Grade the Off-season so far

Grade the Off-Season so far

• Total voters

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
I’d echo the B- score. Still think we are going to thin out the fwds before camp and would’ve liked to see another RHD signed. Hoffman is good player (with risk associated).

Reactions: Chaos2k7

Pragmatic Panther

Feb 7, 2018
I'm giving Tallon and the Panthers a solid A. We traded for a top-tier LW for peanuts, giving us one of the most potent top 6 F lineups in the league. We signed Kiselvich who could be a boom or bust, but for relatively cheap. I liked our draft, particularly Denisenko and Hutsko. I think the most important thing that we did was not make a stupid free-agent signing, who will be an anchor of a contract s few years from now. I think another year of the Boogie man's system and another step forward for our young core. Hot take: We are a contender this year. We were one of the best team's in the league after the All-star Break, and we just upgraded.

Although contrarian, I don't particularly like the moves by Tampa and Toronto. Tavares @ 11 Milllion / year is a lot. I really liked the way that Toronto was going, but now they owe big money to JT for a long time and they still haven't upgraded their defense with Nylander, Marner, and Matthews up for big contracts. Tampa just signed Mcdonagh for 7 years at 6.7M AAV he's almost 30. I think that UFA's have become a trap in the NHL, but thats just my opinion.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
B from me too.

Great trade, a handful of good signings, and no bad signings (most important part here). But not buying out MacKenzie and Haley and therefore not improving the 4th line will hurt a little. Also wish we added one more piece on D. They're still a little weaker than I'd like.

All told, I see 10 competitive teams in the east. Avoiding injuries and no major slumps from last year's scorers should lock us in to ATL3 or WC1/2.

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
If Bjugstad, a 50-point player is the worst player in your top 6, you're doing all right.

I give us a B+. We did what we needed to do, but I still don't love our defense as a whole.

Reactions: gizmo12688

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Although contrarian, I don't particularly like the moves by Tampa and Toronto. Tavares @ 11 Milllion / year is a lot. I really liked the way that Toronto was going, but now they owe big money to JT for a long time and they still haven't upgraded their defense with Nylander, Marner, and Matthews up for big contracts. Tampa just signed Mcdonagh for 7 years at 6.7M AAV he's almost 30. I think that UFA's have become a trap in the NHL, but thats just my opinion.

I agree about Tampa, but disagree about Toronto. Whenever you can get a Center as good as Tavares you do it. Will they have Cap problem after next season? Maybe, but they will have a legitimate shot at the Cup next season and be a contender for a long time with 2 elite centers. Matthews and Tavares elevate the play of the players on their line so they'll be able to roll the dice with some tweeners there and save money. I'm really not happy that they are in such a good position.

Pragmatic Panther

Feb 7, 2018
I agree about Tampa, but disagree about Toronto. Whenever you can get a Center as good as Tavares you do it. Will they have Cap problem after next season? Maybe, but they will have a legitimate shot at the Cup next season and be a contender for a long time with 2 elite centers. Matthews and Tavares elevate the play of the players on their line so they'll be able to roll the dice with some tweeners there and save money. I'm really not happy that they are in such a good position.

I just see Toronto getting into an Edmonton like situation McDavid @ 13M and Draisatl @ 10.5 M . I see them as a perennial regular season juggernaut, but I just don't see that team as built to play playoff hockey.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I'm giving Tallon and the Panthers a solid A. We traded for a top-tier LW for peanuts, giving us one of the most potent top 6 F lineups in the league. We signed Kiselvich who could be a boom or bust, but for relatively cheap. I liked our draft, particularly Denisenko and Hutsko. I think the most important thing that we did was not make a stupid free-agent signing, who will be an anchor of a contract s few years from now. I think another year of the Boogie man's system and another step forward for our young core. Hot take: We are a contender this year. We were one of the best team's in the league after the All-star Break, and we just upgraded.

The Cats are definitely a deadly team for the next season, let alone the next 5-10 years. I just don't think we have the bottom6 to go far in the playoffs: MacK is one step away from a nursing home, McGinn is too lax and doesn't contribute defensively, the PK still relies too much on Barkov and Trocheck i.e. gotta get McCann going and get more help on that front, etc. Still very much a work-in-progress but the top9 should be top3 in the league in a 'bout one or two years time.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
For me this is a clear "C" Season.

What happened this Offseason near nothing.

Holes cleared Top 6 Winger with Hoffmann
Holes stuffed still Question mark, Top 4 Player/tougher person - 1yr KHL Player (that is no solution, its more a power strap and praying it holds)
Holes only stuffed Goalie Position - Better future Starting Goalie- Better 3rd Goalie singed, here prays Loungo stay healthy and can play 100%, same count for reimer(no real solution another power strap)
So you find a solution next Off-Season.

No Buy Out, no Money shipped out, remember DT said PK after Season ended, we shipping bad Money out, nothing happend. Pay McK and Haley not bad or anything, but still not the best Situation its straight C stay with those who was (sarcasm on)"SUPER"(sarcasm off) last Season. Still paying 3,3 Million for a 3rd Line Winger, its not 4 anymoe but still. Stick with it. So straight C not super bad, but sure not good.
More youth and Depth added for Springfield for have a better season and developing, people come people gone. As usual.

For my understanding of an Offseason, its straight C, you close one hole but let the other once leaking, not sure ths could be B. Its more hope&pray.

@Jean Luc Discard
Serious this Offseason was an "A"? Did we find the best and optimal solution to all our problems.
I go now more sceptical into your answer and thoughts after this conclusion that this is an A Grade Offseason.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
B- for me. Wish we chased a more proven top 4 D but with the added offense and familiarity within the star forwards, the young and hungry bottom 6 tweeners and 6 of 7 D knowing the system, we should be able to get off to a great start to the year.

Health of Lu, Barkov, Trocheck, Ekblad and the special teams are my biggest X factors going into the year.
Don't see why we can't challenge for a top 3 spot in Atlantic and if not, nab a wildcard spot.

Shouldn't you be more positive than me ;)

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
B+...would have been an A if Haley and/or Mack were bought out. Hopefully they get the Shawn Thornton treatment and only play about 40-50 games this season and are mostly around for off-ice/leadership reasons.

Anyway, for those saying we need Panarin or Pacioretty...we have under $5M of cap space and we still need to sign Petro and/or Weegar. Viola said in an interview recently that we're likely going to sit at around $75M going into the season, so we'll see how that shakes out. We aren't in a position to take on more salary right now and we don't want to handcuff ourselves if we end up needing to dole out some cash in a few years on guys like Borg, Tippett, etc. or if we feel the need to add at the deadline in order to make a playoff run.

We improved our top 6 by filling a big hole. We legitimately have 3-4 guys that should be pushing 70 pts and another couple that should have 50+. We have solid depth and experience at D, I think we're in a good spot. Bottom 6 battles in camp should be interesting.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
I'm not sure what's ppl are complaining about Haley. That his playmaking skills are not adequate? Yeah, that's the exact reason why Boughner needs him on the roster. Some no-name AHL-fodder decides to have an bright idea of making a name for himself in the league by taking out Barkov and who do we have to take the 5+20 if not Haley? No one.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
I think B is fair.

Kiselvich is an unknown. I would have liked a proven name in the top 4 and was willing to make a trade for it.

That said, excited to see what could be a very capable offensive Panthers. Just need Lu to not break a hip.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
I'm not sure what's ppl are complaining about Haley. That his playmaking skills are not adequate? Yeah, that's the exact reason why Boughner needs him on the roster. Some no-name AHL-fodder decides to have an bright idea of making a name for himself in the league by taking out Barkov and who do we have to take the 5+20 if not Haley? No one.

