds we make so far.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
You been wrong again with your theory, we dont have the same Players. We make addition on the Teams, its can´t be the same Players.
So you adjust your Player on the Adds we make so far.
We have the same players, that's not wrong...who did we lose? Sure we added a couple, but we DO have the same guys. Unlike when we lost a few key pieces last time we were cheated out of the playoffs..

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
They're in our division and we play them a lot. I also think most people consider this a playoff team so we're looking ahead.
Meh, I'd have agreed more under the old 8 game division scheduling or if Tavares and Karlsson went West. Last year Florida was 1 for 4 vs Tampa, split vs Ottawa and Toronto, and took 2 of 3 from NYI.

Florida should sweep NYI and Ottawa this season, so even if they go 1 for 4 against Toronto and Tampa they aren't losing ground.

Also Tampa could add McDavid in addition to Karlsson and I think Florida would still push them to 6 or 7, they always play close games.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I do get the "yeah Hoffman is a good add but look at Toronto and Tampa, they killed it" sentiment, but for a franchise that's made the playoffs 5 times in 24 years, having an off-season where they've done enough so a lot of pundits have them as a WC team is fine for me.

Like I said before I would ask you to look at New Jersey's or the Blue Jackets off-season and compare it to Florida's instead of Toronto or Tampa.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I do get the "yeah Hoffman is a good add but look at Toronto and Tampa, they killed it" sentiment, but for a franchise that's made the playoffs 5 times in 24 years, having an off-season where they've done enough so a lot of pundits have them as a WC team is fine for me.

Like I said before I would ask you to look at New Jersey's or the Blue Jackets off-season and compare it to Florida's instead of Toronto or Tampa.

Toronto and Tampa were already ahead of the Panthers, so it doesn't really matter what they do. We should not be in an arms race with Tampa and toronto. We are trying to get to where they were last year. When the time comes, we will add our tavares/karlsson. You don't go from arithmetic straight to calculus. Their is a learning curve and development that a team has to go through at each step of its construction. You have to learn to walk before you can run.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I don’t know how many times this needs to be stated (because it’s obvious), but come playoffs, you actually need to win four 7-game series to get the Cup.

Past history shows that “best on paper” does not have a strong correlation with “SC winner”.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Nah, the way they started the season chasing the puck and giving up a ton of offensive chances, was scrapped when they saw how that was going.
Nah, they continued the horror of the Rowe Zone at the beginning of the year, not until every player was comfortable and knew where they needed to be did they make leaps and bounds.

Posters were saying Ekblad wasnt an NHL defenseman at the beginning of the year, lol.

Every single Dman made strides last season, plus a much better showing from our bottom 6 forwards as well.

Reactions: RainingRats

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Nah, they continued the horror of the Rowe Zone at the beginning of the year, not until every player was comfortable and knew where they needed to be did they make leaps and bounds.

Posters were saying Ekblad wasnt an NHL defenseman at the beginning of the year, lol.

Every single Dman made strides last season, plus a much better showing from our bottom 6 forwards as well.
What ever helps you sleep better at night. They way they played at the beginning of the year was a specific system to pressure the puck as they stated many times before that, and as one could plainly see them trying to do. It just left big gaps for other teams to exploit. And it put every player in a bad position defensively. And everyone was constantly in a emergency recovery mode. That's bad defense, and a bad defensive philosophy. And then they noticeably backed off, and stopped trying to chase the puck all over the ice, and worried more about being in good defensive position out of necessity.
And what I said is really nothing. It's not earth shattering. I don't see what the big deal is.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I don’t know how many times this needs to be stated (because it’s obvious), but come playoffs, you actually need to win four 7-game series to get the Cup.

Past history shows that “best on paper” does not have a strong correlation with “SC winner”.
Thats what this team is counting on.

Whats amazing is how many people that have been around this game for so long talked about Vegas being a fluke as if they have no idea the sentiment you just posted or how the players that were selected fit that bill...

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Would I like to see another star forward signed? Sure...but I can't complain too loudly when just about everyone from this season will be back when they were one of the best teams in the league for the last 3 months. It's impossible to grade until we see how they play when they return to action in another...*whimper*...3 months.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad