Grade the blockbuster trade

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
Like with most trades all you are grading is on a knee-jerk reaction to how you expect the deal to play out in the future. No one knows whether it was a good or bad trade, we all have thoughts about the trade but there is no right or wrong answer. Five to seven years from now someone can trudge through the archives to gloat about their thoughts on this trade and the ones that were wrong could care less that their opinion five years ago was incorrect.

For the 2014/15 season both teams win the trade. Winnipeg gets who they perceive to be the better defender as well as a winger to replace the injured Kane. Buffalo wins because they lose an active UFA forward with no current replacement coming back, are equal or a little worse on defense and are more likely to finish 30th than they were before the trade.

In the near term (next two years) Buffalo acquires a 23 year old winger that plays hard on both ends of the ice, has the ability to score 30 goals and instantly becomes our best winger. Between Myers and Bogo chances are one will be better and one will be worse but there may not be much separation. Armia should get a shot in the NHL in the next year or two but what his impact will be at the NHL level is to be determined.

Long term...who knows? Do Kane, McEichel/Reinhart and _____ become a top line in the league? Can Kane and Bogosian stay healthy? Does Bogosian continue his trend towards a defensive style of hockey and take the next step towards becoming a "shut down" player? What kind of NHL players, if they make it that far, will Armia, Lemieux and the late 1st round pick become? Will Myers emerge as the beast some think he is or will become or does he continue to play well but never take that next step?

This season is a wash, the short term probably favours Buffalo and we won't know the long term fallout for years to come.

Karate Johnson*

Just saw Bogosian's contract and yeah....this trade is baaaaaaad.

He's cheaper than Myers in the only place that matters.

He's basically the same cap hit as Gorges.

Pegula affords us the ability to take on backloaded real money contracts.... It's awesome having an owner like him.

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY
I guess...I was shocked when I saw the cash. That's a lot of money...considering how much "MYERS IS OVERPAID" you see from people.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
cash out back replaces cash up front...and I had no idea he made that much...he's pretty overpaid

Sure, we're paying him a lot more than we would Myers over the rest of the contract because we paid Myers a ridiculous amount upfront, but I don't see how that matters to us. It's a fine cap hit for Bogosian. I mean, if you think Myers is a lot better than Bogosian then that's a pretty good basis for disliking the trade, but unless you think Myers was also overpaid in caphit then I don't see Bogosian's contract having any more bearing on disliking the trade.

Karate Johnson*

cash out back replaces cash up front...and I had no idea he made that much...he's pretty overpaid

He makes Josh Gorges money.

Here's what's happening:

People had an immediate overreaction to the trade.

Myers is a great young player who we know. Armia and Lemiuex are highly thought of prospects.

Our focus has been on hoarding prospects the last few years so parting with these guys, along with a coveted first rounders.

we traded them for two players who we don't know, who have had some negative press lately.

After looking at it, it's obviously a risk, but with a stop loss because of Bogosian and the potential for Kane to develop to his ceiling, it could be a great trade for the immediate future.

But if you have an immediate overreaction, in writing, on the Internet you are forced to stick with it so people are grasping at whatever bad they can in order to defend an overly pessimistic, sensationalized position.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Yea, we got a guy who will play through multiple injuries. Sounds like he's made for playoff hockey.
That maybe so but what really pisses me off now is what we paid for him despite not knowing how these injuries could effect his game.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
Shouldn't that tell you the a different story? Like he was still playing well despite three significant injuries? I didn't realize we needed to win tomorrow.

these guys will just use whatever they can to try and **** on the trade. At this point it will come out that Kane bought 2% milk tomorrow and these idiots will freak out and say he's not eating right and the trade was horrible

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
these guys will just use whatever they can to try and **** on the trade. At this point it will come out that Kane bought 2% milk tomorrow and these idiots will freak out and say he's not eating right and the trade was horrible
It was a crap trade and you know it. It pisses me off you cant admit we overpaid.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
That maybe so but what really pisses me off now is what we paid for him despite not knowing how these injuries could effect his game.

Who didn't know? Do you think Murray didn't get a physical? He talked to Kane's doctors. If you think they didn't send you a memo, then ya I can see your complaint. Human bandaid:laugh: So your telling me we are getting a warrior who played through injuries that will not affect him in the future and your upset. New lows.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
It was a crap trade and you know it. It pisses me off you cant admit we overpaid.

This is just a sign of desperation. Ive been praising the trade and said nothing but good things the last 2 days. Now you're getting pissed off and claiming I secretly hate the trade :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00