Everyone from the 4th or 3rd Line who isn´t in a special Team could do the Job or let it pass. How many fights we had last Year, how many teams bullied as around. Not that much, there are only a handful of Games you need him anymore. When its only about haveing a fighter in the Team, there is Brown in the AHL, when i look at his PIM wheight and Size, i could add him as 4th Liner to fight job done.
4th Liner Minutes doesnt make it that much and with an natural born defensman, he would bring it more physical Game and grit and better D-Game in those Minutes.

The Days of Fighting are not over there will be always some Fights, but the Days of have a Fighther only for that Role is over. For my side he can stay this Year, make his 5 fights in the Season for his happiness. Young Player take this role over, thing is done.

Last edited:

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
B from me too.

Great trade, a handful of good signings, and no bad signings (most important part here). But not buying out MacKenzie and Haley and therefore not improving the 4th line will hurt a little. Also wish we added one more piece on D. They're still a little weaker than I'd like.

All told, I see 10 competitive teams in the east. Avoiding injuries and no major slumps from last year's scorers should lock us in to ATL3 or WC1/2.
Who's the 10th? 8 playoff teams from last year, Florida and ?

And I'm very skeptical of NJD. They added nothing. i'll put them in contention but we'll see.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
Who's the 10th? 8 playoff teams from last year, Florida and ?

And I'm very skeptical of NJD. They added nothing. i'll put them in contention but we'll see.
I can't rule out Carolina yet. Their blue line is stacked. If Mrazek has an average to above average year I'd bet they sneak in.

Breaking Dadonov

Jan 25, 2018
I’ll give it a B-. We did address a big need at wing but as long as Bjugstad is on our first line I will have my doubts. I don’t care about individual points, I care about game to game play. Bjugstad does not play D well, does not skate well, does not pass particularly well. His one asset is his shot, which he hardly gets on goal. We also didn’t comfortably address D. While I agree Kiselvich may be good we have no idea how he’ll adjust to the NHL. Hutchinson was a good signing, no complaints there. I may be in the minority but I still believe there is work to be done if we want to contend with Boston, Tampa and Toronto.

Last edited:

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
I can't rule out Carolina yet. Their blue line is stacked. If Mrazek has an average to above average year I'd bet they sneak in.

Carolina declared them self, that they are in a second rebuild mode, going after Players and prospects who help them better, then they player before. Thats why they switched anything, GM, Coach, Players give away young Player, cause they dont like his Way of Hockey. I hope no one forgot about this.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Carolina declared them self, that they are in a second rebuild mode, going after Players and prospects who help them better, then they player before. Thats why they switched anything, GM, Coach, Players give away young Player, cause they dont like his Way of Hockey. I hope no one forgot about this.

Yeah, we started a rebuild when Tallon first arrived, but actually made the playoffs. Just because a team is going into rebuild mode, does not mean they won't make the playoffs.

Gaebriel

Jan 17, 2004
DC
I wonder how many offseasons/drafts have been rated A or B by posters on this board prior to yet another playoff-less season.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I wonder if we are interested in De Haan. Frankly, I am surprised he is still out there. If we get him, I will definitely bump the grade to probably an A.

Would also have to believe if we signed him, a trade HAS TO happen involving Pysyk or Petrovic (likely Petrovic).

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I wonder how many offseasons/drafts have been rated A or B by posters on this board prior to yet another playoff-less season.
Probably not many? This team addressed the biggest weakness it had. I was around when the biggest acquisitions were Joey Crabb and Scott Gomez. I think for most of the board, playoffs is the goal, and though health is always a variable, if healthy they should qualify. The east is so bad.

TBL, BOS, WSH, TOR, PIT are 1 tier
CBJ, FLA, PHI, NJD are 2nd

CAR is pretty much on their own in tier 3
MTL, DET, BUF, NYR, are tier 4

NYI and OTT are tier-2000

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I wonder if we are interested in De Haan. Frankly, I am surprised he is still out there. If we get him, I will definitely bump the grade to probably an A.

Would also have to believe if we signed him, a trade HAS TO happen involving Pysyk or Petrovic (likely Petrovic).
Capuano connection...?

We also haven't signed Petro yet so it's possible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad